3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long Range Shooting  (Read 1436 times)

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Range Shooting
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
I think what bill is referring to is knowing how to shoot long range for a follow up shot, ie. you get a second shot at a wounded animal.

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by LocDoc:
For long range practice of 60 + yards I use a yellow tennis ball. For closer practice I switch to yellow Ping-Pong balls.
Damn! I'm impressed!
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't usually shoot much past 35yards. Thats about point on for my current setup.

I do really liek that it gives me plenty of time to see the arrow flight. Helps with tuning etc.

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
I love this post. I like to see guys throwing those arrows out there. You know the love of the game. I once was stumping with my son Zach, for the fun of it Zach wanted to keep score. Zachary was about 7 or 8 at the time he was shooting a long bow as long as he was. Anyway as fate would have it Zach was winning all day I just couldn't catch up to him   :banghead:    :archer2:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Every time when I train I shoot between the 15 and 60 yards. I learned that shooting at long ranges improves my accuracy at shorter distances.
I do so at my archery range where you can practice that in a safe way.
We shoot at balloons, that's more fun. There is no substitute for the sound of a popping balloon shot at 60 yards!

But sometimes I train on 3d animals. Here under you find some pics my pupil made when I demonstrated how to shoot at 60 yards. Unbelievable enough I shot that vulture dead-center in the inner kill with my 1st arra (the vulture is the one with the beak...)! Bow is a 45 lbs Cari-bow Peregrine, a 6-strands SBD string and 10 GPP home-made Sitka Spruce arrows, 9.5% FOC.

Enjoy!

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Nice shooting Mr. Dutchman.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
I don't shoot past 35yds or so these days, but back when Field Rounds were popular..out to 80yds., I shot regular in 3 states and practiced at the range regular.

I shot Hunter Class..over 40lbs I think it was. No sights, stabilizers, etc. I used the point on system from my point on and would use the tip of my field point as a front sight to aim from point on and past.  

Anything under point on I would shoot just as I hunted. Aiming by looking where I wanted to hit and seeing my arrow in peripheral vision adjusting up and down as needed.

Shooting Field Rounds regularly made hunting distances seem really close. Although, I do remember we call the 30yd shot.."The dirty 30". It looked pretty close but could be tricky.

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I wonder how the English longbowmen did it back in the day, I bet they took some long shots out of those castles.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
Ad, your posts always inspire me though I can only dream of getting that good. Are you shooting instinctive or gap or both? What does your typical group look like at 33 yards? At that distance, I am happy if i can get my arrows within the blue on an 80cm Fita target. Noticed you need to aim quite high on the third image. What distance was that?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 04:24:00 AM »
Hi Jimmy that was something like 55 to 60 yards, I never measure it exactly. But it was defenitely above the 50, because there is a mark at that distance. I added another pic from me walking towards the target after the shot,maybe that gives a better idea of the distance.  

When I shoot like that my style developes itself. When it has been some while, it is more like gap. So I look at the point of my arrow and "put" that on the place I want it to be; a little bit above the target in this case. You see that happen between pic 2 and three indeed! After a few shots I move automatically over to split vision, so 90% focus on the target and maybe 10% on the point of my arrow. This happens naturally. When I train more often and feel secure on long ranges, it moves over to completley instinctive, so I don't see my arrow anymore (but I feel/know where it is) and focus on the target only.
Again, that all happens naturally from my unconscious. I just let it happen and don't think too much about that. I think that's the way it should be.
The aiming looks quite high indeed. I was surprised too when I saw the pics. I am not sure however if this was the position just before the release or I was still searching for the right hight. But keep in mind that it is 55 to 60 yrds (that is FAR!!!) and I am shooting 10 GPP woodies here. I am in the process of moving over to carbons, which will give me 9 GPP or even as low as 8.6.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 04:53:00 AM »
That definitely look around 55 - 60m. I would lucky to hit the board itself!
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 05:25:00 AM »
Jimmy, when I think it over, it was 60 meters, or 66 yards. The board itself is on 50 meter and the vulture is standing further. But I also can remember now it was on 60 meters. My pupil challenged me to shoot on 60 meters,she won't do that again I think!  :)   Darned, I was proud on that shot!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©