3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cap dipping arrows with spray paint  (Read 1467 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
cap dipping arrows with spray paint
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
This is a question for all of you who have used spray paint to "cap dip" arrows.  I am wondering which types of paints work better than others, I have only used the bohning paints for dipping & cresting.  I just placed an order with Steve Turay for a  Northern Mist Baraga with green glass and would like to try to match some paint to it on the arrows I ordered from Big Jim's.  Thanks for any info I can get, just wanting to try something new.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cap dipping arrows with spray paint
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
On my cedars I use Krylon Lacquer in whatever color I need and then clear Lacquer on the whole shaft. Then Fletch-tite tape and bit of Fletch-tite glue on each end of the feather.....has worked well for me!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I'll keep an eye on this thread... I need info on this for carbons..and what glue to glue down feathers that won't burn/ bleed thru clear coats and/or spray paint

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
The Krylon Fusion (made for plastics) works good on carbons. I go with a base white coat, then whatever color I decide over that. I use clear Polycrylic spray as a top coat.

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Honestly I use the 99 cent spray paint from wally world, my routine goes like this, I only shoot wood too.

Minwax stain and seal whatever color I choose. Let dry for 24 hrs.

Rub down with 000 steel wool, then apply 1 coat of minwax fast drying poly in clear gloss, wait 8 hours then apply a second coat. let dry for 24 hrs.

give the shafts another rub of steel wool to make sure they are nice and smooth, then I tape off however far down I want my crest to go with blue painters tape. then use the cheap paint to spray on my crest, let dry about 1 hour in between coats to avoid runs. here is a good time too to expieriment with fades,if you want.

let it dry for at least another 5-6 hours before applying two light coats of poly, otherwise you'll end up smearing your crest. you could use spy on poly here if you want.

after drying make sure your shafts are nice and smooth and dont need another rub down with the steel wool. and your ready to fletch!
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
When I spray the crown, I use rustoleum enamel.  I like how it takes a minimun of 2 hrs to dry.  It gives the paint time to flow together by not drying to fast, which leaves you with a smooth nearly flawless finish.  After 48hrs dry time(with this paint), I can move on to the next phase of arrow making.

I have learned that arrow making is supposed to be fun, NOT fast.  Sit back, and enjoy the process, and every little detail of it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Listen to Mike Vines.  I made a bunch of wood arrows this past summer and used his advice alot.  They came out better than I could imagine.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I had good luck using the KILZ in the spray can for just a white Cap. I'm sure any color would work as long as You clear coat it.

bretto

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
I like Krylon Fusion too for carbons. About 2-3 coats steel wooling in between with 0000. Crest, then seal with a couple of coats of Minwax wipe on poly.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I do it a little different w/ woods but I only use the same color fletching as my cap.

After sanding prep.I fletch the shaft w/ Duco glue.Glue right to bare wood!

Tape off the legnth of cap and spray paint the whole fletch end of the arrow.After drying, I work the paint off the fletching.

Then finish staining the shaft to the cap.Seal the arro up to the cap.No need to seal the painted cap,for the paint will seal the wood.

This method saves you alot of time and can be used w/ carbon arros w/ correct paint as mentioned above.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Anyone paint aluminums?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
Anyone paint aluminums?
Yes, same process but I sand the cap area first and clean with acetone before spraying cap. give the aluminum some "tooth" to hold the paint.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
If you miss a target do you ever get the paint to crack or chip off?
Schafer Silvertip

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, i certainly appreciate it.  I'm really interested in trying to do the fades, any tips on how to do that?  I've seen some pictures of your arrows Mike, truely works of art.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Just patients and practice.  If you don't have both, you are starting off wrong.  The hard things in life are that way for a reason.  If it were easy, everyone would do it.  Just take your time, and don't rush and you will be way ahead of the curve.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks Mike I have been building my own arrows and a few for friend for about 5 years, and it is relaxing, it is my way of getting away from the stress of work.  Just sit down and do what ever comes to mind to see how it turns out.

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Reddoge and/or anybody, what type of glue do you use to attach feathers to the carbon shaft with poly on top of all the capping/cresting..Thanks

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Some sage advice from some top notch arrow makers for sure. Always appreciate when others here share their expertise.

I've painted all 3 types of shafts with super results. For me I have come to prefer the gloss white Lowe's Valspar spray paint. Has performed flawlessly every time.

Some great tips above soi won't repeat but a few more:

1. Really try to avoid the super hot high humidity days for painting.

2. I leave at least 24 hours between coats and sometimes longer.....don't rush.

Making your own arrows is great fun and has added another demension to my enjoyment of trad archery.

Good luck.....don't hesitate to try new things.....have fun!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Oops!

Forgot to add that I like to use the water based sealer and I put it on with a foam brush. Max control this way.

Love fletch tape.....keep it in the refrigerator for best results. Trust me you can tell!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
I use krylon spray paint, let them dry a couple hours and crest with testors model paint, dip in water based poly a couple times and then let the arrows cure for about 3 days before fletching with Duco cement.

It seems as long as all the chemicals are compatible I never have "runs" "bleed through" etc.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©