3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
OK, Maybe you remember this thread from last year....

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115396;p=1

It got me through the weeks of waiting.  So I figured we'd get a new one started for this year.

Let's hear all about it. Who's goin'? Where ya goin'? What ya takin'?

I'm heading up to Manitoba again, this year I'll be there the last week of May.  I understand they are still kinda cold up there.  Wool base layes, wool middle layers, wool top layers.  Im ready.

Not sure what I am taking yet.  Maybe one of my older Bear Kodiaks, my new Bear Kodiak, or it just might be Mr Wallace's turn.

Help me pass the time between now and then by reading about everyone else headin' out for bear this spring... so post up!
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm going with Stickflingers the the first week.
Will be taking along my two Wild Horse Creek bows.  Only 53 more days till I head the truck north!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
I am not likely to go bear hunting this year...I spent over 40 days in bear camp last year and only got one small bear...at a hundred dollars a day it adds up

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I shot my bear on May 28 and I was wearing shorts at 58 degrees North latitude...it is not always cold in the north...I do not recommend wearing shorts when bear hunting any more...bears have a nasty habit of running through the thorniest area they can find before expiring...by the time i got to my bear i was bleeding quite profusely

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I will be in camp with you Brian.  This year is a Robertson TribalStyk one piece, cocobolo riser and Montana juniper limbs, 54# @ 28.  I will be shooting 1918s and 145 grain Trailmakers.  Should be fun again.

D.P.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Pagel:
I will be in camp with you Brian.  This year is a Robertson TribalStyk one piece, cocobolo riser and Montana juniper limbs, 54# @ 28.  I will be shooting 1918s and VPAs.  Should be fun again.

D.P.
Which VPA you going to be shooting...I shot mine last year with a 200 grain 3 blade and was a little disappointed in the penetration I got, I think mostly because I have trouble getting those heads as sharp as I would like...I have switched over to the 2 blade VPA's and I find them a lot easier to get shaving sharp
DDave

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Reading this thread while watching my kids play on a 6 foot high snowbank in my front yard makes me want to prepare for building bridges this spring. I think we're in for a bigger adventure than last year. The bonus to the later spring is that the bears are gonna be really hungry!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Today sitting here watching it snow makes me wanna scream...until I see this thread. March 25th is a whole lot closer to bears at Stickflingers with Ryan and the guys. Here is what happens when you spend about 4 hours on stand as a newbie there: you end up with a 7 foot mount you can see every day!!!

And when you force your wife and kids to live in a barn while your house is being built and have no room for a Christmas tree, you get "King" the Christmas bear. I even have permision from the boss lady to move 'ol King over to the house when we move our stuff the 150 feet next week. I will have to have a Christmas tree next year, but this bear is a whole lot cooler!!!

Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Damascus Dave,

I usually shoot the 200s or 250s, but this setup likes the 150s.  I shot clean through with a 160 Snuffer last year so I am not as concerned.  I use the KME alumina ceramic stones and finish them on a piece of tanned elk stretched over a board.  Hair poppin!

Mike, that is an awesome bear!  I can only hope.  I look forward to meeting you.

Ryan, sounds like the river crossings could be "interesting".

D.P.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Dave P and Mike D

I am SOOO looking forward to being back in camp with you guys and our friends from Colorado and Iowa.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
No tags here this year   :(   I can't even go bait! Going to sorely miss hunting bear this year. Mabey ryan needs another camp hand    :wavey:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline twowolvesarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Almost everyone has checked in for stickflingers the week of may 26th. The only debate I have is how many bows to bring and which one like to swim in the river crossings.  This is going to be awesome. Should have my 7 footer back from last year next week.  This year I'm holding out for at least 2hrs.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Best of luck to all of you.  I will miss this years spring hunt do to work conflicts but hope to make amends next spring.  Manitoba sounds like a good choice too, did Alberta and Sask. already.
John
habujohn

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I'm hunting northern Saskatchewan the first week of June. Probably taking my 63# TD Silvertip recurve. Shooting 650 gr carbons with 4 blade Eclipses or Simmons sharks.  We will be hunting on a large lake with excellent fishing for walleye and pike. Every morning we go fishing then come in for a fresh fish shore lunch and then head out to the baits in the afternoon. This is my third year in a row doing this hunt.

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Just got an invite to go back to Quebec, now have to tell wife
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Quebec for Bear Quest 7. Didn't plan on going again this year after going the previous three years but when I got the nod from Sweet Wife a couple of weeks ago, my check was in the mail. Really enjoy the week in camp away from the hustle and bustle with a super bunch of great Trad Gangers but not a big fan of the spring bugs and the 18 hour solo nonstop drive. Can't wait.

:archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
my wife and I are headed to newbrunswick the last week of may for our bear hunt we will both be shootin bigjims bows she will have a new recurve 48@27 and my new TC long bow 56@30 we cant wait to go plus its my first time outa the USA should be fun she will be shooting a 300grn grizzlie bh and I will be shootin a abowyer bh weighin in at 320grn. cant wait to go

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Opens here in Idaho April 15th. We have had a long and late snow fall. Could be iffy at first, but we'll get'r going before long. My bear medication is a 175 gr. Simmons in front of 250 CE Heritage launched from a 58# Dale Dye recurve. Bait will be cheap dog food,sweet feed and stale backed goods drowned in the grease from the local burger joint. I lay barrels flat and cut a hole in the side--chain it to a tree and hunt out of a tree stand at twelve to eighteen yards. If it don't happen pretty quick, I'll have to deal with dog folks running hounds off my bait. Keep your fingers crossed.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Bear Hunting! i cant wait!

I'm going to Ron Henri's in Quebec for my first bear hunt. i will be there the week of May 26th (right after college graduation)with my mom, dad, and brother. So excited for school to be over and to be out in the woods!

Will be shooting my 60# predator with doug fir shafts and 160gr snuffers from Dave Pagel.

Anyone else going to Ron's?
Semper Fidelis

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Gosh, I am going to miss being up with my friends in Manitoba this spring.  I am going thru withdrawls already    :(

And unlike Mike, my 7' Chocolate is still sitting in the taxidermists "to do" pile      :help:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©