3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Before I buy a GPS...  (Read 4042 times)

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before I buy a GPS...
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I'll just add that most people buy way more GPS than they really need. I am on my fourth GPS, and here's what I have learned:

Magellan is easier to navigate the menu's and more user friendly.  Garmin is harder to find your way around.

Garmin has a better antenae and keeps sat lock better.

Make sure your GPS is WAAS enabled.

Carry a good papaer map and a compass.

Now the hard part, learn how to effectivly use the GPS in conjunction with the map and compass..  Do you know the difference between a map datum and the magnetic declination? Do you know what UTM is?  

Fianally you need practice, I recommend you go to  www.geocahing,com  for a fun time.. Geocaching is a fun way to learn how to use that GPS and a great family activity.

The best prices I have seen are at      http://www.gpsonsale.com/index.html  

For free USGS topo maps software on your home puter, go here   www.jdmcox.com
Damn Nice guy

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
One GPS that I haven't seen mentioned on here is the new Garmin etrex vista HCX.   It's color, has the compass, has an SD slot etc., but that isn't the reason I bought it.

I like the form factor of the etrex too.  It is the smallest size of the Garmin's. But that isn't the reason I bought it either (I already have the legend).

I bought it because it has the newest chipset in it.  GPS folks are reporting this chipset is amazing as far as quick acquisition (the legend is slow) and staying locked on in canopy cover.  I have never used a GPS that can do that.  

I also hear that the Garmin 60 series is great, but this HCX has the same chipset and it costs a lot less.  (And I am sure the 60 has more features, though they aren't of interest to me).   I paid $240.  

Also check out this software, ExpertGPS.   www.expertgps.com   If you have access to a good (doesn't need to be great) internet connection, I cannot think of better software.   I have used it (and tried others) and I cannot find better software for hunting.  It sucks arial photos and topo maps of various magnification from the net, hence the comment on the internet connection.  Though I have even downloaded maps via a modem.  It still works.

Lastly it would be great to have a GPS question without someone professing that the world has gone to heck since these were invented. It is ok if that is your opinion.  It just gets tiring for the folks interested in the topic.

- Dave

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
LT-M-GROW,
Maybe you can help me ??? I am GPS ignorant sorta, I have a GPSMAP60CSX and DeLorme software. What I want to be able to do is pre-scout and area on the computer, point to lat / long and download that to the unit and have it take em there BEFORE setting foot on the ground. The only use I have for my GPS now is to scout the land, makr spots and then have it take me back. I also want to be able to overlay my tracks and stand locations on my map in my computer so I can compare where I actually am on the map. I bought DeLorme software cause it is 24K resolution, the Garmin software is 100K useless junk ! I even spoke with the techies and geeks at both Garmin and Delorme without any help. As a matter of fact Garmin geeks even agreed with me that their software sucks ! I am so tired of buying something that never works as advertised. The USB cable that is supplied with the Garmin unit to interface with the computer would not work with the DeLorme software. When I aksed for a serial cable Garmin sent it and it has a printer plug on one end !@#$%!!!! Computer has 3 USB ports, but no old style printer output ! I give up ???   :help:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
here are a couple of sites with useful info on using your gps with utm and paper maps for navagation.

http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/UsingaGarminGPSwithPaperLandMaps_Manual.pdf

No cams I believe that some software only works with certain gps.

MQQSE maybe we should apologize for hijacking your thread but extra the info has been very useful.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks to the mods for letting this up. This has been immensely helpful.

I'm shopping the Garmin 76CsX for various reasons. I don't need all the stuff, but I've been so frustrated in deep hollows and under even bare trees with my Etrex it just isn't worth it to me... When it tells me wrong in areas I know, I don't/won't trust it where I'm in need of help.

I love the topo map route, but they get pretty expensive (seems I always end up needing one corner of 4 darned maps to get an area I'm working) to get the right parcel when you tend to move around different areas.  And then there is that pesky issue of having to stop, dig it out, dig out the bifocals, and a light...  :rolleyes:    :D  .

Again, thanks for the pricing link above on one and the maping stuff on other posts!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
NoCams..sorry to butt in but I would like to help you...Go to Google or Terra Server and find your hunting spot on the aerial or topo with the cursor and it will give you the cordinates. ( i use UTM because it works with my 7.5 topo) then go to your GPS reciever and enter that location ( Google cordinates) as a new waypoint.. That is the easiest when software doesn't match.

Mqqse.....after all this sidetracking, skill challenging, and Boy Scout Orientation 101...heres my advise for buying a GPS in order of preference.

1.Buy one with WAAS satelite tracking ( nite and day from the old parallel)

2. Get one that Only uses 2 AA batteries  ( My Lowrance Acumap uses 4-c, My garmin 12XL uses 4 AA, and my Garmin 60cs use 2 AA. My next will uise 1 AA?

3. Select the software menu you like.User friendly. Also I like my control buttons at the bottom of my GPS unit not the top because my hand will cover up the LCD when pressing the buttons. Go somewhere like Bass pro shop and try all theirs

4.IMO don't spend extra money for features. You basically just want one to find your truck at dark or mark a persimmon tree. Later on you may want more.

5.Tie a COMPASS on your GPS lanyard..electronics break.

6. Buy a 7.5 Topo map of your hunting area and learn UTM. It's easy and a great great tool to use map and gps in conjunction.....

Thats it for me..I'm out here and I'll let the other experts take over
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
NoCams -  

First off no - expert.  I love a gps.  I think it is a great tool to keep me hunting longer.  And that makes it valuable.  It gets me hunting in the (likely) best spots as quick as possible and back to spots that are prefered -- quickly -- especially if you have wind issues and never trekked the direction before.

So how do I use the software (expertGPS) and the gps...

The bottomline, I generate waypoints in the field (on the gps) and I generate waypoints on the 'puter.  I can move the waypoints in both directions and plot them over aerial photos or topo maps.  It is so easy it scary.   All the maps are "automatically" downloaded from the net as you move around.  ie.  If you move left and the map hasn't been downloaded yet.  It retrieves it automatically.  Once you have it, it is stored on the computer for later on-screen and printer use.

For example, I leave for the BigHole, MT Sept 7.   Never hunted this area before.  I am using the software to "walk around" in topo view or aerial view.   Been doing it for days.  I am marking areas of interesting either road crossings, mts., H2O etc.

I will transfer these waypoints to my GPS and I have those as starting references.  I also print the topo maps and carry those with the waypoints marked.

Now when I get there, I will hunt.  So as a stroll around (on foot) I will go to the spots I think have merit and mark spots I see in the field on the GPS along the way.  I am also going with two buddies who will do the same.  When I get back at night, I will download my gps, and theirs and look at the topos and aerials again.  The new markings from the gps seem to always show a "pattern" of sorts and does it in a hurry.  We have also speeded up the scouting by a factor of three.  Always a bonus when you live a long ways away from the area.  This case about 1200 miles away.

The software can do more, like plotting your track (where you've been) from the gps and planning exact routes (where you want to travel)from the 'puter to the gps.  Both move easily back and forth.  I don't use this when hunting, but have  on week-long backpacking trips, which is fun.

One thing, I think there is other software that does this.  I have tried the MapSource stuff, I forgot who on here said is wasn't good - it isn't.  ExpertGPS is simple and works for me. I used it for years.  

So that is it.  It is a tool that works for me.  And yes I will have my laptop in camp along with my morrison shawnee :-)

- Dave

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Joebuck and lt-m-grow,
Thanks for the help, I can use all I can get with GPS ! I do use and know terraserver and google earth. Do not know how to get lat and long on terraserver to show up as you scroll over a aerial or topo ??? I can do that with my DeLorme sofware no problem, just have to enter manually due to software / hardware compatibility. I also wanted to have the map in my gps unit too. I am wanting to be able to see where I am on the topo map with the handheld unit. That was the whole reason I bought a high end gps and software.

lt-m-grow, at least we the same taste in bows too, I love my Morrison ! However, I love my Shrew, and Griffin too !    :banghead:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
No Cams, easiest and cheapest way is change your measurements from Long/lat over to UTM on your GPS....When you look at your GPS location it will give you a UTM number..actually 2...Your 7.5 topo map is divided up into square 1000 meters...Take the UTM number and find it on the 7.5 topo map....thats where you are..heres a crude example from Terra Serva from my hunting club....Those numbers to left and top are UTM numbers ( 7.5 topos have the same thing in a slightly different way)....On this map between each line is 800 meters..up or down or east or west...I'm in the woods at my deer stand..GPS tells me I'm at N701,300 and W 3794600.....I take my map ( this example is aerial Terra Serva but you could use a 7.5 topo) First find the first number..I locate the 700's.. I know the N701,600 is my right border and I'm 300 meters from it( 701,600-700,300= 300 meters....the block is 800 meters long so I estimate where 300 is... then take that line down.. Do the same for the left side and where they intersect is where you are.. This is probably not the clearst example but hopefully you can figure it out......So if I printed this map off of Terra Serva and Had it in my pocket...as i walk through the woods..i can look on it and tell where I am from my UTM numbers..After using this for  short time you will be able to eyeball where the lines meet.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks joebuck, makes sense !
  :thumbsup:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
goto MYTOPO.com, you can center your map anywhere you want so you don't have to work in the corner of four maps, that always happens to me to. The mytopo maps are available in several sizes and scales and they have excellent service.
According to my Garmin brochure the only models with the high sensitivity receiver are; the GPSMAP,60Cx,60CSx,76Cx,76CSx.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
"

posted August 27, 2007 03:38 PM                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Cams, easiest and cheapest way is change your measurements from Long/lat over to UTM on your GPS....When you look at your GPS location it will give you a UTM number..actually 2...Your 7.5 topo map is divided up into square 1000 meters...Take the UTM number and find it on the 7.5 topo map....thats where you are..heres a crude example from Terra Serva from my hunting club....Those numbers to left and right are UTM numbers ( 7.5 topos have the same thing in a slightly different way)....On this map between each line is 800 meters..up or down or east or west...I'm in the woods at my deer stand..GPS tells me I'm at N701,300 and W 3794600.....I take my map ( this example is aerial Terra Serva but you could use a 7.5 topo) First find the first number..I locate the 700's.. I know the N701,600 is my right border and I'm 300 meters from it( 701,600-700,300= 300 meters....the block is 800 meters long so I estimate where 300 is... then take that line down.. Do the same for the left side and where they intersect is where you are.. This is probably not the clearst example but hopefully you can figure it out......So if I printed this map off of Terra Serva and Had it in my pocket...as i walk through the woods..i can look on it and tell where I am from my UTM numbers..After using this for short time you will be able to eyeball where the lines meet"

That's as clear as Chinese arithmatic. I guess I'm too old school. Hell, I still prefer the dial telephone. I've Never gotten lost with a good compass....
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Rick -

The Vista HCX is new and has the high sensitivity chipset too.  

From  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8703

"Deep foliage, nor canyons faze the rugged eTrex Vista HCx. Its high-sensitivity receiver holds a GPS signal in the toughest environments."

Don't pay that price though... to high by about a third.

Dave

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
" I guess I'm too old school. Hell, I still prefer the dial telephone. I've Never gotten lost with a good compass....".....

A man definitely needs a good compass to find his way out of 40 acres...  :goldtooth:

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Just catching up on this thread.

Just my .02 worth...

I have a Garmin Foretrex 101 and love it.  Just the basics.  My experience proves that most outdoorsmen don't use or need all the bells and whistles on the high-dollar units.  I spent WAY too much on my first GPS, a Garmin 12-Map.  I also use my GPS for backup for my compass and map, instead of the other way around.  So, I would say get a really good compass, like a Brunton 54LU, get a good map scale that'll fit in your pocket, and get a good, basic, GPS.  The low end eTrex, a Foretrex 101 or a Gecko if they still make them.  IMO, that's all you need.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Rick McGowan is right about mytopo.com, great site, love the color aerials ! After talking to everyone and the VP's of Garmin I now know for sure that we are all being sold a bill of goods with the upper end Garmin MAP series units. The only way to get a map in the unit is to use the Garmin MapSource software. Guess what it is totally useless !!! It is 100K resolution. Our good ole topo's are 24K or better. If anyone knows good GPS websites where I can bash Garmin please, do tell !!! I hate being lied too, don't you ? Please help me spread the word so others are not duped !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
NoCams,
I have a Garmin Vista CX and I love it.  Borrowed my brother-in-laws Vista a couple of years ago for a Idaho elk hunt and was so impressed the way it worked I came home and bought a Vista CX myself with the Garmin US Topo software.  Even bought the canadian topos for a bear hunt this past spring in Quebec.  Thing works like a champ and I wouldn't change to another brand GPS for nothin'.  No Garmin bashin' from me. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Got maps from MYTOPO too, great service, and excenllent maps.  I still always carry a Brunton map compass too.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Garmin is the bomb and you have to use UTM. I nearly upgraded recently to one with TOPO capability, but I have been told that the topos are almost worthless on the small screen-can anyone comment on the detail and usefulness of the topos on the GPS?

I love my basic garmin, it has saved my butt on more than one occasion in the big woods.
BD

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
don't drive off with it sitting on the bumper after getting out of your hunting duds... I did that...

bummer...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©