3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "buffalo meat hunt ". ..a wingnut and trashwood adventure. . jason too  (Read 930 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A few months ago we got the bug to put a buffalo in the freezer for the meat and the dietary benefits of buffalo.  Well while on one of our deer hunts Jason, Rusty and I got talking about a buffalo and low and behold Ron Foley told us about a place near him that had them.

One thing led to another and we made contact with the owner of the buffalo ranch and struck a deal for a 3 yr old bull he wanted to cull.

We scheduled and had to cancel three times over the months and finally got it put together for today.  Lucky for us, Rusty was off too.

We rolled out this morning at O dark thirty (5 am) and headed too Fort Worth to pick up Rusty and turned south for the 3 hour drive to Thornton, TX.  After an hour Rusty started yelling FOOOOOOOOOOD, so we hit an IHOP for breakfast but soon were headed out again.  One note if you think the maps you print off of google maps are good.  . .well not so.  Luckily I remembered part of the way and the directions and 3 phone calls got us to the ranch and only 15 minutes behind schedule.

Now this is not at HUNT, it's a Harvest.  Although there is no high fence, there was no doubt we were going to leave with the buffalo we went after.  

We met the owners and had a cup of coffee while dicussing how we were going to get this done.  I learned some buffalo behavior and decided my first plan of walking out, locating the herd and stalking the one I wanted was probably a dumb idea.

Gotta go make dinner and feed dog.  I'll be back later

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "buffalo meat hunt ". ..a wingnut and trashwood adventure. . jason too
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
dont leave us hanging very long....

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:    :coffee:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Do you hand feed the dog?
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Nope but I had to cook my dinner.  Connie is in NH on business and I've been batching it.

Had some leftovers so I'm back.

Anyway the owner decided we should drive out in his truck to locate the group.  There were 11 in this batch and he wanted to make sure I knew which one I was after.  We grabbed the bow and backup gun and climbed into the truck.  Off across fields and through trees and through gates.  Well you get the just of it.  We went clear across the ranch and there are buffalo.  And one of them is huge.  I'm thinking man I hope that's mine.  Then as we got closer and the big guy showed some attitude, I'm thinking man I hope that smaller one is mine.

Turns out the smaller one was the 3 yr old that I was to take from the group.  Now we have them in site, it's up to us to close the deal.  Moving up through the trees they didn't seem to be too spooky.  Rusty was trying to get into position to video and the whole group headed our way . . . fast.  This is not what we wanted.  That big bull is over a ton with a head like a 50s buick.  

They keep coming and start to swing from our right to left and still closing.

Gotta wait for Rusty to join in.  He has some good commentary for what happens next.
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
ROAD TRIP!!!  :)  I took the video camera, had to get this one on record.  While Wingnut and the hands discussed the affair, I thought I would go get some footage of buffalo.  I mean come on I am a Texas boy, I have been around large animals all my life.  I slip out of a hugh steel double gate (didn't that tell you sumpin???? dummy! nope I am a Texas boy  :)  ) with tripod and camcorder.  I had taken about 4 steps when a ranch hand comes hot footing it over.  

Ah Sir, you are about to get stompped into a muddy paste if you go out there.

Now that well get your attention even if you are a Texas boy.  Muddy paste????  

OOOOKKKKK i back up slow!

They don't like humans out there very much.  That is cows and calves.  The mommies are pretty protective of their calves.  It is best to leave them be........ah! I like what is best.  that sounds good to me  :)

I now look at the double steel gate.  I don't mean a double wide gate with two wings on it I mean you open one gate then ya have to open another steel gate.  two steel gates back to back....OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH i get it (even a Texas boy gets it)

Hmmmmm I am getting less excited about videoing Wingnut and his buffalo   :knothead:  

Back in the 60's I watched a hunt in an Oklahoma state park.  A fellow put six 30/06 bullets into a bull buffalo before he gave it up.  Lets see Wingnut with a bow, Jason with a hunting knife and me with a video camera vs Bull "stompping ya into a muddy paste" buffalo

Oh well that is about even  :)

rusty

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
The stroy just got started and I'm on the edge of my seat already.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Come on guys I have to go to bed tonight and I can't rest til I hear the rest of the story! ( No, I'm not Paul Harvey)  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
COME ON-  Your killing us!  My wife tells a story faster, and thats while she stops to answer her darn phone a dozen times!!
GLENN

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Ok so where were we.  Oh yeah, on the edge of the herd.  Rusty is hugging a tree and it's not an osage.  Jason is backing me up, way back far up.

They are still coming and starting to slow a bit.  I think they were trying to figure out what that little fellar was going to do with the itty bitty stick.  

I gotta tell ya I'm not much of a video hunter.  When I get an open shot, I take it.  And as they slowed to take a look at which one to stomp to muddy paste first, the young bull I was after cleared broadside.  It was about 25 yds out but to tell the truth, I didn't want it closer and the big guy was eyeing Rusty like he'd just made his decision.

Like I said the bull cleared with no one behind so I figured it was time.  I hit full draw and the arrow was on the way and disappeared into the vitals and I heard it hit on the other side.  Dang a complete pass through.

I did fudge my equipment for the buffalo though.  I am still shooting the 48# Orion 58" curve but I stuffed one of the Vapor carbonwood 3000 with 4 pcs of weedeater line to up the weight to 700 gr.  I also replaced my usual WW with a 125 grizzly that Jason spun up on the wheel to a high gloss.  Dang that thing was so sharp it hurt to look at it.
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Now with blood in the air, the herd got real excited and the land owner came rushing in with the truck from across the field behind us.  We jumped into the back and he haul butt as the big bull decided he'd just stomp us all, truck included.

My bull headed the other way and I could see him stagger as he hit some woods a couple hundred yards out.  One of the cows took off after him and the rest of the group came after the truck.

We went through an open gate and turned along a fence, the herd stopped and milled around some at the fence and gate.  The blood in the air had them wildeyed.  Finally the tractor started down by the ranch house and the buffalo head that way.  I guess they were looking for a bale of hay.  After they cleared the gate, we drove back through and locked up the double steel gate.

We headed back across the ranch to the place we'd last seen the bull.  At about were I'd shot, I asked the ranch owner to stop and let us out.  I wanted to follow up on my own if necessary and started on the blood trail through the trees.  There was a lot of blood.  In fact, I couldn't believe he'd made it this far.  After covering the 200 yds to where he was last seen, we spotted him down and out.

Deep breaths of releif were heard from all of us.

The arrow had taken him in the vitals but was angled more forward then I thought.  Did it's thing inside but took the jugular vein on the exit side in front of the shoulder.  That's where all the blood was coming from.  I was impressed with the penetration.

Here's a pic of me and the buffalo (I'm the tall one)

It was fun, exciting and a little scary.

A typical day with Rusty and Jason.  LOL

Mike

BTW we had 274# of hanging meat in the locker a couple hours later
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
The buffs were moving in an out,  the big bull was nocking all the others in the group about, he was coming my way as near as I could tell.  I started thinking of get out of the way....turn to see Wingnut drawing.  Move my glace forward qucikly to catch the arrow flight.  One of the best shots I have seen.  Under pressure to hurry up things were changing fast.  Must have been 25 yds.  I was in a position to catch the arrow in the sun as it stuck in the grond on the off side.  Perfect...... I see him move out of the group trailing alot of blood from both sides.

Oh to heck with this the dang buff are getting real excited......grouping around blood trail....I think I am out of here..

what a perfect shot  :)

rusty

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Good job, great story...sounds like a fun way to spend the day....s'long as you don't end up "muddy paste"....  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
post that video
i like biscuits

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Video tells a millon words. Lets get it rollin! Great story! Thanks
GLENN

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Very nice Mike! Looks like some eating there   :bigsmyl:    :clapper:

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

I'd love to take a buff someday, been wanting to do that for quite a while.

Congrats on a great shot and not getting stomped into a "Muddy Paste!"

Thank you for sharing with us!

-Jeff
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Got the ole blood rising, huh? Try doing it when there is an angry Watsui bull in with the herd as well as a mean looking Asian Water Buff the size of a bulldozer, no back up rifle and have to keep your eyes on the herd bull as well as the Watusi and Asain. I questioned my sanity after takin mine and dodging three or four bluff charges from the Watusi and turning around after finally shooting mine and the Asain was 15 yards out and closing. Yeah, not the same as hunting free range where ya gotta take days to find a bull but still pretty exciting with a bow. And they are not a bit afraid of ya,stare ya down like ya owe them money,LOL. Great job Mike!

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Man I love that bow.The tips look sorta like that buffs horns.Very nice.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
That will get your attention real quick seeing the thundering herd come a running by.  I bet thats going to be some really lean and tasty meat.  Congrats to you three.

Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©