3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too light of arrows  (Read 505 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Too light of arrows
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Good afternoon TG, posed this question on another awesome sight, looking for some helpful hints here as well. Shooting the bow in my signature, with 30" Beman IC Hunter arrows (the cheap yellow ones) with 75 grain brass inserts and 175 grain points. They are roughly 500 grains excluding feathers and nocks. I do like how they shoot (being .400 spine) but would like a heavier arrow that isnt' going to cost me $120+ per dozen. Any ideas?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too light of arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
get some weight tubes.. they will work in a pinch or buy some new/use shafts in classifieds but weight tubes will work especially if you like what you got now.. minor retuning if any
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
GT blems from Big Jim. 55/75 or go up to 75/95 and load em up!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Easton legacy shafts are only about 25-30 per half dozen and are great arrow
Levi Bedortha

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Try to cut your arrow of a 1/2" and you need at least 50gr more upfront,or maybe also 3/4",still long enough and you don't have to buy new shafts.
I draw 29" and i cut my arrow 29" even,but with a brass insert and the broadhead i just barely tuch the riser and this give me a kind of clicker.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
Good afternoon TG, posed this question on another awesome sight, looking for some helpful hints here as well. Shooting the bow in my signature, with 30" Beman IC Hunter arrows (the cheap yellow ones) with 75 grain brass inserts and 175 grain points. They are roughly 500 grains excluding feathers and nocks. I do like how they shoot (being .400 spine) but would like a heavier arrow that isnt' going to cost me $120+ per dozen. Any ideas?
Why do you need a heavier arrow?
Schafer Silvertip

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
You can still find Beman MFX Classic shafts around if you look for them.  At 30 inches with the 75 grain insert and 175 grain points, you would be looking at a finished weighted arrow around 560 grains excluding fletches. Those shafts can be purchased for less than the $120 that you mention.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Stick with what you have; you are shooting 9 GPP approximately by your own numbers.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I have to agree with Bjorn 9gpp. is fine out of that Talltines. I myself shoot 8-9gpp. for all my bows and I get two holes in everything I shoot as long as I stay of the shoulder and in that case gpp. may not help anyway. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Stay away from the 7595's unless you go with camo or nugent (.340spine) wood is .300 spine and all the weight on ones shoulders wouldn't make them shoot right.
We still have some 5575 blems on hand at least for a couple days...maybe. Fletched arrows for $81 per doz.  30" arrow = with 100g brass and 175g tip will weigh in around 570 and be a good bit tougher the the ics. We sell those too by the way.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
They will be fine for deer and turkeys, I would like a quieter shot and for the arrow to have a little more oomph behind it. Does anybody know what gpi the Beman MFX are? I was originally going to go with the Easton FMJ's but for some reason when I shot them in my compound I couldn't keep them straight after a season or two?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I bought 3 340 spine FMJ's to try a couple of years ago now and those arrows have been shot into and bounced off all sorts of things (unfortunately no game animals)...they weigh right about 600 grains full length with the standard inserts and a 200 grain broadhead...i also have some 400 spines that weigh about 525 grains with a 175 grain broadhead...the thing i like about the FMJ is it is easy to make reasonable weights without a lot of fooling around...pricey yes, but worth it in the long run
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Stiffer shaft and more tip weight. You can use GT75/95 blems from big jim ... 100gr brass inserts ... whatever heads you need and then add brass insert weights until they're tuned ... they'll be heavy ...

Prolly close to 650-700grains ... or weight tubes ...

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Would like to just keep the arrows if possible, with the high cost of feathers etc. Curious to see if the weight tubes effect spine?

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I've been shooting Victory shafts (which are light) and I put the black weed wacker line made by Stihl.  I'm shooting 59# with a 400 series arrow and it took them from 515 gn up to 600 with a standard insert and a 225 gn point.  Should be a cheap way for you to bump them up in weight.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I think having weight is important and maintaining a certain gpi for the task at hand is also important, but don't lose sight of putting the arrow where it needs to go with proper flight and having a very sharp broadhead!

If you have a very heavy arrow that doesn't fly good you're hurting yourself more than sacrificing a little weight, but having an arrow that flies straight and true.

The weight tubes are going to weaken (at least in my experiences) your arrows which is OK if you have have enough shaft to cut and stiffen the shaft accordingly.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Stick with what you have; you are shooting 9 GPP approximately by your own numbers.
+ 2
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I've used weight tubes and remember thikning they do affect spione ... I believe they make the dynamic spine stiffer, but then you could add a little point weight to fix that I suppose .... maybe it's not all that much spine difference anyway.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
hmm. I have a doz broadheads in 175 grain and won't be able or willing to try and sell them n buy more :/

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
try weed wacker line cheaper than weight tubes.  All you can do is try since you don't want to buy new shafts or points maybe it won't affect the spine much.
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©