3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 under noise- new question  (Read 208 times)

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under noise- new question
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Most agree 3 under is louder (me too). Is that STILL the case with a bow filleted for 3 under?  From a physics and common sense standpoint it seems that if the no k pt is moved up the width of 1 finger it would have to be same as split.  This might require raising the arrow rest pt to avoid no k high tuning.  Any input???   I have read over and over to raise the nock height and I agree. My ? Is will 1 finger width do it and does it require that much movement on arrow rest?  Anyone done this ???
Thx
My
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under noise- new question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Of course nock locator location is determined by arrow tuning to get rid of porpoising. One wouldn't want to sacrifice arrow tune for a change in sound levels of the bow.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
I have wondered the same things.  I will be watching this one.  I don’t think typically you will be as quiet with a bow tillered and shot 3 under as one shot and tillered split.  I am very interested to see if typically a 3 under bow is quieter than the same bow tillered spit when both are shot 3 under.   I think I will stay with 3 under, and I want to get bows that shoot quieter if I can.

I figure one finger higher on nock point with a split tiller would get you better limb timing and that should help sound some.  You would have to raise rest some also to really get back tuned.  Change in limb timing could offset some of the extra nock height you would need.  Just a guess. I did play with this idea a little shooting an ILF off a rest and playing with tiller.  I didn't get it as quiet 3 under with my playing, but not sure if I ever got things just right.

After seeing the graphic posted on a recent thread, I think you still have an issue with string angle above vs. below the arrows regardless of tiller.  I have assumed that 3 under tiller will have even limb bend at full draw.  I think once you drop the string, the arrow resistance is going to impact that limb movement and timing to some degree because you let lose a lot of string slack under the arrow, and the arrow weight resistance then determines the distance between the nock and the limb tips.  I would just guess that to really get a quiet bow 3 under you need to have the limb tips hit brace at the same time, and that would maybe be not having limb tips with even bend and location at full draw.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Good input.  Anyone else played with this notion?? I agree that tuning trumps noise. I guess I want my cake and eat it too
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
My Thunderchild is the only bow I own that is tillered 3-under.  It's quiet, but not any more so than my other longbows.
Unfortunately, though, I've never shot a split tillered Thunderchild so its a little difficult to do apples to apples.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
I bare shaft tune every new bow I get for arrow spine and nock point.  If I have a bow built for me, of course I have it tillered for 3 under. However, I will sometimes buy a used bow or already built new bow, and they are usually tillered for split. In general, all of these bows, whether tillered for split or 3 under, have tuned best with a nock point of about 3/4" for shooting 3 under.  Some bows tillered for split will shoot 3 under best with a nock point of 7/8".  Some bows tillered for 3 under will shoot best with a nock point of 5/8".  All of these bows shoot off the shelf, and other than trying different rest material, I've never tried moving the shelf up or down. A few bows tillered for split could not be satisfactorily tuned to shoot 3 under, and I didn't keep those.  Few enough that it doesn't worry me to buy a used bow tillered for split, as I only buy quality bows and have never had a problem re-selling one.

I'm not a quiet freak, although we all have our standards, I'm sure, and I will eventually sell or trade a bow if it's too noisy. There is enough variation in noise levels between different bows that I think the bow makes more difference than whether it's being shot split or 3 under. In fact, the quietest bow I've ever heard is Rod Jenkins's Black Widow which he shoots 3 under, and BW is not known for making particularly quiet bows.  Could his super smooth release have something to do with it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Everything we do is a compromise if your bow does not emit noise your fletching may. Don't think so? Get behind a bale sometime and listen; yes you can mitigate that with smaller fletch and not using shields or 'nannas. Three under may make a little more noise but I have seen more accurate shooters use 3 under, and when I have tried it I can handle more bow weight. I still prefer Mediterranean style but recognize there are advantages offered by 3 under.

Offline fishbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
i tiller my personal selfbows for 3 under and i put my nock at 5/8ths and i seem to get it pretty quiet , the squirrels dont jump at all on release

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©