3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So where do they go?  (Read 1242 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: So where do they go?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I dunno, I've never lost an arrow:)

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Maybe it skipped up off the ground instead of getting buried in the grass. I've had that happen, and found it further up embedded into a tree. The grass does really suck them up though.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by magnus:
Walk the area barefoot. Crossing the direction of the shot. Move about a foot and repeat. You'll feel it underfoot. DO NOT! Do this with broad head arrows.
The very first archery range I ever went to back in the 70's was just a large grass field that people could bring their targets to and shoot.  Well after we were done and the was no on around. My dad would tell my brother and I to take our shoes off and walk across the grass we always found bunches of them. This way

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I sucked one up with the lawn mower one time. I was sorry I chopped it up but glad I finally found the SOB!
Lol.

I'm gonna have to try that barefoot thing. I've got an arrow in my backyard/edge of the woods I haven't been able to find yet, and I watched it hit the ground when I missed and skip but I guess I didn't see where it stopped because I went straight out to go get it and never found it and I've searched up and down back and forth scraping leaves and grass for hours lol. I hate losing arrows, its like throwing away $8.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
I use our three prong cultivator hoe to rake them out.  I rake across the direction of the arrow.  Have tried to train my lab to sniff them out for me but no luck there yet.  I'm sure someone better at training dogs than me could though.

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I have a Beautiful little Lab.retriever that finds my errant arrows. It doesn't take long to train a dog to find them. So far she has found them all,even in my wheat field.Incredible noses on these critters.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ajooter:
I like when you find a different arrow that you had forgot all about losing while looking for the arrow you just lost.  So long ago the steel tip is all crusty with rust.  This didn't happen to me last week or anything just sayin....   :knothead:  
Sounds like you made the same mistake twice   :knothead:   Of course I have never done that   :rolleyes:  

advice.... don't shoot into hard snow banks, seems you still get great penetration.     :banghead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I consider myself a true conservationist when I release one of my woodies back into the wild.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
They go into a time warp. They are gone for a few years, and then bam, you find them clear as day with the fletching gone except for the quill.

Found one last week just like that.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
I consider myself a true conservationist when I release one of my woodies back into the wild.

God bless,Mudd
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

Lost one just yesterday....I know exactly where it is though but it's still LOST.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Give it several months and they fester like a sliver   :saywhat:

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I sucked one up with the lawn mower one time. I was sorry I chopped it up but glad I finally found the SOB!
LOL!

Last spring turkey season, I took a shot on a bird that ducked and bolted. Arrow missed, skipped off in the dirt and grass and I heard it ricochet off a couple of trees on its way through the woods. Went looking for it to no avail. Exactly one week later, hunting in the same spot, I decided why not go look again. About 100 yards from where the arrow was shot, still nothing, until I turned around to check the angle. There at eye level stuck in a tree at a 90 degree angle to the direction it came from, was my arrow. Go figure.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
It's the same group of "aliens" that hang around golf courses. They like to reach up out of the water and grap your golf ball out of mid air. In my area they seem to prefer the little water holes on the par 3 holes the best.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I use an old broom handle with a coat hook attached at the end. I can find most of them with that. But still some get a way. I don't think I could find them with a plow and a tractor. Gary

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Every once in a while you must send a arrow to the arrow Gods. If not they get mad and cause you to lose or break many arrows at one time which causes the archer to wonder what happened. This leads to second guessing your shooting and your equipment which can lead to money being spent. This leads you........... I think you get the idea.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
They go into a time warp. They are gone for a few years, and then bam, you find them clear as day with the fletching gone except for the quill.
LOL! Ya mean like this? Found this one the other day,lost it behind my target about a year ago.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
I missed a turkey last year.I was telling my buddy about it and said I didn't really mind the miss(hit my limb on a branch),but was bummed about losing a brand new arrow and broadhead. He gave me his metal detector to try out. I went back and found the arrow in about 30 seconds. Knee high pasture grass,without the detector I'd probably still be looking for it.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Thats what a dog is for, finding lost arrows. I also use a four prong rake to find them . But a dog can sniff them out when your not sure where they are at.  But I never miss.  :rolleyes:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I figure all my lost arrows are somewhere near all my lost socks and some car keys.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
A metal detecter will pay for itself just finding arrows. I took mine to a field archery course and found a bundle of arrows in just a couple of hours.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©