3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dates set for 2nd RMR see pg. 18 "Rough Mountain Rendezvous"  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dates set for 2nd RMR see pg. 18 "Rough Mountain Rendezvous"
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
I'll be on to post the few pics I took before battery failure tomorrow.  I saw a 110" 8-point cross the road infront of me a mile before Bubbling Springs on the way out last night. He sure took his time crossing too.  Thanks for planning this Rob and for the chili.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
VA Bowbender's rule;  when bowhunting deer leave the squirrels alone!    :readit:  

Thursday morning, 9:00 AM , I am sitting in my treestand.  The wind has been blowing rather intensely most of the morning.  I haven’t seen a bird, squirrel, turkey or deer all morning. Finally a nice fat gray squirrel comes romping through the leaves.  I think, “Aw heck I might as well shoot at something”.  I switch off arrows to a blunt.  As I’m looking to see where the squirrel is a nice fork horn buck comes bounding down the hillside.  It ran down to my left then turned and ran right in front of me.  Here I am trying to get the blunt arrow off the string and put a broadhead arrow on.  Now the deer is 60 or so yards off to my right.  The deer is obviously spooked by something.  It ran to the edge of the field I was sitting on and then came to an abrupt stop.  It looked into the field then switched ends in a flash and started running back the way it came in.  While the deer was looking into the field I had the chance to put a broadhead arrow on the string.  Here he comes running past me at 18 yards.  Now I have the blunt arrow between my knees trying not to drop it, the deer is running within my range, I’m now twisted to my left.  I bleat…aaaahhhh… at the deer, he stops for a heartbeat, and the arrow is on its way.  I watch it fly perfectly right into…the leaves over the deer’s shoulder.  The deer bounds off never even knowing anything had happened at all.  This all took place in about 20 second.

If I had adhered to my own rule, when hunting deer leave the squirrels alone.  I would have been ready and taken a nice calm shot.  Instead I was hurried and out of position for the shot.  :knothead:  

My friend Dave and I had a GREAT time.  Yes, Ron is a talented camp chef.  Thanks Ron.
  :clapper:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
There we were half way up the mountain, squirrel jumps down onto the trail, I have no shot but Rob shoots and misses at around 40/50 yards (read 20) i see the dreaded beast leap up the tree, pause and turn around. After my previous experience shooting them with blunts I decide to go with the big guns 180 grain Grizzly El Grande! I knock him off the tree and he drops, success thinks I! we walk up to the point he dropped and low and behold he jumps up and runs off behind a log. We sneak up for the second kill shot and he scurrys up a tree and into a hole. I felt bad for not recovering the kevlar beast, but I know that he died real quick as he left a hell of a blood trail.

Bloody Skwerls!!!  :mad:  

Thanks to Rob, awesome time  :notworthy:  

Adam

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
One thing I learned this trip was that if a squirrel gives you a shot at 30 yards you better take it because he probably won't let you get any closer.  The most nervous/paranoid squirrels I've seen.  

Adam was it a complete pass-through or did he take your arrow with him?  Sorry we didn't get to spend more time together.  Bad timing and all.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2007, 05:33:00 AM »
You lucky! I didn't get to see him at all. As soon as folks heard I would be there on Saturday, they started bugging out of camp like roaches when the lights go on.  "[dntthnk]"  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
It was before the ligts came on, sorry I missed you. Are you going to came down to fullfilment with us?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
I know what you mean Killie.  I at least showed up the night before.  Seemed like a lot of hello-goodbyes.  Funny thing is I was worried about rolling in so late (10PM) that I'd be disturbing everyone.   :rolleyes:    Little did I know I'd be going to sleep before most of them.  LOL

I'll save my story until the rest get to Friday night in their telling.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Tell you what, Adam, I will. I will just quit my job, pack up the truck and spend the next three months hunting with you guys. Oh, four months. That'll take me through February. Am I going to live in your mother-in-law hause or are you just going to subsidize my mortgage payment? If it's the latter, my hubby and I would rather spend the mortgage subsidy on something other than this shoebox we live in. Oh, and then there's the truck payment...just the one as I will sell my mail truck 'cause I won't be a mailma'am anymore.

Now, Christmas is coming, and besides the rent and food (I love  good  food!) and truck payments and gas money (It's a Tundra) I will need funds to lavishly gift my friends and family. A couple grand oughta do it, as I don't want to be ostentatious.

Lemme know when to start packing and have the yard sale.
Killdeer  :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Work Sucks, I am blowing my last 4 days on these two hunts. I like the idea of a mailtruck!

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Just an update. Dave got home and has killed a 7pt and an 8pt. across the street from his house.  I'm going over there tomorrow!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :clapper:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Pix.  :readit:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
I don't know if he took any and he's cutting them up at an other friends house now.  I would have done it for him but I was taking my father in-law to eye surgery.  I'll ask him if he took any when I see him.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2007, 06:25:00 AM »
Sweet

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Where are Rob's pictures? Don't tell me he forgot to put in the memory card! Prolly left the lens cap on...  :campfire:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Yea Rob, We are waiting for you to post pics or start a new thread. I have some pics to post too. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
I can't believe ain't nobody said how much of an Honor it was to Finally meet and hunt with the Great String Cutter????
Yep Illy they  was runnin like roaches... Guess they got down wind of ya too many times??
As for the pics. I'm sure he's just havin trouble trying to bring out my true goodlookingness that the camera just can't seem to capture....DAng it's hard bein this great!
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
Oh. THAT'S what happened to his camera. He shoulda known, he's a pro and all.  :banghead:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
nope, the problem was i had to install a new computer system.  i have been working on this thing since i got back on Sunday afternoon.  i hate all the file transferring and stuff that needs doing.... any way hang tight i am getting close to being ready.  

here is one shot from the last evening out.  Bob Hardee you should remember this shot.

"MOON OVER ROUGH MOUNTAIN"
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
for those of you that left before Mrs. Killdeer arrived to bad.... I for one enjoyed her wit and passion even though she wouldn't eat but one bowl of my chili.    :confused:  

"Killdeer RMR 2007"
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©