3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
OK so i keep reading about static recurves and that they are fast and quiet compared to standard recurves.  I have been trading and selling my curves and getting more LB's since i was struggling to get my recurves as quiet as i would have liked them.  My LB's are very quiet and most are pretty fast. BUT since i just need to keep playing and testing new bows ..... statics are making me want to try a recurve again.

I had a couple  Kwyk Styk's and i could not get them quiet.  Some people say Jack's bows are one of the best statics so that is why i tried them a while ago.  maybe they came with wrong string, i was not smart enough to set them up correctly or my threshold for quiet is not the same as others.

Soooo i am curious who makes a truly quiet static recurve and do they compare to a LB when you say they are quiet?

In talking to a couple Bowyers i will be trying one of steve's Eagle Wings, but just curious what is out there and what thoughts you have.

mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Mike,

Come to ETAR this year and shoot our Epic static recurve limbs.  I think you'll change your mind about quiet curves.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Jack's Bows are Extremely quiet, and that includes his full working recurves!!!???  I just string them up ,set brace height to 71/4" install nock set at 1/2' and shoot. I do not think another bow brand will solve your problem. IMHO.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
I love how quiet my Morrison  Max I's are.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
I have a Zipper ILF with Dryad Static recurve limbs, yarn wrap on the ends of the string and wool puffs.... like a whisper!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Remember the Ballistik recurve 10 plus years ago. Very fast and very quiet.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
I have a severe hearing loss and a bow has to be pretty noisy before I would call it loud. However, I was shooting a new RER Retro static tip that had minimal rubber whiskers on it from the bowyer. A shooter next to me commented "Wow, that bow is really quiet". I have several bows which I can hear, but I can not hear any difference between my Retro and a 66" "D" type Border longbow. All I hear is the string "swishing". Just my experience for what it's worth.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
The 3-4 statics that I have had have all been quieter than a full working limb recurve. I think a good static is the best of both worlds, draws smooth and quiet like a Longbow and shoots fast and hard like a recurve. but that is just my opinion.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Roman is in the early stages of designing and building static recurve limbs for the Bobcat. Hope to have a couple sets finished for ETAR.

Wouldn't that be cool for your Dalmation Bobcat???!!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have never had the pleasure of seeing a Kwik Stik but any Soverign type bow I have had or heard are quick and quiet. I think you will be happy with your choice. Enjoy! Send pictures.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Recurve sound different.
Perhaps that is what your are interpreting as loud.

Have a buddy shoot your set up while your standing nearby, see what ya think then.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
My Stalker static is quiet. As I said before I shot longbows for a dozen years and would dabble with recurves but could never get them whisper quiet so would quit shooting them. But this recurve with one of my 12 strand strings is quiet. Especially with wood arrows!  As quiet as my d shaped longbows no, but quiet enough that I enjoy shooting it. YMMV
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I have traded alot of recurves recently because I could not get them as quiet as my longbow. I picked up a used rer static tip on the classifieds and finally found a recurve I will keep. It is very quiet, longbow quiet.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
My RER was quieter than any of my working recurves but not as quiet as my longbows.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
RERBows there statics are very quiet and Abe Penner has a new static that is awesome! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
My Fox Breed with a set of cat whiskers is dead quiet. Quieter than any longbow I have shot. It is also very fast. I have never been hung up on speed, but it is addictive.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
interesting - keep the comments coming.  Sounds like it is possible but are they sensitive to using the right string or heavy arrows?  My good LB's are even quiet at 9 gpp (habu, EW and Hill country).

yes roman that would be cool - not a big fan of multiple sets of limbs, but might we selling one of my bows for a good static.....
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Like I mentioned mike, I have mine quiet enough that I enjoy shooting it. With carbon or wood that are 10 grain per pound so not overly heavy. The string did make a difference, but I think that can be said on almost any bow. If you'd like to hear what some of the fuss is about get ahold of South and do his test drive program. You can hear for yourself  :)
But again my d longbows are quieter  ;)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
The Toelke Chinook does not know it is a recurve  :)

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
My Maddog Retro Recurve is static and that bow is unbelievably Quiet!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©