3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread  (Read 2944 times)

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Spring Bear Hunting Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Good Luck to all you guys who are going after spring Bear..!
     No spring season here for quite a while, last time I got to hunt spring Bear was in Alberta a few years ago. Can't wait for the stories.

I'll just have to amuse myself with chasing Turkeys in the Mountains this spring.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Lucky enough to get invited back to Quebec with Buckster to hunt with our great friend Alain.  Going to try to hold out for a bigger bear this year...when Alain finds your bear and proclaims in his French-Canadian Accent "awww-is a puppay"  you can afford to hold out for a bigger one next time    :archer:
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
I have never been on a guided and outfitted hunt; the closest I have been is day hunting in Texas. So, this spring, I'm treating myself to an Idaho bear hunt in late May.  I don't know just what to expect, since I have never done any hunting with a guide. I'm hoping for a chance at a color phase blackie to go with my jet black boar that hangs on my wall. It should be fun!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
April 1st is our opener here, and some of the lower south facing slopes are greening up, so some spot and stalk, and then some calling when rut begins in mid-late May.

My 67# Shawnee using footed 7595's and Grizzly's with steel adapters will be the rig this year.

I've booked my week in May, so i can see some light in the tunnel...
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline bculberson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Will be hunting spot and stalk here in BC with my friend DEllis.  It will be my first time packing traditional gear.  I'll be using a 66" Omega 55lbs @ 30" draw pushing 350 Heritage arrows with a 160gr Magnus I and 100gr insert.
Just waiting for it all to show up in the mail, fletch the arrows and learn to shoot it!
70" HHA Tembo takedown 50#
69" bamboo backed hickory 55#

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Bear Quest 7 for me. This will be my first bear hunt. I'll be there the second week, June 15th-June 22nd. I don't have a clue what all I am taking yet.....except my Sarrels Blueridge longbow and a thermacell!

Bisch

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by bculberson:
Will be hunting spot and stalk here in BC with my friend DEllis.  It will be my first time packing traditional gear.  I'll be using a 66" Omega 55lbs @ 30" draw pushing 350 Heritage arrows with a 160gr Magnus I and 100gr insert.
Just waiting for it all to show up in the mail, fletch the arrows and learn to shoot it!
If you shoot it as well as you were shooting those Goshawks the other day, you will be ventilating a bear sooner rather than later.
Darcy  :)
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
I will be hunting back home in Alberta.  A buddy has kindly offered to run the bait for me until I return from Afghanistan.  Providing my wife does not kill me when I bring up the idea, I plan to hunt for a couple of days.  I will be using my Blackwidow LFII (56" 60#@28) shooting Easton Axis, with 100gr brass inserts and Silverflame 125s.  Dreaming about being home with my family and doing this hunt are what is keeping me going these days...

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
June and Bear Quest 7 for me. First group. I will be taking a 62 pound Monarch longbow and 57 pound Bruin recurve. Shooting Simmons Interceptors. Getting closer to crunch time every minute,LOL.

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
Double tap...not sure how but I did!

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
Tracey and I will be heading to Quebec June 1. We will be hunting At Ron Henry's bear Camp
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I'm headed up on the mountain to look for some bait sites for my nephew tomorrow. I don't have a tag this year but I will at least be able to tag along and help run baits. Good luck to those that are hunting this year!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I'm gonna be at stickflingers the same week as you guys. Looking forward to meeting all of you guys! Except for mike, I already know him! Ive spent lots of time looking at "King" the xmas bear and picking my spot. Can't wait to get to bear camp and meet all you guys in person.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
If Tim would chime in all of week 2 would be present, but I can't picture him on a computer!

It should be a great week!

D.P.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Yep Tim ain't no computer jockey  :)  

Is it May yet? It is great to hear about all of the guys in all parts of the west and Canada bear hunting. Hoping we ALL have stories to tell and bloody arras to momento this spring!
Mike Davenport

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Doesn't seem possible but in only (?) 7 weeks or so (mid May) I'll be getting after them on the greening up slopes.  Here's one in May last year.

On the way up, the forget-me-nots were awesome.

And one I got not quite close enough to on that same trip.  Couldn't have gotten an arrow thru that tangle anyway.

Wishing you all the best.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Nice pics. Almost forgot.... Ill be taking the shrew classic hunter. 49lb @ my 27" draw. Shooting Bemans tipped with 170 grns of zwickey. tic toc tic toc..... I'm with Mike is it may yet.....
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
some fuel for the fire.....from spring 2011. Medium sized "sausage" bear and 6'6" boar. Both taken with a 65# osage selfbow, ash shafts and magnus2 heads. Spot and stalk.

Darcy  :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
April 1 is the spring bear opener here in Oregon. Pretty sure I will be taking that day off! I have cabin fever and need to get out with bow in hand ASAP.
Levi Bedortha

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Bear Quest 7 for me starting June 8th in Quebec. I'll be taking a couple TimberGhost bows with either AD Trads or Axis Trads and Simmons broadheads. My bows are 59# and 62# unless I decide to shoot one of my one piece hybrids at 53#. It'll be my first bear hunt and I can't wait.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©