3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching jig  (Read 761 times)

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching jig
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I have a old grayling jig from my compound days but looking to upgrade. Looking something easy to use with 4 and 5 inch feathers. Also looking a good glue for feathers and aluminum shafts. Thanks

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching jig
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I use a BPE pro. Works great for aluminum, wood and carbon shafts. Plenty of room for 5" feathers as well. The Blitz gets the best reviews but I felt like for the price the BPE is a great jig.

Good luck
Levi Bedortha

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bearsfeet:
I use a BPE pro. Works great for aluminum, wood and carbon shafts. Plenty of room for 5" feathers as well. The Blitz gets the best reviews but I felt like for the price the BPE is a great jig.

Good luck
X2... The BPE is infinately adjustable. It takes a little bit to get it set up. I have 2 and have had them for years.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
If you buy a Bitzenberger it's the last fletcher you'll ever have to buy.  I bought mine in 1969 and it looks as good today as it it did then.  I use Duco cement for woodies, and Fletch-Tite Platinum for the rest.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll second the Bitz and as Bernie said it will last your life time and then some. I use Bohning fletch tape and a dab of Fletch-Tite Platinum on the tips of the feathers after fletching.

Regards,
Grouse

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Bitz for more years than I care to remember
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Dan in KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Here is another vote for Bitz.  Bought mine in 1976 and it is working as good as the day I bought it.  

DB

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Same Bitz for 40 years now and still love it.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by LeverActionman:
I have a old grayling jig from my compound days but looking to upgrade. Looking something easy to use with 4 and 5 inch feathers. Also looking a good glue for feathers and aluminum shafts. Thanks
Do a search, you will find plenty
Schafer Silvertip

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
BITZ, period.

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Ive used bitz, bear paw, and jo jan. The bitz was built better than the others with a lot of adjustment and over built, but Im also very happy with the bear paw. For the money its a good value.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
Everyone pumps up the bitz's and it is a great fleatcher, but the BPE Pro is basically the same thing in plastic, at half the price. And  different adjustments.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
I recommend the Jo-Jann multi-fletcher - and dont' recommend glue for fletching anything - use Bohning fletch tape and then put just a drop of Loctite Gel Control Super Glue on each end of the feather.  The only trick with the tape is it's best to store it in the refrigerator or freezer unless you're making arrows for a living.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Have had my bitz since the 70s and I bought it used.Not a problem in all those years.Having said that,I am thinking of buying a bearpaw if I can find out if it can be set up exactly the same as the bitz.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
yea bitz
Kevin Day

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Arizona E-Z Fletch Pro, check out the video on youtube. It really does work great.

"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Bitz

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
My Grayling can do a 5.5" banana with some minor tweaking, are you sure you're having issues with it?  4" are no problems at all!

The Bitz is a nice jig, but for what I paid for the Grayling (and a few extra clamps) I've more than gotten my monies worth out of it.

My next jig will be an Arizona EZ Fletch.  True the standard is straight/offset only no helical, but I've not run into issues with offset feathers with my broadheads.  The fact that I can get 3 feathers on a shaft NOW instead of gluing one, waiting, rotating, repeat, is awesome.  I don't mind fletching arrows, but there's a lot more I'd love to do with my time than babysit a shaft.

I do love the look of a 4deg helical, though - it's a pain to glue on to skinny shafts.  Looks like a prop from the back!

Glues I've gone all over, and still come back to Gel Superglue.  It's not perfect, I've had a few feathers peel off (and some vanes that weren't prepped right really came off quick) but it's cheap and local and works for me.
Support the sport!

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 03:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by wihill:
My next jig will be an Arizona EZ Fletch.   True the standard is straight/offset only no helical,  but I've not run into issues with offset feathers with my broadheads.  The fact that I can get 3 feathers on a shaft NOW instead of gluing one, waiting, rotating, repeat, is awesome.  
I'm not sure if your referring to the EZ fletch when you say the standard is no helical, but the Arizona EZ Fletch comes in a left helical and a right helical for both average and smaller sized shafts.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
If you buy a Bitzenberger it's the last fletcher you'll ever have to buy  
I have the Bitzenberger it was the second fletcheing jig and it will be my last. its made to last, I have done atleast 12 dozen and it works just as it did from the 1st.... I use both 4 inch and 5 inch feathers.
in case you were wondering the 1st was a bohning jig it was made of plastic and just didnt work the way I wanted it to
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©