3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LL Bean Boot Question  (Read 472 times)

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
LL Bean Boot Question
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Has anyone had experience with the waxed canvas upper non insulated bean boot? As a warm weather spring/fall deer/turkey boot? Or would the leather upper be better?

I've used the search function & found lot's of info about bean boots, but nothing about the canvas upper boot.

Thanks for any help,

Ryan

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LL Bean Boot Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I've owned the leather version all my life and have never had a problem, some of my bean boots are approaching 30+ years old and still going strong.  Bottoms can be replaced when worn out.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I have leather sides, 3 pairs, one pair is from 1978.  Heels are rou ded badly, but comfortable and quiet.   No knowledge on canvas, but can see an application for it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Did not know they made them.Might be great for South Louisiana in late summer late fall will look into them.Love the leather uppers have used them for 30 years.Kip

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Getting ready to pack up my insulated and uninsulated leather upper Bean boots and send them back in for some TLC after 20+ years of use. The insulated keeps my feet warm down to freezing with alittle moving around. Great Boots. I think the older boots were nicknamed Maine Hunting Shoe.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I've been wearing LL Bean boots for many years and they are my main(no pun intended) hunting boot for everything from the Low Country and swamps of SC to the mountains of NC to the San Juan Mountains of CO. chasing elk. I've never tried the canvas but the leather tops work just fine. I need to send mine current pair off to LL Bean to get resoled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Would the canvas ones have a "scratchy" sound to them in the bush?
I've used the leather version for years with much satisfaction.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
I love my pair of 16" leather tops .. What are y'all's takes on snake-proofabiltiy of them.. ( I don't mean to hijack the thread RLA- I apologize) .. Was going to ask this question on a new thread but figured this would be suitable.. Thanks
I haven't heard anything on the canvas tops but it could have its applications , as stated earlier.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I'm like most everyone else that has responded. My last pair was removed from the back of my truck while at a service station by a person or persons unknown. I then bought a new pair of the original Maine Hunting Shoe (the 100th Anniversary model with the brick red soles). Been satisfied with them as well as the other previous pair of Bean Boots. I believe the canvas uppers would be a great addition.

As far as snake proof, they might be a little snake resistant, but the spokesman at Bean would not go out on a limb and call them snake proof.   :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Do the waxed canvas ones have the steel shank? If so, then they may take away some of your priopreception. I have 2 pairs of the leather ones, one pair is at least 25 years old and still going strong!!
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Having owned 3 different types I like the leather tops. The leather never wear out but the bottoms of one pair dry rotted. I sent them back and they couldn't replace the bottoms because they didn't make that style anymore (felt insulation boot).
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I've decided to go with there 100 year anniversary boot, instead of the canvas. Looks like a good boot to me.

here's a link to a video about them

Thanks for the info

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
You'll be happy with them.

I've been a die hard lacrosse burly boot guy for most of my hunting and then have wore Meindls for heavier boots and Schnees for winter. I got a pair of the bean 16" boots last spring for a turkey hunt and just loved them.  ended up wearing them in place of my other boots until it got really cold.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
RLA -
That's the pair I chose. I know that you will like them.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I just picked up the 16 inch boot with the optional speed laces instead of the eyelets. It cost a Whopping $1.50 more. I don't know for a fact that they will keep a snake from biting me but with a size 14 shoe it's just hard to find an all around hunting boot anyway. I usually have a pair of too-small snakers for fishing Reelfoot lake or hunting in KY as turkey season goes on. I am looking forward to hunting with them on this spring after hearing the decades of good reports.
Mike Davenport

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I love my L L Beans    :bigsmyl:   (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Well I sent my boots in to be reconditioned-got em back yesterday. The work they did is second to none. Looks like the only thing they did not replace are the leather upper sides. I got 2 pair of practically new boots for $80. Great Job!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I've worn them for 30 years and are my go to boot.  Bought the 16" and really like them in rainy weather.  Makes getting across creeks easy.

Only had problem with one pair.  They developed severe mold inside them when I got them out for the fall.  They were my extra pair for deer camp. As I was leaving the year before the wife handed me a banana on the way out the door.  My hands being full I told her to stick in the boot.  As Mr. White would say "can't fix stupid".
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Can't beat the Maine Hunting Shoe. I've been wearing them all of my life and have never been displeased.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I have both, leather and canvas tops.
The canvas feel lighter on the foot but don't seem to provide quite the same ankle support.  An important consideration for myself.
If the walking is easy, the canvas is fine and I like them.
Best Wishes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©