3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long Range Shooting  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Medina1

• Trad Bowhunter
Long Range Shooting
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
Who has some tips to help with long range shooting? I realize that people's ideas of long range may differ from person to person but for me anything 40 yards and out is long range. Now I don't plan on shooting at game at that range but shooting at longer ranges makes short range shots seem much easier. How many of you guys shoot long range on a regular basis? Do you guys have any tips that would help a rookie out? Thanks!

Caleb
Semper Fi
USMC 2013-present

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Range Shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
I wouldn't say I do it on a regular basis, but when I'm in the woods and stump shooting or want to fling an arrow or two on my way back from a hunt I like to stretch my comfort zone and will let a few fly. I shoot instinctive style so I shoot with the same thought process at 70 yards at a stump as I do @ 20 yards. Just like anything a little practice goes a long ways.

The only tip I can think of is to take the shot just as serious as a hunting shot and go through the same motions.

Are you shooting instinctive or another style?
Levi Bedortha

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:00 AM »
A friend of mine who shoots wheelies was trying to show me up one day in the mountains. We were shooting at a Copenhagen can. Then last shot was from ninety yards according to his ray beams indications. I don't know how but I was the winner. We were both shooting a group about the size of a soccer ball. I had to aim through my bow if you know what that means.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »
I shoot from 5-50 yds every time i shoot . The long shot are tough because form flaws are amplified. I think its good practice and it makes the closer shots seem easier to me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »
I have to say the best way for me is identifying you point on distance and go from the. Draw your bow put the point of your arrow on target shoot go two yards back and repeat until your point is inline with your dominant eye.
Eye arrow point target inline. For my bow its 47 yards. I shoot a tip recurve 55lb. Just have fun, you will spend time looking for arrows.   :archer2:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Online Ajooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
I am similar to trad archer.  I find my point on which is now 34 yards.  From there I find my relative gaps at each consecutive 5 yards increments.  I have trouble shooting through my bow so I find something above and possibly right or left  of the target depending on the wind to aim at and use the tip of the arrow.  You can really extend your shooting range by going out and practicing the longer shots besides just improving on your form.  There is no substitute for practice with a traditional bow.    :thumbsup:  Good luck and have fun.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Some really good points here and I tend to do the same when stump shooting/ roving. I find the long shots are good at pointing out bad form etc...and makes the ten yard shots a push over.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
My little backyard range has a bag target at 45 yards and another in my woods range is at about 75 yards. I make them a part of the rotation because as stated above the closer ranges "seem" easier(my shooting hasn't totally borne that out...). Also you get to watch the arrow for a bit longer.
Although I wouldn't think of those ranges as a first shot, it would be good to be ready in case a second finisher presented itself.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Gapping and holding over the target makes it a little easier. If you are just casually shooting you can drop your anchor to increase the point on. I drop mine twice and the last is under the chin. I use this one shooting clout. In NFAA field competition you can't change your anchor so I'm working on those gaps and they are serious out to 80 yards with my hunting anchor.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I'm focusing my practice sessions at 35 and 40 yards this season. Just to make the 20 yard shot more solid.  After a few sessions it is remarkable (although not surprising) how much more confidence I have in the hunting distance shots.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I often practice at 70-80+ just to watch the arrow fly. Again I am not competive at those ranges but I can get close. You are right it can make the close seem much easier.

My advice is the same for 10 yards as for 60 make the same shot. Hold your form and make the shot right.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
At times I will go out to my point on range and let a few arrows fly. Mostly though my max practice distance as about 35 to 40 yards. The problem is that when I move back to 15 to 18 yards, I usually start splitting arrows.    :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
You learn long range shooting by doing it. Its for me more fun shooting longer ranges just to watch the arrows fly. One thing to remember is its harder to pick a small spot at long range , but its still as important if not more so as picking a spot at shorter ranges..
Gary

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I think everyone should practice it if they have room.  In my state, you cannot legally cross a property line after a wounded animal.  Sometimes being able to connect on a 40 yard shot can stop you from having to break the law.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
how does being able to shoot 40 yards keep you from having to cross a property line after a wounded animal and breaking the law????  That is no determination on how far the animal may go after the hit...unless you can spine shoot one every time on demand I dont see your logic.

Plus, you can go onto neighboring property...you just have to get permission first.

Integrity keeps you from breaking the law...not shooting 40 yards.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
It's mostly 20 or less for me, but I just can't resist a long shot once in while just to see the arrow fly.  Like others said, if your form is off you'll know pretty quick.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
When I first started shooting long distances, or if I get a new bow, I find the point on of the particular bow.  Once you find that a lot of things fall into place with your distance shooting.  Plus, as your brain starts figuring out the trajectory the longer shots will become almost second nature with your setup.  

Also, as others have said, the shot does not change no matter the distance.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline LocDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I do a lot of long range shooting. For fun, practice, and even tuning. This is how I do it:
For long range practice of 60 + yards I use a yellow tennis ball. For closer practice I switch to yellow Ping-Pong balls. When tuning,once I get good arrow flight, I tune broadheads by shooting at a vertical line, normally a dowel rod stuck in the ground at 50 or 60 yards. I shoot wood and if I can hit or come close at that range, I know that's a good arrow.
'Aim small. Miss small.'

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
What does crossing a property line have to do with shooting a target at long range?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Skinner:
I think everyone should practice it if they have room.  In my state, you cannot legally cross a property line after a wounded animal.  Sometimes being able to connect on a 40 yard shot can stop you from having to break the law.
I have to admit, you lost me too on that one!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©