3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape gets the axe  (Read 2874 times)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tape gets the axe
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
The first few times I tried tape, it did not last long; fletching pulled free.  In subsequent attempts, it worked very well.  I think with the tape, shaft prep is more critical, as in not touching fletching locations after degreasing.  I still use both, tape when in a hurry, Fletch-tite when not.  I prefer Fletchtite.  I shoot mostly aluminums.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:00 AM »
Are you guys all using the same brand?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
I have Been using fletch tape for years and never had any problems.I dont even use the super glue that is often recommended by other users.Its been good to me and so easy to use.
Maybe some issues with some batches distibuted to others that I never have had.
I have used it in very cold and very hot weather with no problems.
My fletchings wear out before I have ever had problem with adhesion or movement.
I do press the tape down hard to the quill while in the fletching jig and to the shaft when its applied.Especially the top and bottom.I clean the shaft as well

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
Used tape once & that was enough, didn't like it at all. In hot weather feathers moved around to much. Mine was from Bohning.

I've had good luck with Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum Fletching Glue on carbons & Duco cement on wood.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 04:43:00 AM »
Never ever had an issue at all, from woodies to carbon to alloy. Only issue I had was the finish on some Carbon Express arrows was so slick, the tape would not stick.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
I have used it mostly without problems.  But did have one batch that didn't hold well at all and I had to redo the whole thing.  Bad roll, or maybe I did something wrong?  I don't really know, but I am back to glue.  

I am not in a hurry when I build arrows.  It might take me a week or more to build a set.  I do it while working on something else in the shop and just glue a feather on when I walk by the jig. Eventually a dozen is done.  Glue works great for me.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
if fletch tape appears to be causing issues, there is a problem that belongs to either the arrow components or the operator - or both.

yes, as with a bad tube of glue, there can surely be a bad roll of fletch tape.  fwiw, i will only use the bohning brand.

when you do it right, when the shaft and fletch quill base are both properly and swiftly prepped, and the tape properly laid down and applied with firm pressure, even without spot fletch gluing, the bond 'tween both will cure overnight so that when yer hunting pardner find that hog killing arrow 2 years later in the swampy woods, and even though the feather barbs are long gone to the bugs and momma nature, the quills will still be *firmly* adhered to the shaft ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
My personal opinion is why use tape if you have to use glue to hold it also, you still wait for that glue to dry, right? When I go hunting wether out of state or even at home im going to use something I have 100% confidence in, if for you that is fletch tape great, for me it is fletchtite. I have used it since I built my first dozen arrows when I was eleven yrs old and I have built 5- 10 dozen at least every year since so were talking a lot of arrows and I will stay using fletchtite or platinum until I find something better. In a pinch I might use the tape, but when Im headed on a hunt Ive spent a lot of time and trouble to make happen I don't mind having to let my feathers dry overnight. Believe me there is nothing that makes your blood boil more than when your arrow helicopters over the back of a 6 point bull at 25yds because of a loose feather (built by someone else)that should have been strapped to your pack frame.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I wrap most of my arrows with Onestringer wraps. Even the ones I did not wrap moved. Sometimes if I set an arrow on the bench it would flatten out the helical. I used Bohning tape. I had a roll of a different kind when the stuff first hit the market and I cant remember the name. That stuff held like glue and it was noticeably thinner material than the Bohning tape.

The one thing I will miss about it will be if I want to re-fletch an arrow I warm the feathers up with a hair dryer and take em off and re-use em.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by DWT:
My personal opinion is why use tape if you have to use glue to hold it also, you still wait for that glue to dry, right?....
NO glue is REQUIRED, but a dot of duco or whatever at either end of the fletch is just anal insurance.  you do this after all the shafts are fletched.  since fletch tape requires "curing", both the tape and glue takes a few hours.  

the primary difference 'tween all glue and all tape is speed of fletching, period.  other than that, neither is better. imho.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
I only use it for a quick fletch job..like testing arrow flight or something like that. Something temporary...

I too tried it for a while a few years ago. It was convenient, it was quick, etc....

But I did find that it was best to dab some glue on the front of the quill to smooth out the point.  And as Jim, if you laid the arrow on a table, or had other arrows tight against....the pressure would cause movement in the quill.  Especially in hot weather.

I've never had an issue with Fletch-tite!

But, like I said...I do like tape for quick, temporary applications    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I preped my shafts with denatured alcohal and acetone, fleched with tape and as soon as it got cold in the late season my feathers fell off . My son had his feathers slide while we were hunting in the south Texas heat. I use glue and it works !!!!...Tim

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I am glad some folks have had success, but way too many folks have had trouble w/tape.  

Mine slid like others have mentioned.

Something isn't right and it isn't as simple as poor prep or bad batch(es) of tape.  

I threw out two batches and went back to glue.

And when it is all said and done...glue works so why mess with it unless maybe you have temp. application like Guru mentioned.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Same here. I have never had much luck with it and don't trust it.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I just started to use it. I had plenty of arrows flying trough foam packs, grass, branches, hittinh each other but the feathers didn't come off.

I have just one problem with fletch tape: "Why didn't I discover it earlier...???" Its great stuff.

And BTW: it doesn't matter if I use glue or fletch-tape, I ALWAYS use a drop of glue on the front and back of each feather.

And I use Bearpaw tape.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I know guys use it but never seemed logical to me.  Bill

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Have tried it on all kinds of shafts with dismal results. Stick with glue    ;)

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
guys, maybe I am differant here, but if I need to put three dabs of glue on my fletch tape....why not just use glue and be done with it ????  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Lail:
guys, maybe I am differant here, but if I need to put three dabs of glue on my fletch tape....why not just use glue and be done with it ????   :dunno:  
I guess because you can put all three feathers on in about 1 minute, then it takes 10 seconds to put a drop of glue on the front and back of the feather and you are ready to fletch another arrow.

I always use wraps and I have never had one come loose and I hunted below freezing in Ohio and over 90 in Georgia.
When I go to refletch an arrow and rip off the old fletch, the quill is still stuck down to the shaft. Main reason I use wraps is it is easy to peel off the wrap and go again.

I have only used tape for probably the last eight years on untold dozens of arrows.
I can't see ever not using it and I am really puzzled at the bad results some get.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
What Rob D. said for me too. I shoot carbons and when I cut a fletch or want to change colors I have to scrap the quill off with a small knife blade. Never had an issue. I use alcohol to clean and then apply. Best thing since slice bread for me and it gets hot in LA.  :goldtooth:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©