3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to make the Muzzy Shoot targets???  (Read 271 times)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
How to make the Muzzy Shoot targets???
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I am setting up a 3D course at the rod and gun club I belong to and want to augment it with the foam block targets, sometimes called knock-a-block targets, that are used at the Muzzy Shoot.

Can anyone tell me how to make them and where I might get the materials? From the pictures it looks like a square foam block sitting on, or attached to, a wooden stake. But I have heard  that they are on hinges, or velcro'ed in place. So, how are they actually made?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Schwartz
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to make the Muzzy Shoot targets???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
They are velcro'ed on top of a 4x4 post.  The top of the post is cut about 2x2 to allow a backing for the block.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
The best foam you can get would be  "6 lb. Density Polyethylene" from The Foam Factory @ 586-627-3626...

Ask for 2" x 23" x 24" sheets, and cut to size yourself.

Have Fun!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by southpawshooter:
They are velcro'ed on top of a 4x4 post.  The top of the post is cut about 2x2 to allow a backing for the block.
Southpawshooter,

Are you saying that the top of the post has a "tab" that is 2" tall x 2" deep by 4" wide that sets behind the foam block?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Some of the most challenging targets I have ever shot. The way they are set up at the Muzzy there are very few "clear" shots.....and the ones that are...30+ yards and up hill or down hill. Great fun......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Ron,

That is why I want to include them, add a little challenge as well as some fun to the typical 3D course.  They are also much cheaper than a 3D animal target.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm interested too, but I have never been to a Muzzy Shoot. Is it too much to ask for one of you to make a drawing of how this target is made and how it is attached?
Thanks for your info and your time.
If it's not possible to explain or draw out...can you tell me where to go to a Muzzy Shoot?
I live in WI.
Irv Eichorst

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Not positive....but they are about 4"X 4" and 3" thick for targets 10-22 yards. Then 8"X 8" and 3" thick for targets 22-40 yards. I'm sure some veteran Muzzy guys can correct me if I'm way off. But I think I'm close. Velcro [fuzzy] on the foam and the hook on the wooded stake. Then they are always nice enough to have a nice back stop .....like a stone wall....LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I forgot.....they always have a black dot in the center of the face.....maybe 2" in Diameter. Makes it easy to pick a spot!

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
ron w,

Any information on how they make the stakes? Was there a piece that stuck up that helped keep the block on the stake?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Larry, Check this thread out...some decent pix of the targets.
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=092068;p=9  

The 4x4's, on top, are cut so there is a lip left to the front of the stake to protect the velcro that is glued and stapled down on it.

There are also 1/2" thick pieces of rubber nailed to the front of the stake flush with the top lip to protect the 4x4 a bit and also help with arrows surviving.

The small blocks are 5x5"(just measured the one I saved when I won in '06) , the big blocks are about 8x10"(don't have one to meas.)....the velcro is also glued and stapled to the bottom of the blocks.

Hope this helps some....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
I was close.....LOL!

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
How many shots to the blocks take before pass threw happens
Cheers jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
A friend and I have been tossing around the idea of doing one of these out here. Thanks for the info!! What kind of tips do you use? And what happens when someone in the group knocks the target off? Do you reset it for the rest in the group or shoot it where it lies  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
steadman,

they are designed to ONLY be shot with judos or blunts so that the arrow doesn't penetrate the target but knocks if off the stake.

at the Muzzy Shoot,in upstate NY, they run it as a two person competition; for example, you and I shoot as a pair, I take the first shot and if I hit it we move on to the next shot where you take the first shot, and we alternate taking the first shot.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Larry, the arrows do penetate them, sometimes blow all the way thru and most times stick into the block. Curt has it right, the 4x4 is installed into the ground and a lip is created in the top, there is also a 1/2" thick piece of rubber mounted to front of the 4x4 to make the wood last longer. I have actually seen small trees cut say 4-6"s diameter and left about 12-15" tall and than a piece of velcro mounted to the top and a block stuck on that, saves having to install the 4x4's in the ground and small dead hardwood trees or stumps work great! Shawn
Shawn

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I made up a set of Muzzy targets for our traditional club.  It is a blast to shoot! I caught the cheap 24" square broadhead targets on sale at Walmart for about $15.00 each. I think these were made by Blue Ridge and they are about 2" thick.  I used my band saw and cut them into 6" X 6" squares.  I took 2" x 2" stakes and cut them 18" long and sharpened the bottom.  Set up is easy. I just drive the 2 by's into the ground and then hammer a 8 penny finishing nail partially into the top of the stake.  Then I just take a piece of the foam and stick it down on the head of the nail and they stay in place.  If the guys shoot them with field points or steel blunts, the squares will take years of shooting. Judo and even the fat rubber blunts end up blowing peices out of the foam. I think I ended up setting up a course with about 24 targets for less than $50.00.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by flyne:
How many shots to the blocks take before pass threw happens
Cheers jim
Jim, you have to work on hitting them first.  Since they get knocked off, they can handle a lot of hits.  The nice thing is, they are very replaceable.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Thanks!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©