3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dates set for 2nd RMR see pg. 18 "Rough Mountain Rendezvous"  (Read 4319 times)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dates set for 2nd RMR see pg. 18 "Rough Mountain Rendezvous"
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
It was awesome to finally meet that guy that I met on Trad and have talked to over the last year or two!! Just to say "thanks Bob" for all your putting me up and showing me around your neck of the woods. you have a great backyard bro and a fantastic family. Love ya bro. Enough of the blubbering!! Here's us before I spent half my dollars in the Pro shop. Him being too tall and me being too short I had to stand up on the fire hearth for this shot!LOL!!
     one of the days we did some small mouth bass fishing it was awesome. i have forgoten what river it was but here are some pics.           th scenery was great, different to our rivers back home. The fishing was great too, the bass really fight hard a bit like our sea kahawai. I didnt get to do any bowfishing but I had a lot of fun that day.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Jeff you are a real piece of work mate!  love the photos you have posted thus far.  can't wait to see the rest.  hope you had a trip to remember, that is if you and Ralph can remember any of it. JK of course.  glad to meet you and thanks again for the token of friendship.  

next time you come you will need to stay a month. if Bob can't put up with you that long i'm sure we can find a spot in the corner for you to lay your head.

wish i would have had time to get in a bunch of scouting so we could get you a deer, but hey that just gives you a reason to come back and soon.  

so that was you out there at 3a.m. in the morning?  i thought it was a bear growling and hocking up a fur ball from some critter he had just finished et'n.   :biglaugh:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
The funny thing is I knew right away who was puking in the dark..... Didn't know you could have an accent while doing it? But, I guess you learn something new every day???   Thanks Jeff for the quiver, hat and the 3 a.m. wake up call. I was laughing my butt off...  :campfire:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Day 2, the first steps in the woods with bow and arrows in hand...  

Big Ron and I headed out before day light to a spot know and appropriately named "Rob's Roost" and the "Watering Hole". just a little about these two spots to catch you up to speed.  i found this little piece of paradise, not to be confused with that place down in GA. where other know Trad Ganger's hunt. any way i i was out scouting one day before the season about 15 years ago when i came across this ridge that runs about half way up Rough Mountain.

as i was coming down i noticed how it narrowed down and flattened out a little. right as it started to flatten there was a persimmon tree dropping fruit. now i knew them whitetails liked these edibles. myself, my first experience with them turned my mouth inside out and then some. (that's another story for another time).

any way as i worked my way down the ridge i found several rubs and a bunch of deer droppings. a finger split off to the south and dropped down into a deep draw. the path traveled down through some white oaks and then through a really quiet section of evergreens. once through the pines it opened up to the creek bottom with a nice wide spot in the creek where the ground was covered with tracks like those you would find in a barn yard. numerous critters had been visiting this spot for a cool drink from the fresh mountain stream. after this hike i was ready to kick back so i parked my butt at the base of a huge white oak to rest my tired feet and legs.  

within minutes a doe with her two fawns tipped toed down the hill walking within 15 yards of my position. needless to say i started hunting this spot several weeks later. now back to the story.

by the time Ron and i got into the "Water Hole" the first hints of daylight were upon us. i showed Ron the lucky tree, we wished each other luck and i headed up the ridge. i was more on a scouting mission so i had opted to leave my tree stand back in the truck.

reaching the oak flat above the grove of pines i started looking for a good spot to construct a quick ground blind. with the help of the abundant mountain laurel i was able to set up just on the south side of the ridge about 20 yards from the crest.

i was visited by birds and even a fat squirrel that just wouldn't offer up a good shot. around 10am the crunching of dry leaves from behind me put me on red alert. from years of deer hunting i knew immediately that this was the sound of a deer walking up the ridge. all at once there he was. a nice 3x3 broadside at about 35 yards.

with the buck looking up the ridge in the opposite direction the shot was tempting but there was another deer with him that still had not shown itself. experience told me that this was probably a bigger or at least older buck and the possibility of getting a crack at a bigger buck overpowered the bird in the hand vs. the bush philosophy.  

the 3x3 finally did a 180 and headed back in the direction from which he had come and the two deer were gone. i though to myself "only if"? and then a big smile came over me. i hadn't taken the shot, but the opportunity had presented itself, the buck was unaware that i even existed and the encounter had satisfied my appetite for the time being.

i gathered my gear and quietly eased down the ridge to see if Ron had had any luck at the "Water  Hole".  it felt good to be back in the mountains spending time with my old friend "Rob's Roost" the ridge that received it's name from many days spent perched in a tree enjoying the beautiful view and nature that make this spot one of my all time favorite places to be.

photo taken on "Rob's Roost" in 1989

Day 2 continues.......
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
well thomas i hope the quiver will work for ya. as ya most welcome.any friend of ralphs is a friend of mine.  :biglaugh:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
i'm sooo sorry i missed out on this one.sounds like you guys had a blast.keep the pics comin.that's the next best thing to being there.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
as soon as i sort some out i will post em no problem.  :thumbsup:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
a couple of times we went to big rons for a hunt and here are the pics.  
it was nice to meet ron and melissa and holly and jake. i want to thank you for ya hospitality guys. (but not them jiggers) LOL!!!!

this is the spot where ron put me when he left i was sitting on the ground with bow on my lap and arrow on ground then i looked up and saw this doe comming straight at me but she offered no shot so i waved her goodbye. bad luck i did not have extra hands to use the camera.

oh yeah i met another friend ha yeah right.  :scared:  

after meating mr spidder i heard a noise to find bobby and bob comming to see if i had seen anything. i think we had enough of waiting around so we all went to rons for lunch.

after lunch the only game we shot was these buggers.

a most enjoyable day had by all. more to come later.

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
a few more pics...

Adam Brown launches arrow off Rough Mountain after the 2 mile hike to the top.

another pic of "Rob's Roost"

and this one was taken up on top of Rough Mountain. it took Adam and I a little over 2 hours to get to the top. it's a hike and mostly straight up.

>~Rob~>

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
it sure was a real nice spot rob hey again thanks for putting it on.  :thumbsup:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Jeff best you plan on a return.  you can leave Ralph at home next time if you want.  just bring plenty arras.
>~Rob~>

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
RALPH AINT GOING OUT WITH ME ANY MORE. he makes to much noise scare all the animals away not good.  :biglaugh:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »
Dang Rob,I'm going to have to hound dog you around for a few days next year. I mostly just hunted the creek bottem.   :campfire:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »
Great pics guys!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
Rob I think has truely found his calling. He has a really great eye fur picture taking.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2007, 06:26:00 AM »
Great Pics Rob!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Tommy next year we will have all the scouting done, stands hung and we will be there for the entire week.  

the dates for the 2nd Annual "Rough Mountain Rendezvous" are set for next year.  October 18th through October 26th.    

make sure and mark you calendars now and don't forget to get the time off.
>~Rob~>

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I'll throw my two cents in now.  I got to camp late, 10PM and was worried I'd disturb the slumbering hunters, weary from a couple of early mornings and hard hunting in rough terrain.  I needn't have worried.  Everyone was either around the fire or in one of the mess tents eating, drinking, and talking.  I greeted those I knew and was introduced to those I didn't.  Jeff was on the phone with Vance or Gary, I don't know which and was in obvious good spirits.  I set up my tent and stowed my gear and joined the crew at the fire.  After a while of easy conversation and reviewing the area map with Rob I turned in for the night.  Sleep came slowly for me and I was still awake after midnight and heard the coyotes howling in the distant night.

I woke up at 4:30 and made a breakfast on my camp stove and talked some with Jeff, who was up for his own reasons.  :)  I had chosen to climb a ridge behind the camp and try and find one of the saddles on it that looked promising.  The ridge had been control burned a few years previously and the ground was bare, few leaves and acorns and even fewer understory plants.  On one long flat spot I found a stand of young sassafras trees and decided to set up in them.  I watched the woods come alive with the morning sun.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
The gray squirrels were active with the first hint of light.  Like VA Bowbender said, it's hard switching arrows out and getting a shot off.  By the time I had the arrow swapped the squirrel would be out of range.  I decided I needed to concentrate on deer, of which I wasn't seeing any.  I could hear cars pass on the gravel road below and wondered if one of them might be Killdeer, who was rumoured to be making an appearance that morning.  I figured it was too early for her to be getting here just yet.  

I had made a torges tree seat for this hunt as I was having mixed results with my three-legged stool.  I was pleased with how it performed, although my poly rope had too much give in it, so it needed some adjustment.  I was wearing my new ghillie and although I liked how it blended in, the squirrels didn't seem fooled by it.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
It was about this time my "freshly charged" batteries decided to lie down and die.  I had spares but didn't know if they were any better off so I thought I'd start using battery power sparingly.  I needed to be able to take shots of the big buck I was going to kill.  ;)  

After awhile I figured the deer had bedded down and I started to stalk along the ridgetop with the wind blowing across my shoulder.  I found some old bear scat among blueberry bushes and plenty of deer sign and some great benches on the east side of the ridge.  I eventually dropped off the ridge onto one of these benches and went into the wind.  I dropped (actually skied would be a better description) down the side of the mountain to the road and creek below.  I stalked along in the creek for a while and went into the woods on the other side of the creek.  There were more acorns here and I found a big rub with some other rubs nearby on the edge of a mountain laurel thicket.  I'd set up here for the evening.  
   I walked back to camp and one of the cars I had heard had indeed been Killdeer.  She had sacrificed a mornings sleep to join us.  The camp had shrunk some by those who had left early.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©