3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: underspined carbons flying good???  (Read 666 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
underspined carbons flying good???
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Ok I have to ask because every spine chart I see says this wont work but I am getting good bare shaft results and excellent fletched shaft results (the arrows just fly to  where I point).  My bow set up is this:

JD Berry Vixen (68 inches) 51# @ 27.5 inches.  I draw just about 27.5 so the 51# is accurate.  I have added a small pressure point on the side plate that increase the distance to center shot by about 1/16” of an inch.  The brace height is set at 6 ¾ inches.

The arrows that I am using:  Gold Tip 35/55s cut to 28 ¼ inches.  100 grain brass inserts and 250 grain field points.  Three 5 inch left wing helical feathers.  Like I said above every chart show these arrows to be way under spined… but I am getting great flight and the heavy 615 grain arrows just fly perfect and really smack the target.  I plan on using 160 grain grizzly broad heads with 100 grain steel inserts.

When I try 55/75s they fly well but don't hit where I am looking - usually hit left with a nock left (right handed shooter).

Anyone else get similar results?
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: underspined carbons flying good???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
The 100 grain insert acts as a footing, have you entered that data into the calculator ?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Spine charts always seem over spined to me.  Your results don't surprise me at least.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Brother don't think twice about it, your results are what counts!

Spine charts, calculators, etc....they are only a guideline....nothing more.

I've been shooting traditional since '86, and carbon arrows since '06 and have never used any of that stuff....how they shoot is what counts!!!

I've never even measured centershot on a single bow I've ever owned.Couldn't tell what it is, and don't need to know.

How an arrow bareshafts and then shoots is all that matters.

To be honest, from what I've seen, most people are shooting way overspined arrows. Most of it is because a chart or calculator 'said' they were "right".
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
What Guru said. Just look at spine chart, scratch your head, then go back to shooting.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
My MOABs are 68# and 71# @ 29" and my draw length is a bit more then 29" actually close to 30".  I'm shooting full length (30 1/4") 35/55 Gold Tips with 80 grains of Gold Tip weights behind the insert and 250 grain tips.  The riser of the MOAB is not cut to center, but I don't know how far outside of center it is.

Spine charts do seem a bit on the stiff side, but much closer to past center cut shelves of some bows...  Widows are a great example, 3/16" past center cut and they can accept some pretty stiff shafts and still get good flight.  Most of your longbows will have shelves not cut to center and weaker spine shafts are necessary for good flight/tuning.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
You don't say what the center cut was before adding the extra thickness, but the overall specs seem very close to what I would expect for my "D" type bows. I had a Mohawk Sparrowhawk (admitedly not center cut) that loved .500 spined carbons with 100gr inserts and 200gr points and left 30.5" long.

I'm currently shooting 1535's with regular insert and 200 gr points, 30" out of my Mohawk Classic which is around 45# at my draw length. I usually start with Stu's calculator and then start adding point weight until I finally get a weak indication, than go back to the last point weight, fletch a couple up and they almost always fly right to the same point as the bareshaft.

Bet that 68" Vixen is a sweet shooter!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Vixen is 1/8 inch from center and yes it is an amazing bow - It tolerated a ton of spines and compensates a lot for my poor release at times.  I went out stumping for the first time the other day and i've never shot better and I was using a juso that was 125 grains less than what I normally shoot.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
In our (recent) obsession to tune to the nth degree, the tendency is to start thinking there is only one perfect set-up for our bows.  That may be, but there are lots of others that are very close and will work just fine.  In my experience, most bows will handle at least a 20# difference in spine range. In short, I don't see anything out of the ordinary with your results.  I'd expect them.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I agree with Curt! Charts and Calculators are just starting places. In the end it doesn't matter if they say your arrow is 100# over or underspined. If it flies straight and true that is all that matters. I finally got tired of all the charts and whatnot with parallel carbons and use the AD trads exclusively just varying point weight and they fly great from every bow I have shot them out of from 55# to 65#
James Kerr

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
:clapper:  Guru is 100% correct!

Offline duffer1565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey if it ain't broken , don't fix it !
60" Firefly 48#@28"
60" Big Jim Buffalo 48#@28"

58" BW PSA IV 48# @ 28"
58" Firefly Messenger Static Recurve 47# @ 28"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I read several times that spinecharts or calculators are overspined for carbon. To give you an idea: I own a very fast hybrid longbow that goes over or is around the 200 fps at 9GPP.
It delivers 45 lbs at my drawlenght of 29".
I use Goldtip Traditionals (Big Jim Blems) 1535 (0.600) on that bow. Standard insert and nock, a 100 grains fieldtip, three 5" shielded fletching, crowndipped (adding 10 grains), 30.5" BOP.
I bareshafted them with 17 grains weight in the nock and they flew to perfection. However, with the fletching on it, I leave the 17 grains weight out, then the arrows seems to be just right. They fly like laserbeams!

Most of the time I don't even bother to bareshaft or papertune. In the end it is all about how the fletched arrow flies from your bow. I reckon, if I can hit a balloon repeatidly at 55 yards, there can't be much wrong with my set-up.... That's the way how I like to test.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
I know several fellow bow shooters that say the 1535 shafts fly well out of bows at least up to 50#.

I found out early on when I bought 5575 shafts for a 56# bow, the charts are not right. They flew OK and I killed deer and targets with them but I didn't know what I was missing until I tried the 3555 in the same bow.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I agree with Guru and I think it is very wise to get good bareshaft flight.
 If your feathers get wet - no sweat!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Curt is right but with that said, guys do not realize hwo carbons react. They recover from paradox way quicker than any other arrow material. Remember carbons are spined using 14"s centers as opposed to woods using 13" centers. Try spining a .400 spine carbon using a 13" center and see how stiff the darn thing really is. I have been doing this a long time and can honestly tell you that most times guys could take the carbon they are shooting and add a hundred grains of point weight and improve their arrow flight and in some cases a lot more than that. Take Stu's calculator and figure out what it tells you to shoot and add a hundred grains and than you will be close, sorry but I have a clue as to what most guys can shoot and the calculators can be thrown out the window. Shawn
Shawn

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Most LBs that are not cut to center will require a lighter spined arrow. I have a JD Berry Yawher ( spelling) it's 64"  64#&28". I draw 29" and I shoot 55/60 spined with 125 point.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Those are not underspined in any way. If you had asked me, I would have thought that maybe you would have to leave full length.

First of all, 3555's are good typically up to about 53#'s depending on draw length. You are not near center shot and you are only drawing a 68" bow to 27.5"s and not even getting close to the power curve out of that bow.

Fletch one, and shoot a broadhead with it. If it goes where you look (or where field pt goes) then fletch them all and be happy.

good luck, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
overthinking adds to the problem-your quarry will never consult the chart-all they know is they are vitally hit, then on the dinner table....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Cut to center Kanati, 45#@26". 27" Gold Tip 35/55 100 grain brass insert 200 grain broadhead 3 5" feathers.520 grain total.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©