3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So where do they go?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
So where do they go?
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Hi gang, just wondering your thoughts. Got back from spring break with the kids and had to so a little stumping in the front yard. Now, I was shooting at a favorite target and aimed a tad low in front of the target in my grass. No problem right? WRONG! I cannot for the life of me (or my son) find the darn arrow. I shot into the grass as a low angle and thought for sure the arrow would be easy to find. No dice, it must have burrowed beneath my sod or been abducted by aliens! Anyone else have this happen? Got me to thinking where was the strangest place you have found your "lost" arrows?

Happy Easter to all!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So where do they go?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Grass is the worst unless maybe snow.
At least with snow you can usually find them later.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
Grass swallows them up, for sure!

Bisch

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Any suggestions to find one? I had my son crawling on all four looking.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Metal detector or use a rake very softly

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I shot a deer 3 years ago it ran off with the arrow still in it but the arrow had came out and was not in the deer when I recovered the deer. I looked that day and several other days along the trail the deer took to find the arrow with no luck. Last year in scouting before the season I was scouting in the same area, had not even thought about that being the area the shot deer had run through. Anyway I heard and then saw some deer get up and run off so I stopped to watch them. Before moving I happened to look down and there was my arrow mostly burried in the leaves. My first thought was someone lost an arrow, then I remembered that was where the deer I had shot the year before. If those deer had not ran off exactly when they did causing me to stop exactly where I did I would probably never found that arrow.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Metal detector!!! Even the cheapest model You can find will work.

Unless Your shooting Cane arrows with Horn nocks and Bone points. LOL

bretto

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me the other day Roverrich. Actually I went back out today to see if I could them, no luck. Guess they end up in the same place as the socks from the laundry dryer.LOL. God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
The arrow Gnomes collect them to build fences around their homes.....helps keep the trolls away......   :saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I once found an arrow that buried in some tall grass even with a judo point on it...three years later.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Walk the area barefoot. Crossing the direction of the shot. Move about a foot and repeat. You'll feel it underfoot. DO NOT! Do this with broad head arrows.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Get a large nail and drill a hole in the end of an old rake or broom handle and tap and/or expoxy the nail in.  Then bend the nail into a right angle hook.  You can gently pull the nail through the grass until you hook the arrow.  Those buggers can really hide under the sod.  I usually use Ace hex head blunts when shooting in the yard.....helps a BUNCH.   Good luck!
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
If you shot carbon just take one with a field tip and run it through the grass perpendicular to the line of arrow flight. Make sure to cover a good width so you don't miss it. Do passes close enough that you don't skip it. About two foot apart. Run the shaft down to the roots our lower if the dirt is loose. Lift up in the shaft often as you work. Don't give up. They can skid a lot farther than you think and even track off to the side sometimes. You can do this with wood our aluminum also but be a lot more careful.

I have one of those ace arrow finders also. Works well for some cover like leafs, but not as well as a field tip arrow in thick grass.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Barefoot is the way to do it.  Once someone from TradGang suggested that to me, I have never lost an arrow to the grass (in my backyard) again.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I sucked one up with the lawn mower one time. I was sorry I chopped it up but glad I finally found the SOB!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Barefoot has worked for me, but I'm still amazed how they just disappear off the face of the earth, and are bright colors to boot!!
Barry

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I love to shot around the yard. leaves, tennis balls and dandelions make great random targets.I use blunts like hammer heads, vpa sgt's or a judo. If I don't use them I spend most of the time looking for arrows in the grass.

I lost an arrow out to the farm shooting this winter out by the barn. we are out this weekend and the snow is off so I figured it would be east to find that arrow. I looked all over down range of where it hit and skidded on the frozen ground. No luck. I went all over shooting and them back to the barns to shoot back and forth up and down a little hill side. After about an hour of this I stopped to pick up arrows and looked up to see my lost arrow  partly proped up against a tree in the mowed area where I had been shooting and walking past over and over. In my defense I must say the feathers on that one are not very bright and it was a long way off to the side of where it first hit the ground weeks ago.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Barefoot method works for me. I'm the one that my buddies get to find there arrows in the grass.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by bretto:
Metal detector!!! Even the cheapest model You can find will work.

Unless Your shooting Cane arrows with Horn nocks and Bone points. LOL

bretto
Steel points read "09" on my Fisher F-75.  ;-)

I keep a slightly bent aluminum shaft in my stumping quiver.  Dragging it over grass/sod/leaves in rows every 6" will often give the telltail "plink" of a wood shaft.

Usually I find them closer than expected rather than far behind the target.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Ajooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I like when you find a different arrow that you had forgot all about losing while looking for the arrow you just lost.  So long ago the steel tip is all crusty with rust.  This didn't happen to me last week or anything just sayin....  :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©