3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy Hitters Part Two(updated and finished)  (Read 684 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy Hitters Part Two(updated and finished)
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Here are the results of these 10.  I had one that came in light and that will get used for more testing.  Here are the six with the broad heads that Matt G sent me.  If you look at the weights on these six, there is a spread of 46 grains high to low

The other heads that I had laying around, I ended up with one light and three good with a spread of 37 grains high to low.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Here is the ten waiting to get a finish put on, and fletched up.  I should get another 20 to 30 grains with that.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Wow.  I've got a lot to learn.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have been very very fortunate to have learned from the master of cane arrows along with some other great teachers..  And I assure you, there is no one to come close to his arrows.  This is not saying that there are not other great arrow made everyone, it is just the attention to detail and being able to make any combination to work, is unmatched form his arrow work.  If you ever get to see one or some of Art. Butners arrows, you will know immediately.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
All I can say is those are the most impressive set of arrows I have ever seen, bar none!! Way to cool, that is truly an art form!! Thanks for the post, very cool!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Those are some nice arrows String'.  Nice attention to detail.  I've been shooting my 780g poplar warbow arrows out of the 71# static recurve I just got with some STOS broadheads attached and they are flying like accurized freight trains.  I have trouble pulling them out of the bag target shot from 20 yds, and I'm a 6'2'' 250 firefighter.  I've got the same purpose in mind for mine.  This is what those hogs deserve.  Good luck with the piggies, you've certainly got me curious about cane   :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words.  Cane is not only fun to work with, but very rewarding in the end when it all comes together.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
I just got around to doing a test on the FOC on the heavy cane arrows.  They come in at 23.9130434783 FOC.  That is a little extreme for a tapered arrow.  So I am going to work with some other point weights and lengths to get what I want and call them done.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Strigstretcher, Man are you ever committed   :  :thumbsup:I like your ideas    Keep up the good work.
Joe Furlong

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Well everyone, sometimes what we think will work and does, does not always come together.  I could not get the cane to show weak enough to shoot them out of the one osage self bow I was shooting.  So this morning, having not having any thing else to make the up front weights higher, I started looking again through my old stuff.  Awh...found a couple dozen of my old 2213 glue in broad head adapters....I just wonder?????

Well if you start with these

And you add some lead

And then some fire

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
You will get these

The good thing about these is you can remove weight or add weight with the lead to get what you want.  These adapters weigh exactl 205 grains with a 145 grain point for a total of 350 up front.  And here are the high and lows of 4 arrows.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Well everyone these are finished and ready to be shot at anything I feel like for the most part.  They would not work out of my osage self bow that I was trying to make these for, but I went and got an osage/fiberglass bow I had made a couple years ago, same poundage and draw length, and these things shot so nice.  This bow does have fast flight on it so that helps as well to weaken the shaft.  As a matter of fact, I first had the 160 grain points on there for a total of 365 up front and they were too weak for this bow.  I changed them to the 145 and bingo.  I now have four cane that are EFOC and weigh a lot, to hunt with.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
I thank everyone for the comments and suggestions along this journey.  Just remember, if you really want to, you can do the very same things with materials that mother nature provided with a little help, as you can with other products.  Have fun, and shoot em straight.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
I guess they are ok. What's wrapped around the shaft behind the broad head, masking tape to hold em together ole boy..   :laughing:

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Actually yes there you ole coot you.  I use the masking tape on the ends so they don't split when I drill them.  And the black looking stuff is shrink wrap that I put over the real sinew to keep some moisture out and help protect the ends behind the broad head as well.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Oh, so you are making a real high tech primitive arrow then?:)LMAO Ole Boy.. Very nice though, but I have a feeling that shrink wrap is gonna hold moisture under there....

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
That is very possible.  It was just a thought and something to try.  I was thinking more along the lines of protecting the sinew from long wet rainy days.  But hey, most of the time, I am inside on those kind of days....aren't we?????..LOL

And these Roy, are way beyond high tech.  No one in their right mind could engineer something like these...lol

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Someone's gonna have a bad day

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
17 yard shot with one warm up round.  I think I got them

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Ya still have my address ole timer? :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©