3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes a bow accurate?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes a bow accurate?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
One thing I've not seen mentioned is shot to shot consistency.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by BDann:
The one using it! [/QUOTE

the bottom line is what this man said! everything else like smoothness or shock, or grip, or design means absolutely nothing in how accurate a bow is, if anything the bow's weight can effect the accuracy which can be unique to each individual..

I know some good shots and pretty much every single one of them is a good shot with any style bow its just plain ole common sense,, once they get the hang of that style bow the accuracy comes soon after.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
There is accuracy and then there is accuracy. Its a matter of who and how we define that as to whether or not this post is relevant.

The best shooters in the world have their favorite bows or bow for a reason. Sure they can usually pick of any bow and after a couple of shots shoot very well with it unless its a real lemon. However put a bow in their hand that is tuned, tillered , balanced and fits their hand with the right arrows and magic seems to happen.Groups shrink very noticibly with the right equipment.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline siwash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
If I want my bow to shoot more accurately, I let Steve Gorr shoot it.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
[/QB][/QUOTE]
This got me to thinking (scary), what makes one bow more accurate than another? I can pick up one bow and be much more consistent and accurate than another one of similar style but from a different bowyer. Is the accuracy something intrinsic to the bow or more to me and what fits me better? Inquiring minds would like your collective opinions. Thanks. [/QB][/QUOTE]

In my opinon its all about the archer. There are 3 things that a shooter has to have/do to shoot well. Consistancy, focus and practice

A well tuned arrow will help but I feel that with the mentioned 3 a shooter can overcome any inadequeacies. Some bows just naturally fit better than others making it a little easier to shoot well.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
well matched equipment and repeatability

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
This question is similar to asking which rifle is the most accurate or which car drives the best.  I think it is more than just the person shooting the bow and more than just the arrows.  It's a system or a combination of things starting with bow design and construction, how it fits the hand and style of the shooter.  The right string must be used.  Arrows much be matched to the bow. Then the ability and form of the archer come into play.  If any one of these are off, accuracy suffers.

While most all bows are "accurate", some bows do fit the hand or style better than others and are easier to shoot well. So they feel more comfortable without having to make adjustments.

To some degree it's more a question of what is acceptable accuracy.  Not many of us are as good at accuracy as a good matched system of bows, arrows, strings, etc. is capable of.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Phil X2

God bless, Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
A buddy of mine has a couple of Olympic archery medals; Sidney and Atlanta.

I heard him tell a class we were teaching that he didn't care how well his arrows flew as long as they grouped well.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Question of the thread: What makes a bow accurate?
Answer. perfect timing, great stability verticaly and horizontaly, and a bowyer that knows how to do these things. Add a great fit to the hand and style of the shooter, good fletch clearance and you will have an accurate bow.

This leaves the most important factor if you have arrows that are a perfect match for this great bow.

The shooter , this is a different topic though and thoroughly worthy of discussion.

All bows are not equal even when built by the same builder. Some bows are better bows. Period.
God bless you, Steve
x2, thanks for answering the question Steve, ie what makes a BOW more accurate.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Follow through

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
I know there is alot of different things that attribute to accuracy, like well tuned bow, grip and poundage. So for me I'm going to breakdown what works for me in accuracy w a trad bow.

1. Set hand. Grip is so important as what i call my pressure point, its a line that goes down the apex of thumb and forefinger. If you look... the arrows sets right above the apex, so pushing foward at this point helps align the arrow towards the intended target.

2. Pick spot. Once bow hand is set the raising of bow arm until in alignment w target.

3. Draw while still focused on target, but my conscious effort is thinking solid anchor.

4. Once SOLID anchor is achieved it goes to spot, and the most important key for me a slight hold. This forces the bow arm to set while the apex of bow hand is still pushing.

5. Now the release, the back muscle is pulling as i were going to pull the bow in half. Then the relaxing of the string hand concentrating on hand staying on face with a slight slide back. This keeps the energy in a straight line where as plucking the release can cause side to side energy pushing the bow arm to the side. Remember the bow arm is our guide, no matter where you look the arrow goes where the arm goes.

The final the follow through bow arm staying towards the target till arrow connects...nothing more beautiful than a perfect excuted arrow.

In conclusion it so important that i practice this technique shot to shot because when it comes down to that pressure one shot on an animal muscle memory is what the mind relies to achieve the task. Holding the shot for that instance longer helps me to control the bow and the shot instead af the bow and shot controlling me. When i been off a while and start practicing again i do not worry about accuracy...this is erased from my mind period! The fear of missing can cause some serious issues that i want to nip in the butt right away, but a controlled form is more important.

Also remember...Practice don't make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect.

Have a Bless day
Hang'em Low
George
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
My KISS (keep it simple stupid) method:

Archer's form. (perfect practice and repeatability)
Fit of the bow to the archer. (the right bow for you)
Proper tune and bow/arrow set up. (tuning counts for a lot)
In that order.
My 2 cents worth.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
We are going to do a short filming segment on shooting from different angles, to help give a visual on the importance of form.
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©