3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread  (Read 2938 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Man o man...I just hate we are gonna roll into Ryan's when the baits are crazy  :)  

Big boned and blonde, Ryan, big boned and blonde.
Mike Davenport

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:  

Good Luck guys!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
It's going to be hard to watch this one, but you can bet I will be!  Wish I could be there, but the next best thing is reading about all of you!
Good luck all   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
That's  great news!

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Joe, I'd sure enjoy sharing camp with ya up there at Ryan's someday.  I have my dates booked thru 2019.  

Something to think about... might take your mind off the elk.  No wait.  We see moose and elk up there too.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
:jumper:    :jumper:   Just be sure to save one for me boys, I'll be heading North in two weeks !

Had a slight set back last week when I broke the little finger on my string pulling hand last week doing some backyard logging. I was attacked by a falling tree and was fortunate to have been wearing my hard hat or I would not be typing right now. Have a splint on but will be back to shooting my bow next week. The down time will be used to sharpen broad heads and get gear in order. I have not told my Dr my plans .. LOL

Good luck to all and be safe ... leave the logging to the professionals
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Go gettum', Ken!  Can't keep a good man down!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Just stopped for the night on the way back from week 1 of Stickflingers.

First off I have to say that everything that I was told was correct.  This is a first class operation. I could not have been happier with my time in camp.  

For those of you going the next couple of weeks, there are some changes in the staff of Stickflingers.  They have a new "junior apprentice" guide working with Dave known to week 1 hunters as "Magic Mike".  Mike is a great guy that works just as hard (or maybe even harder if that is possible) than Ryan and Dave and he is a great addition to the crew.  

There is also a new cook in camp that made wonderful meals all week that put weight on all of us, even if we didn't need to add any weight.  Just be warned though.  If you don't eat dessert the new cook gets tempermental!

The new guide Mike was awarded (or maybe saddled) with me and the other TG'er in camp.  On the first sit  was taken to the "Pit" stand.  Here is how it looked when I setteled into the stand..

It was quite windy most of the week and there was not any movement for the first few hours.  Around 4:30 I had a small black boar come in for a few minutes and I just took a picture of him.  After a  couple of bites of bait he moved on to the north and was not seen again.  

As a little background on my bear hunting experience, I have only been on one other bear hunt over 20 years ago that I never saw a live bear.  So I was VERY excited to be in Manitoba with Stickflingers.  Upon hearing my story of my first hunt Ryan threatened to not let me take any arrows to stand the first couple of nights.  He should have done it as here is what the bait looked like around 8:30...

A beautiful 5' chocolate boar came in from the north and even though it was the first night of the hunt and everyone told us there were lots of bears I just could not resist a color phase bear broadside at 12 yards!  

I drew my Wild Horse Creek Quest and picked a spot.  The arrow hit about 1" from the the hair I was concentrating on.   The bear made a short 50 yard  dash and coughed a couple times and fell over.  There was plenty of daylight left so I walked back to camp to burn off the excitement!  Magic Mike and I went in and found him and here he is...

Even though he is small for what is at Stickfligers, I am thrilled with him.  
His hide is perfect and the color is beautiful.  The blaze was unusual in that it almost made a figure "8" except that it lacked an inch or so of connecting at the top of the "8".

I spent the next few days tagging along with Dave and Magic Mike checking and filling baits.  

I guarantee that this won't be the last time that I am at Stickflingers, as I am already booked for 2016.  Next time I won't be quite so anxious to shoot (but I may have Ryan hold onto my arrows for a day or two, just to be safe).    

I will let the other TG'er in camp tell his story of his time on stand.  Just let me say that it was a very good night!

Thanks again Ryan, Dave and Magic Mike for a hunt that I will never forget!

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
I would just like to share a picture of the bear my son Ross got Saturday evening.He made a exellent shot on him and only went 40yds.He was using a bow I made for him,58"ntn. 51#@28".Goldtip trad shafts and a Zwickey Broadhead.Hope you enjoy the pics,Dell.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Beautiful bears guys! Congrats to all of you    :campfire:  

Hermon, I know about the pit stand...oh boy do I know about that stand  :)  

12 hours and we are rolling, riding...
Mike Davenport

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Most excellent!!

Hermon.. what a dandy.  You gotta be proud of that one.  A perfect set up, an arrow in the boiler room, a bear on the ground.  And color with a blaze.  Big Sexy would have dropped that string without a second thought.  Well done.

Dell.. Nice!  Shooting a bear with the bow your pop made for you... can't imagine what a thrill that was for your son.  You must be proud.

Mike.. Im almost packed.. you sure you don't want me to pick you up at 6?
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I will be getting out bright and early tomorrow AM.  Tomorrow is actually my wife's birthday so I am staying tonight for a nice dinner and such.  However, the truck is ready to go!

D.P.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Very nice...I am jealous
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Just pulled in to Kamiah, Id, to head in tomorrow on a week long hunt. I live in great country, but this is really a wonderful place if you love wild and remote. Almost reminds me of parts of Alaska.
We stopped in Hamilton, Mt., yesterday, and took a great tour of Howard Hill Archery. When I can, I will post pictures as Craig gave us the royal tour. Look for some pics of Howard Hill's personal bows, clothes, and trophies after I get back from this bear hunt. If you get a chance, stop by and visit with the Ekins'; great folks.
Hope to have a bear in the truck when I report back.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Hermon, to me the colour phase of that bear combined with the shape of the white blaze makes that about as nice a bear as you will ever see...one thing I learned the hard way about shooting a bear with a blaze mark is that it virtually disappears with a conventional skinning job...I hope someone reminded you of that and you were able to preserve the blaze...that boar just begs for a full body mount

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Be patient Stickflinger boys!  Call me on the way home if you would and let the crew know I miss 'em.  Big Mike--"Tiffany" should be all fattened up and just about the right size for you this year. "Big boned and blonde" indeed. Good luck boys and don't all of you come back talking about yourselves in the third person!  Hah!

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Man, am I jealous of all of you guys heading up to Stickflingers. That's a dream hunt of mine. Good luck to you all.
Take care,
Jeff

« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
The pics are getting me antsy. I have two weeks left till I leave on Bear Quest!

Congrats on the bears, guys,

Bisch

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Good Morning Folks,

I did something a little different and tried to put my story in video...hope you enjoy it.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I will come back later and add some stuff...

And yeah, Herman's bear was very cool and one that was admired by the entire camp!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©