3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Before I buy a GPS...  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before I buy a GPS...
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Gee, I don't know what's going on but I seem to be seeing eye-to-eye with Biggie a lot lately :^)  I have 2 GPS units, the Etrex "legend" (pretty good for open sky, flat land conditions) and a new Garman GPSMAP 60CSx which is by far the best unit I've played with for keeping a signal in heavily wooded areas and hill country. I recently tested it in the Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l park and it performed flawlously.  Another great feature is the 2 GB card I placed in it enabling me to download a ton of topo maps.  Like my Etrex Legend, the 60CSx has a built-in map of North America displaying all major highways, exits, water features, points of interest, etc.  I bought my 60CSx at Gander Mountain in Indianapolis for $439. It was a special package that included USB, cigarette lighter cables, plus a North America topo CD worth $100. I great deal . . . sorry Biggie!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
No problem, I always pay top dollar :-(

In contrast to turkey slam Joey, I LIKE the pointer on the compass. Just remember if you're huntimng a new place, you have to calibrate the compass. It's easy but you have to remember to do it
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
"declinate" not calibrate  :rolleyes:
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Joey, I haven't bought the new one yet, still waiting for my old one to die, but I never liked the "compass" on it, since it only works when you are moving and can get a satellite signal, I would think the electronic compass would be a lot easier to use.

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
You might want to check the topic I put in the Pow Wow Forum here in the last day or so, "Anyone use a Garmin Rino GPS/FRS/GMRS?" This a combination gps/two way radio. Looks to be a very good unit from the replys I got. Check it out. Jim.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
I looked at the Rhino but went with the 60cs...Rick nailed it..unless your moving 2-3mph then that initial direction arrow will and most time is off. For example..You stop and say where is my truck?  Hit "Go To" Truck and the arrow on the compass page will point a direction...NOW....when you start moving that arrow a lot of time will change.. My Garmin 12xl on the other hand will give me the info ..Truck...283degrees..then I would line my compass up and start walking...It took me a while to use to the electronic compass..I love it on my boat navigating through cypress stumps in the dark...but I love the old way...waypoint info in degrees not and electronic arrow...BUT these new ones will log on 2 to 1 quicker than my 12xl.....Main advice is a GPS is just another navigation device ...always carry your compass and a topo......they don't run on batterys!

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
i recently purchased the new magellan explorist 210.

it works very well and maps may be purchased and downloaded into it.

it's simple and ez to use and is battery powered and can be USB linked to a computer and external power. it does not recharge batteries, though. (although you could use rechargable batteries and remove them to recharge)you may also get a cigarette lighter adapter charger for your truck/atv/rv/automobile.

so far i've just used in off-roading but it follows your position to within 9 ft. it's pocket sized and variuos vehicular mounts are available, too.

it is relativley inexpensive, one-hundred fifty dollars and seems to be well worth it.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
"Before I buy a GPS" ... I'd learn to use a map and compass. I'm not being a wise-acre, but rather a realist. These things fail in various ways, and an old-fashioned backup is always the safe bet. Plus, nobody can claim to be a "woodsman" when navigating with a GPS. Ah, but then, not many today want to claim the old traditional American values in the outdoors ... they merely want to get out alive. So honestly demands to say that map and compass (map far more than compass) also often fail us -- as in flat but wooded terrain where you can surely get lost but there are no terrain features to naviate by ... and those proverbial "dark and stormy nights" when you can't see nuthin, including a map. For those who are really concerned and want to cover all bases, I say learn, carry, and use both. Or just hunt the back 40 and no worries.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I would not get one without an electronic compass.I dont like having to be moving for it to work.Also the new garmins are supposed to have the best recievers for thick canopy.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
How to use a map and compass...what a dying art..God Bless Boy Scouts and the Orientation merit badge...Eagle Scout 1976

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
How to use a map and compass...what a dying art..God Bless Boy Scouts and the Orientation merit badge...Eagle Scout 1976
That is exactly where I learned it too.  Only made it to Life(1982), but was also "OA" and one merit badge away from Eagle.  I wonder if they'd take "life experience" to let me finish it out now?     :bigsmyl:

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Dave, I agree, I am a compass and map guy all the way, but it sure a lot more convenient when I am walking to hit the goto button and get a direct route then to take off the pack and pull out the map. On one trip to Alaska, the pilot did not take us to the place we planned and the GPS was the only way we could even figure out which one of the thousand lakes on the topo was the one we were on.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I have the prior version of the 60CSx, it doesn't take the SD cards. After this season I am selling mine and getting the 60CSx. I love that unit though, it will usually pick up no matter what you are under. In my area it is also flat and while I say never carry a GPS without a compass and map and know how to use all three IN CONJUNCTION. The GPS has given bme the confidence to hunt the deep woods of the croatan more effectively than ever, won't go in the woods without it.

Flat, thick woods are tough to navigate, sure LA is te same as us here in the coastal woods.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Dave2old or joebuck, let me turn ya loose in the croatan with that old and dying art and see where it gets ya!!! LOL Dave2old said it though, I was taught to use a compass by my father a Marine. And I have since used one in all my SAR training (fire dept), I can use both very well, but I have a question?

Who on here can tell me the number of steps, pace it takes them to cover 100yards, 100 feet, 50 feet, 30 feet?  

That is what it takes to traverse the woods in my area and then be able to navigate around impossible thickets and return to previous course. Doubt many if any on here can do it. and return to the truck. In my area I pay attention to the compass my map, my GPS, and the sun if it is shining. Use all these things in coordination.
Using all the tools available makes you a smart woodsman at my truck in the evening, not a lost woodsman wondering around getting a blood transfusion by mosquito. LOL

Hope ya paid attention to Bear Grylls teachings on man vs. wild!  :D  

Trust me use all the tools in the tool box

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Magellan has always had a better reception. Have even been able to pick up sats inside some buildings.
  Everyone thats using a gps needs to check out jdmcox.com download his software usaphotmap excellant. Uses aerial photos mark your way point on the aerial then download them to your gps or gps to aerial. Also trails and route can be download to map.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
J-Dog,Don't want to bust your bubble but I have been on many a drop hunt in Alaska, Alberta, Colorado, Idaho, Arizona, Montana and heck North Ga for that matter with a Compass and 7.5 Topo...I couldn't even spell GPS back then..I'm sure there are plenty of silent posters here too with my background or better....There is more to looking at a compass to see which way is North...aquiring the other info is the dying art...

I do not know the answer to your question. I work on Meters that parallel with my UTM cordinates. Do you know what that is?

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Joe did you have mountains to go by> Landmarks? I would think so. I use topos like it is going out of style, but on my topo I have maybe one or 2 contour lines, I can only see 30 yards in front of me. My topo is just GREEN FLAT EXPANSE, navigate with that, you can't, or it is difficult as there are NO landmarks not even a cell tower.

What best i do is just know bout where I am and what direction I mainly move in and the area I will normally stay around for the day then I can normally hit back at my road, not right at my truck mind you but within easy walk if it was a deep trip.

Oh yeah Universal transverse mercators(sp?) do you no good here. My brother in law who is a Lt. Cmdr. in the Navy and does all that old navigating by the sun and the stars (celestial navigation) he loves to sail like my dad did, anyway he bought me a plastic see through grid system that breaks down the UTM grids further and allows you to use the info from your GPS to exactly pinpoint my spot on the topos. Pretty neat and again another good tool. A GPS, map, and a compass.

Later

J

Joe no problems, if you could burst my bubble and teach me how to precisely navigate these woods with just a map and compass I would be forever gratefull. My only point is there is more to being a good woodsman than shunning all technology. you have a good un. Never been to all the places you have so I do not have the experience, but i got to think they are easier to navigate. sorry, landmarks are key.
Always be stubborn.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
J-Dog ..I started using UTM in late eighties on my 4lb Lowrance GPS because I was wading in a 20,000 acre flooded timber Federal Refuge tracking back to my duck holes. As you know water is flat and flooded timber is tricky. I also grew up in the Mississippi Delta and hunted some of the flatest land in North America on Mississippi River for last 30 years....I use UTM every occasion.  I would encourage you to learn that tool (UTM) in conjunction with your GPS and TOPO. It will make you a better woodsman.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
J-Dog, after reading your posts ....somewhere in my previous posts you got ( or I gave) the impression I was anti-technology...absolutely not..I own 3 GPS....I love them.... I looked at Croatan National Forest aerial map...your right it's flat...flat like home...Navigating those woods with compass and topo would be difficult but basic orienteering skills would work. For example..sighting down your compass heading to a fixed landmark ( usually a tree) then walking to that tree and again sighting down your compass heading to a landmark ( another tree) then walking to that tree. As you can see this takes time and is slow but you can get pretty precise.Any scheduled change in directions must be prerecorded in a 3" x 5" pocketnote book against a UTM grid to measure meter distance  to that change. I know that 3 steps equal 2 meters for me but sometimes I cheated and used one those walking pedometers.I also break and hang brush at every re-heading and change in heading...just basic stuff like that...anyway good luck in swamp down there. you hunt some gorgeous woods....If you bump into my friend Donny Joe ( he farms down there)...He's knows how to get lost...we spent the night in Malmasion, Greenwood Ms one night.....good luck

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
The basic ETrex is great.  The ETrex Legend that you can download maps to is nice but too complicated for my general use.  I'm a keep it super simple guy.  I did use it in Utah on an elk hunt and loved it but someone set the maps up for me.  The times I've had to go through the trouble weren't really worth it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©