3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Top 10 Toughest hunts in North America  (Read 993 times)

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Top 10 Toughest hunts in North America
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I would have to say sasquatch!!!   :laughing:    :deadhorse:   It seems the guys on Finding Bigfoot have trouble getting proof one even exist let alone hunt one down.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
A tough question, hope to be able to chase goats seriously some day if I ever draw... I have been plenty close to them in MT and CO on occasion minus the license, bow and snow...   "[dntthnk]"  

Cougar w/out dogs, tried, got close but no cigar, maybe some day, hopefully before I get too old and fat to run one down...

Southern AZ Coues, been once, saw several, huge fun, didn't bring one home but sure plan to go back for another try on those wary critters one day.

For sure the toughest critter I've personally chased has to be the "educated" wolf. Prior to MT allowing hunting of them they were pretty easy to call and get reasonably close too. Now after a few years of education they have learned well. Unpredictable, naturally wary and the ability to travel unbelievable distances in a short time make them one tremendous challenge for the stickbow shooter. Spent countless behind the binos and spotting scope looking and planning the stalk. Been close several times, even within touching distance once but only had two shots. One a complete miss the other a nine yard gimme, he just wasn't there when the arrow got there. Truly frustrating but true fun at the same time. Can't wait till next fall!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Pigsooie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
In my neck of the woods i would have to say a place to hunt that hasn't been leased up by a big outfitter would be at the top of my list.   :bigsmyl:
* Multiple Holzrichter customs *
* Fred Herman Terminator *
* Centaur *
* Toekle Classic Whip HS *
* Shrew Classic Hunter *
* Java Man Elkheart & Inferno *

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I'll vote for Long Island NY, we basically are hunting in backyards with deer that are super sensitive to hunting pressure while having anti hunters do everything possible to disrupt your hunt by honking their horns when they see your car parked in known hunting spots as well as the neighbors dogs that bark all day long because they winded you from 500 yards away. If you can get under the radar of a Whitetail here with traditional gear, you earned it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
hunted Ibex for 10-12 yrs in NM the toughest
The older I get the better I was

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
dont know of any other animal that will post a look out while the others are feeding
The older I get the better I was

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Biggie LOL   :biglaugh:   (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Biggie LOL   :biglaugh:  (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
If you want a tough hunt that you see lots of animals but it's tough to get a shot just try hunting whitetails anywhere the is a lot of hunting pressure like parts of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. For a physically tough hunt as well as not seeing to many animals but if you do get a shot it is likely to be a good one go for something like any of the sheep species on mountainous terrain.
James Kerr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
The toughest hunt.......on all fronts I would think goats and sheep would rank near the top, tough landscape, tough critters and the weather can change in a heart beat and shut everything down. Heck I can't even close the deal on a whitetail, in fact kind'a tough hunting them in the Adirondacks.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Anything in Idaho!
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Public land pope and young whitetail in michigan
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Too many variables to just name one. Coues deer are ghosts, and live in inhospitable terrain. Mt. goats/sheep live in big country that taxes you to the max. Some folks can kill elk every year, but I hunt my butt off for them and hardly ever kill one. From what I have heard and read, mountain lions with dogs can be very physically punishing, and spot and stalk for them is dang near impossible with a stick bow (although I know a guy who has killed two with that method). A really big mulie buck is something seldom seen if you are hunting public land. And then there is the big mature whitetail that is hunted hard and, like his smaller Coues cousin, becomes invisible when hunting season comes around.
So, I guess most of them can be very challenging, although in somewhat different ways.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I agree with the mountain goats and the sheep, but that said a giant whitetail, meaning something over 150"s is one of the toughest to kill! Maybe not to hunt but to kill! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
An old, wise nanny whitetail doe. Sometime during the fall the big bucks will have a "stupid" streak. Them old does are on high alert all the time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Wolf without a freshkill would have to be next to impossible with a trad bow
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Mt. goat for me.  I beleive nothing test you mentally / physical / emotionally than the game and its habitat.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Montana unlimited bighorn sheep! I haven't been but that is what I'm told. Trying to get it set up for next year. Still a P&Y whitetail at home in TN on public land is pretty dang tough!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
A Pope and Young record Whitetail in upstate NY.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Elephant in Kansas! I have been hunting them since I was a lad.    :archer2:      Timing is critical! I had a chance a few years ago but, I was late. An elephant got away from the circus in Walkeeney and before I could get there with my Pronghorn, (I keep a heavy arrow in my quiver for such emergencys!) the sheriff shot it! And shot it and shot it some more! Darn rifle hunters!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©