3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes a bow accurate?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes a bow accurate?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Well, every thing that everyone said above, but I notice when I shoot a bow extremely well versus any other, it's because I can pick up my site window more easily and consistently. In other words, it fits one better and then one can just have better line up according to their form
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Unless it's a bad fit from the start, almost all bows are very accurate for the first two weeks you own them. I think it has to do with the shooter's heightened level of concentration.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
the mass weight of a recurve seems to help me as well as the recurve grip.. I REALLY want to shoot my longbow as well or better than a recurve but in alot of years i just cant make that happen,the recurve always wins out..I have found a recurve grip that works and have stuck with that. So I guess for me its a combination of the right bow weight, mass weight and grip... but we all are diffrent
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
It is the nature of the beast, as humans, that we debate, quibble and expend much energy over a possible 1 to 2 % edge; when in fact, over 90% of what is actually available to improve upon lies quietly -patiently waiting for many of us to address our own shooting inadequacies.

The personal grip requirement is paramount and not far beyond that, much of what improves accuracy may never be accurately ascertained due to our own less than optimum shot execution.
I agree with pretty much everyone who chimed in. However I really liked this answer.

I would say this. (I'm long winded)   :p  
If we took 100 bows. From 100 different bow makers they would all say. That thier bow is perfectly accurate.  And I bet if we hooked those bows up to a shooting machine. Where there is a perfect form and release set up with the perfect match arrow they would all shoot relatively the same. Or with the same accuracy.
When the bow is left up to human error. That's when things lose consistency and in this case accuracy. The only thing we can do therefore is find the bow or grip that suits our style and comfort.  This takes MUCH trial and error.  Meaning you need to run through a certain number of bow styles to really find what works.   Now this is the biggest lesson I've learned and expensive.
It's not always the bow we like aesthetically that works the best for us. For example. I love "D" shaped long bows and self bows. But I can't shoot them to save my life. But I can shoot a modern high grip RD long bow and recurve just fine. And not necessarily like the way they look. Funny.
ALL said. I firmly believe that accuracy is super dependent on the arrow chosen.  If its not perfectly matched. You'll be wasting much time chasing it. And sacrificing form to put the arrow where it wants to go. Instead of where you intend it to go.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
The archer makes the bow accurate, some bows just fit better for some people.
This^^^^

Bisch [/b]
I also think this.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roverrich:
. . . what makes one bow more accurate than another?
What makes one pair of boots feel better than another?

What makes one fishing pole catch more fish than another?  

What makes one girl a better kisser than another?

Fit, practice and your own preconceived expectations.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I don't know,but do know you don't bet aganist the the guy who owns only ONE bow with pretty arrows.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
The archer makes the bow accurate. He is responsible for whether or not the arrow hits it's mark.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys, clearly the consensus is the archer is what makes a "bow" more accurate, but is sure is fun to try different bows!!! I think I'm narrowing things down and hopefully my lovely wife will continue to tolerate my pleasure spending until I can settle on one or two bows. Cheers

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Good archers can pick up any style of bow and shoot it consistently, right off the bat.  I think it is because they put all their concentration into the shot sequence.  They focus on the target and their form not how the grip feels, finger pinch, stack, bow length, etc.

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
HUNGER.  Think about that one for a while.

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
HUNGER.  Think about that one for a while.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
when you have a properly tuned bow that cost 100.
an a properly tuned bow that cost 1000. they can both do the same.one may be faster but if you spent a year with both you could achive the same things with them.I think it really comes down to the mind set an skill of the shooter.tradshooting is a mind set that is why some days we shoot good an some days we shoot bad its all in how you feel on any given day.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
Some will always say it's the archer that determines accuracy. But give a good archer a lightweight self bow and a big metal riser recurve and I will bet he will be a lot more accurate with the recurve. It's to do with forgiveness of a bow to the users errors.

A forgiving bow is one that is easy to draw and hold at anchor yet generate good level of performance, doesn't pinch the fingers, easy to hold on target, doesn't jump or jerk upon release, resists users bow arm twitches and torques. A bow with fast efficient limbs and big heavy riser comes to mind. But take the concept to the extreme and what you get is a compound bow.
Instinctive gapper.

Online Ajooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
Have to agree with the majority.  Its the indian not the arrow.  There are some high performance bows out there today, but it still requires an individual to make them perform.  More practice = better accuracy too!    :archer2:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
It is what fits you better.  The grip is paramount, and finding one that suits you will go a long way toward improving your accuracy.  Another major factor is having arrows that are tuned to the bow.  Find a bow that fits your personal style, and match arrows to it, and just about any bow is capable of being supremely accurate.
+1 on this one

I for one do not think I will ever buy a bow that I have not shot first.  The more  bows that I shoot the more I realize how personalized a bow can be.  I still shoot my old Bear Kodiak the best.
T ZZZZ

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Holm-Made:
Good archers can pick up any style of bow and shoot it consistently, right off the bat.  I think it is because they put all their concentration into the shot sequence.  They focus on the target and their form not how the grip feels, finger pinch, stack, bow length, etc.
+1 to that.

Definitely archer/arrows prime.  Bow second, but certainly not all bows are created equal.  Grip, limb design, all factors.  There are ugly bows that are shooters and ugly bows that are well, crap...and pretty bows that are just pretty hunks of wood, and also pretty bows that are shooters because of good engineering.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I once had two seemingly identical longbows I built, though one shot where I was looking and one did not. I looked the shelves over carefully and noticed one shelf and grip relationship allowed the arrow to lie close along side my  bowhand index finger when I extended my finger thus shooting where i was looking/pointing by giving me a straight line sight picture. Since then I've tweaked my shelves taking them in or using shelf material to move them out slightly to shoot where I'm looking. Seemed like half the battle was won. Another reason to shoot before buying or have the bowyer help you custom allign, or tweaking yourself.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
The bow doesn't change from shot to shot.  The archer is the only variable.  All bows are equally accurate; they all shoot exactly where you tell them to.  The grip/fit may effect the archer, but a miss is a miss by the archer, not the bow.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
in archery tackle terms, the arrow is far more important than the bow.    :readit:  

after acquiring matched and consistent arrows that fly reasonably well out of a bow, the rest is up to the archer & form.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©