3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape gets the axe  (Read 2869 times)

Re: Fletching tape gets the axe
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
The Saunders glue works good for me on metal, fiberglass and carbon. My one set of a fletch tape arrows were left in a warm car. I took my bow out and thought my arrows would be all right since I left a window open, I was wrong.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
I recall reading that the tape would work better if kept in the fridge, so my tape is now cool.    :cool:  

I use it for the convenience and have had few issues...at least not enough for me to throw it away.  And I use wood, aluminum, and carbon.

This fletch tape issue reminds me of some bow threads I've seen.  Some love a bow while others wouldn't give $20 for a barrel full.  To each his own...use what works for you...and shoot straight.
   :archer2:
Lon Scott

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
I hate it
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Bad luck here to when it came to summer heat. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Old thread, but I will add I don't like the tape anymore either.  Too much trouble with shifting feathers.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 05:44:00 AM »
No problems with tape here. I use glue for fletching.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
If I had these problems with tape I would definitely not use it, but so far no problems in heat,cold even had one lay in the wet woods for a bit and am still using it.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
I had failure with tape over wraps in zero degree temps. Never again.
Tom

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I've used the tape in the past, 2 rolls of it,and if the quill is not ground perfectly perpendicular to the rest of the feather, the tape will allow the fletch to roll over.Out of a dozen arrows I could look at the fletch from the nock end and see one or two feathers that were not in alignment .Just yesterday I shot some old arrows that were taped and it was very cold here.Second arrow brushed up against the first arrow and nocked the feather off slicker than a whistle. Tape was still on the shaft but none on the feather. I use nothing but E6000 now . It works on all shafts so no need for multiple glues, and it has gap filling properties so that not so perfect ground fletch still stays where it should. 3 bucks a tube at your local big box store.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I swear that these tape threads are the tradgang's version of gap vs. instinctive.

Though I have to admit the "as long as I add glue" to the tape it works perfect -- makes me laugh.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Never had any issue with tape... not at all! And I don't use any glue with it.  If the front of the feather isn't smooth just use a knife to make the transition smooth.

Ya’ll just send me the bad tap so your arrow building stations aren't cluttered up with "junk" that isn't in use.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
No issues yet either. I keep my tape in fridge when done with it. I was told to do that and its been working. I was always reluctant to use then I got into it and really liked the ease of using.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:
I swear that these tape threads are the tradgang's version of gap vs. instinctive.

Though I have to admit the "as long as I add glue" to the tape it works perfect -- makes me laugh.
X2. I think you broke the code lt-m-grow   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
I had some arrows where the feathers laid down or moved with tape especially in hot weather and then some arrows the feathers remained perfect over the years.

I've been going back to NPV glue the last couple of years.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
I start using tape two years ago and yes I had some of the fletching move it was my fault I did not make sure the fletching was fully seated. I still use it
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Here's how I prefer to apply fletch tape. It's a little overkill, but it works for me.

http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2014/11/fletch-tape-for-feathers.html

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Never had a problem with the tape. I always put a spot of superglue on both ends of my feathers.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Been using tape for over 12 years, never had any slippage of feathers or any come loose. If I pull the feather off for some reason, the quill stays attached to the arrow shaft and the feather rips apart.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:

Originally posted by Firstlight:
Only read page one, off to work in a minute, BUT:

This is NOT an honest assessment of the ability of Fletch Tape.  If you "Run a bead of glue along the entire quill AND a drop on both ends", how could you Give credit to the feathers staying on the shaft by using fletch tape?

To each their own, but I have tried the tape and it has failed.  I don't want to risk losing a hunting opportunity because I decided to not wait the 5 minutes it takes for the glue to dry.  We invest so much into our sport, why cheap out on the easiest part of it?  If I have to use glue to make something work...either on the ends or along the quill...I might as well not use the tape at all and just skip that step, which I do.  (I skip the tape). [/b]
Hey Mike,

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here just sharing my experience of how I use fletching tape, which works flawlessly with 15+ years of shooting in the field, thus it is an "honest assessment."  

There are no rules saying I'm not allowed to use glue and tape on the same shaft...

So to appease your fear I assure you that you won't "lose any fletch in a hunting situation" nor is it, "cheap-ing out" in any manner, applying fletch in my manner.

The only right way to fletch IMO is one that allows you to achieve the arrow flight you want so you can hit what you want, knowing your fletch won't move between shots.

These are the methods of fletching I know will work with properly prepared shafts and quill, the only right answer is the one that works best for the individual.

1.  Use Glue only.
2.  Use Fletch Tape only.
3.  Use a combo of Fletch Tape & Glue.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
As  I  wrote earlier,the  feathers folded over  in the  heat  and  they  don't  do  that  when  you use glue.

But  to  each  their  own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©