3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Tembo Help and pictures  (Read 964 times)

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Tembo Help and pictures
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Think I narrowed my choice to HH Tembo. Black glass on the back and clear on the belly. I'm thinking on the bow weight 45#@ 27" with 68" length and Cocobolo riser. Now I can't make up my mind on the grip Dished or locator. I had a Big 5 with straight grip I'm thinking one of the other to would be better for more constant grip. With my arthritis in my draw hand this will help with the longer limbs in a lighter weight. Just got to make up my mind on the grip any thoughts?

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Tembo Help and pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Only you know what you would feel most comfortable with. Good choices on the bow.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Will do the string follow also.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I have a bow that's almost identical to what you're considering, except mine is 66 inches.  It has a dished grip.  Craig's locator grip would probably be better for consistent hand placement, but the difference between them is quite small.

You might want to consider a 66-inch bow.  Mine is marked 46#@28, but scales 48#.  That's fairly common for Hills.  A lot of them are a few pounds heavier than marked.  The reason I suggest 66 inches is that to make a 68-inch bow of the same poundage, it's necessary to beef up the limbs quite a bit.  More limb weight detracts from performance slightly and contributes to increased hand shock.  On the positive side, it adds to overall bow weight, which can make the bow a little easier to hold on target.

I've just always found 66-inch Hills to be a little more lively and quicker than 68-inchers of the same poundage.  I draw 28 inches.  With a 27-inch draw, 66 inches wouldn't be overtaxing it.  It would still draw very smoothly.

Something to think about.  If possible, try to shoot a bow of each length in a similar weight range before you place your order.

Good luck in your selection. Can't go wrong either way.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Get the dished. If you don't like it, you can always make it a locator. Pretty tough to go the other way.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I have 2 different bows from HHA both with locators.  One is close to 12 years old with a slight locator.  The other I got last June with a much more pronounced locator.  I also just got a David Johnson with a dished grip.  I can shoot any of them as well as the other.  If I had to give the nod to one grip it would be the more pronounced grip on the HH I got last June.  Not that I can shoot it any better than the other two, its just more comfortable.  Once you know how to shoot a HH style longbow I believe you can quickly adjust to one style a grip to another.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Would the extra limb length cause my bow arm top mussel hurting when I shoot a lot to where I have to wear a brace its like tennis elbow or is it something else?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
If you could get to a shoot or with some Trad Gang members near you, try to shoot a few and see what you like best. Just a thought you could get a straight grip and if that doesn't work for you it could be change to one of the other two choices very easily.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I`ve shot 66" Hill bows a lot. I shot one that was 68 and fell in love with it.Easy to tell a difference in how smooth it was to pull. My next Hill will probably be 68.I draw 27 as well.I did notice it may have not been as fast but that really matters little to me. Comfort is better than speed as I "Mature".RC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
66 inches 68 inches.  Either is in the wheelhouse for a 27-28-inch draw.  Gotta agree with RC re smoothness of draw.  Longer seems a bit smoother, but again, the difference, to me at least, was very slight. Try before you buy if you can.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Dad.
For a consistant grip.
When you grip the bow place your thumb on top of the leather wrap, do that everytime....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I have 3 Hills; one with straight grip, one with dished, and one with locator. I use my index finger as a guide, placing it just below the shelf on all three, and I can't tell any difference. I do notice a bit more handshock with the straight grip if I don't hold the bow firmly enough. Otherwise, for me at least, it is a tossup. Your mileage may vary.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by mike g:
Dad.
For a consistant grip.
When you grip the bow place your thumb on top of the leather wrap, do that everytime....
Good stuff Mike g...I do this also!

I am partial to the white glass on the belly  :saywhat:

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I agree with those who say to try before you buy if that is possible.  

I have a 66" Tembo, a 66" Redman and a 68" Cheetah.  My draw length is 26 1/2" and to me the 68" feels sluggish compared with the other 2.  I never shoot the Cheetah for that reason.  All of my bows have the straight grip. I say start with the straight and if you don't like it you can make a dished or locator pretty easily - hard to go back the other way.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I had a straight grip in a 68". I went to a dealer and he had a Northern Mist Baraga with a locator grip but the bow was only 62" long the grip felt nice. With the short length I couldn't relax into the bow. I'm kind of slow and deliberate when I get into my form. I cant a little I wonder if the 66 or 68 length would be better with this style?

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:

I am partial to the white glass on the belly   :saywhat:  [/QB]
You mean like this?   :goldtooth:

This is a 64" string follow Tembo.  I have tried a locator grip but prefer the straight style.  I would also like to try a shallow dish some day.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Mike nice looking bow!

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
I ordered my Tembo today! Now the wait. Thanks for your help. I went with 66' and 26" draw and Cocobolo riser black wrap,carmolized boo, string follow, straight grip and a 14.5 riser length and a FF sting and black glass front and back

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Look forward to the pics! How long of a wait do you have?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
If it's the usual Hill wait time he'll have  around 3 weeks.  I never had a longer wait than that on four different orders from Craig.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©