3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: long draw arrow spine  (Read 238 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
long draw arrow spine
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
From what I have read on this and other sites, My drawlength--30" seems to be a little longer than average. I'm trying to find a carbon and aluminum shaft size to shoot. I want to shoot a 165 grain zephyr sasquatch broadhead with atleast a 31" arrow if possible. I shoot a pinnacle 2 recurve @ 50# with  with a 12 strand ff string. I shoot off the shelf with 3 x 5 1/2" fletching. I am willing to change fletching size if needed.. Just thought larger fletching would be better with the large broadhead---somebody help me pleae !!!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: long draw arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw and shoot the same bow weight with a 31" 5575 GoldTip Trad. Point weight anywhere from 125gr to 175gr depending on the bow works for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
Yep. Get some GT 5575 blems from Big Jim and start there. A lot of factors will influence your personal arrow setup but the 5575 should be in the ballpark.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
We need some clarification here...when you say you shoot at 50# is that a measured 50 or are you just going by the marking on the bow...if you shoot a bow that is marked 50# (at 28 inches) then when you draw it to 30 inches the actual draw weight will likely be between 54 and 56 pounds...the way the riser is cut to centershot will also have some influence...then the best way to determine a starting point for arrow spine is Stu Miller's spine calculator...you can just google it and then download it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Trumpkin, or should I call you Dwarf, I would be very interested to know what the draw weight of that Whip is at 32 inches...gotta think that a 62 inch bow is gonna stack some at 32 inches although I do have a 58 inch one that just starts to stack between 29 and 30...on the other hand my Schafer 62 inch longbow was stacking pretty noticeably at 30

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Ok guys, I have weighed my bow on 2 different scales to verify. One said 49# the other 50#. So I'm going with the 50, also how much difference will the size of fletching make in arrow spine ? Right now I'm shooting 5 1/2 inch feathers because I thought I might need the extra for the wide broadhead I'm using. Another question....how much does shooting off the shelf effect arrow spine ?............Gary

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
My specs are simillar. For aluminum, I'd suggest a 2018.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Neither size of fletching nor shooting off the shelf will make any appreciable difference to the arrow spine required...large fletching is a way to compensate for arrow spine not being correct and in fact when checking for correct spine you ought to be bare shaft tuning...others have shown that 2 inch fletching is adequate with broadheads with a correctly tuned arrow...and good for you making the effort to find two scales to weigh the bow...there are lots of experienced shooters who have no idea what their true draw weight is at their draw length....so how long have you been shooting the recurve?

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I've shot recurves since about 1990 off and on. This pinnacle I got about a week ago to use for turkey hunting this year. My hybred longbow wont be done in time.So I am not a complete stranger to the recurve, I am just having a tome of it getting arrows to fly right out of this one

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I have a long draw too, 31" and I have struggled finding arrows. Another carbon arrow option you should look into is Carbon Tech. A lot of their arrows come 32" uncut even in the lower spines (so far I have used the cheetahs and the whitetails. The other arrows I really like are the Beman ICS Bowhunters, the 500s come 31.5" and the 400s are 32 I think.

good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©