3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help setting up a fletching jig.  (Read 305 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Help setting up a fletching jig.
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Hey guys I purchased a single clamp martin fletching jig from a member here. It Ina's a left wing helical clamp and could use some advice on setting up up. Namely this jig can be angled. It looks to me as if this need to be done. There are screws on either end of the clamp which allow for vertical adjustment and it has little hash marks for reference. If I keep he jig completely straight it will run off the arrow shaft. Is his the way it is supposed to be? It appears as if I need to cant the clamp on the side furthest away from the nock end to keep the fletching on one section of the shaft. Anyway any advise is appreciated and if I am not being clear on what I am seeing let me know and I can clarify and attempt to post pictures.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help setting up a fletching jig.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a BPE and it has the hash marks also. I've adjusted mine so the clamp fits on the arrow the best. I just find a reference point on the clamp and the fletcher so I can get them on there quick and in the same spot every time.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Go to three rivers site..find your jig..Is it the J-8? anyway they have a you tube demo that may be the best way to see what you need to do.Or just search you tube.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Try putting a feather in the clamp and then adjusting the clamp so you get good contact on the shaft the whole length of the feather. I find that will typically give a good amount of helical as well as cut down on struggling with things.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I really like this way fun. I was reloading bullets for awhile so arrow building is something that really peaks my interest. Very neat! My wife says I have a new obsession as I am reading about and shooting my bow almost every day  :) . She just rolls her eyes and says well at least there isn't a bunch of empty bullets all over the dresser now!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
You might remind her there are worse pastimes than building arrows or reloading ammo. Probably don't want to go there, though, if she asks you to name some.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I built a special maple table for the corner of our bedroom for reloading and fletching in winter months.  Hey, it keeps ya out if the cathouses, or maybe that's just here in Nevada.  Seriously, fletching can actually be art, not from me, butnothers on here makevarrows too pretty to shoot!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©