3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline bradglaza

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I have an Eaglewing Talon II, which is a static tip, and it's incredibly quiet. My friends at the range were amazed by it. I can't say enough good things about Steve's bows.

Same goes for Kevin TerMaak's RERs. My friend has two RER static tips (an XR and a set of custom limbs for his Type A magnesium riser), and they're awesome. The custom limbs are 51@28", and they shoot a Beman MFX 400 at 197fps. That's with a 50-grain insert and a 125-grain tip.

So to answer your question, yes, I do think a static tip can make a bow quieter and a bit faster.
Hummingbird Kingfisher 20th Anniversary Longbow
Hummingbird Bowie Longbow
Timberhawk Falcon Longbow
Brooks Hunter Recurve
Black Widow PSR

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Mike,
My new Stalker Static is extreme quiet with woodys. I was totally impressed with the feel of the static. It is not as quiet as my Pronghorn longbow, but close and noticeably quiter than my Silvertip. I know you wouldn't be disappointed with a Stalker.
Brent

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Sounds like I am on the right track - stalker, EW, and RER. Curious if anyone has shot all three and which is quieter / faster ????

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
+1 on Chinook. Only sound is from the feathers going across the rest.
Colburn

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
once you shoot an RER STATIC TIP you will truly like the quiet sound but the really great surprize is the smooth draw it gives.its then the best for shooting a bow that every shooter longs for.
see

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
I have both an RER XR with static tips and a Dryad Orion with static tips. Both are longbow quiet with just cat whiskers. I would not go back to working limb recurves. I think the static tips eliminate string slap. I also think they reduce finger pinch. I get zero pinch with my 56" Orion in a very compact package.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
A lot has to do with the string with recurves in general as far as noise is concerned IMO.  I recently shot a "Skinny" string (10 strand Ultracam, with loops padded to 16) on a SA from the mid '90s.  Easily the quietest Widow I've ever shot...  Made a "Skinny" string of my own for my Kwyk Styk with Statics, and it is now longbow quiet also...  Well "Hybrid" longbow quiet... Not many bows are as quiet as a "D" limb longbow or a selfbow for that matter...  Plus, if you haven't tried Bowhush, give that a try too... It helps also!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
My RER Arroyo was very quiet when I recieved it in a trade but as all my recurves I like to make my own strings,puffs and wrap the wool yarn down from the string loops a few inch's just to be 100%sure...I also had found that by making two tie on nocks (cause I shoot split fingers) has helped just by keeping the arrow nock from sliding down upon release and of coarse the correct arrow....I probally didn't need the wool around the loops but didn't go as far down due to the static not letting the string touch the limb as much on a release but there was a difference in sting noise reduction and I haven't noticed any sort of rolling affect to the side from the wraps keeping the string from lining up center of the grooves cause I didn't build up the wrap heavy...That new bow Shawn is talking about is going to be nice and I cann't wait to hear how it sounds with static...Keep us imformed Shawn...

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
The quietest bow  BY FAR  I own  or have  ever owned is MY LEON STEWART Slammer .  It is not   ( of course ) a recurve .  I DO own  numerous recurves as does my son . MY son has most of the better Static limb  recurves  , Qyk Styk , RER  Eagle wing etc .  I shoot next to him often and the Static limbs      I M H O   do shoot quieter WHEN TUNED CORRECTLY  then working limb recurves . We did have some trouble tuning out noise on a couple when first they were acquired.   EXPERIMENT !!!!!
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Forgot to mention . I have ( along with my Son ) done a lot of research and shooting of Static limb  recurve's in the last 3 years .  I am usually a died-in-the-wool LONG bow guy , but do appreciate recurves  AND  am seriously thinking of having one made for me. IF SO, it WILL BE  a Static limb and it WILL come from either EAGLE WING OR   BIG FOOT .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Mike

It sounds like you are a little more discerning and or have a little lower noise threshold.  I've gotten my RER very quiet and I deem it perfertly acceptable for hunting.  i would say it is very quiet, a subjective description at best. Beyond tuning silencer position having a heavy arrow will work wonders for most any bow, like 13gpp.  I find the arrow is more spooking than the bow when it comes to game.  Fletching noise is a real issue don't ignore it.  That being said I had a dwyer dauntless that was like a mouse fart and I don't think any recurve will ever come close to it.  You can get recurves quiet too.  I've gotten second shots with both.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
i do have a low threshold for noise - but there are bows out there that can do it.  I think i am going to have to find some of these to try....more bow testing - love it!!

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
There is a best of both worlds option from RER that gets missed sometimes. I have the LXR version of the takedown which includes both a set of static tip recurve limbs and a set of r/d longbow limbs. I do think the longbow limbs are a tad quieter; either set is plenty quiet for hunting.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I made the realization a few years back that the sound of a bow from behind it. Is a lot different than the sound in front of or to the side... Much less down range. So as someone else mentioned. Have another person shoot your bow and stand in those positions and listen from a different perspective.
My opinion on a quiet recurve. Is my static stalker. For sure. Really quiet.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey Mike,

If you are coming to the Baltimore Classic this year i'm going to have a couple of my new Sasquatch SS static tip bows there for folks to try out. These things are amazingly quiet, and pretty quick too.

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a RER Arroyo,and it is WAY quieter than my long-bow. I once bought a Recurve from Rob Lee at the Hill Country Shootout in Texas.I noticed the string loops were a slightly different color than the rest of the string and asked Rob about it.He said he soaked the loops in Lacquer thinner to take the wax out of them.It worked great and I do it to all of my curve strings.I shoot a 9 strand D-97 with 16 strand padded loops and it is supper quiet on my Static tip.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I think I will be there. Sent u a PM Kirk.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Keith Chastains wapiti very quiet and plenty fast.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Mike, still have that sweet 58" Kwyk Styk I picked up from you. Wool puffs with an eight strand SBD string and it's plenty silent. Been through a few Kwyk Styk's and more than a few RER's. Set up properly, at my 30" draw, a 60" RER XR is quieter than most longbows I've owned and shot. Hard to believe but it's true.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
I have the same quiet standards as Mike. I haven't shot a quiet takedown recurve.  All the tolkes I have shot have been the quietest in their class. Kestral, Chinook, Whip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©