3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static Limb Recurves Quiet - Really?
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
RB: have the same quiet standards as Mike. I haven't shot a quiet takedown recurve. All the tolkes I have shot have been the quietest in their class. Kestral, Chinook, Whip

If you ever shoot the SS or the RER or the EW or the Tuktu or any geometric Static Recurve that will change. They will just flat out amaze you for quietness and speed. I'm sending Mike one to try and even though at his 30 in draw and it being a 56 in bow and not the best example or what he would get with a 60 or 62 I am not really worried about noise. I shot it at 29 and very quiet there. with nothing on the string.

God bless, Steve

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
I just received my KS from Jack yesterday. After putting my bow hush silencers on it, it is super quiet. I like skinny strings on my bows but might just leave the one Jack sent with it because it is super quiet. No use messing with what works.
This is my 2nd KS and they both have been quiet.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Can't wait to try Steve's static!  I am sure that will have me ordering one.....

I am very impressed with all the reviews on here and sounds like I am missing out on statics. BTW-Steve tried to tell me that a little while ago BUT I didn't listen!

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
From the comments above it sounds like Static is not only quieter but also more performance/efficient. Any guesses on % added performance of statics over recurve tips?

Is this a free lunch with this design or are there other "Issues" [ie; Stability, etc]
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Here is my Morrison Phoenix with MAX 1 limbs and it is as quiet as my Toelke bows.

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I have had an Eagle Wing Talon II, a ILF Dryad set of static recurve limbs, a Kwyk Styk static, several RER XR's, and a Stalker static.  The only one I still have is one of the RER XR's as it is the quietest and it is the best shooting bow that I've owned. The Dryad limbs were screening fast and very quiet but sold them because they were to much poundage for me.  The Stalker Static was a beautiful bow that was very fast and quiet but I didn't like the grip.  The Eagle Wing was a very well made bow but I just didn't shoot it consistently.  With the Kwyk Styk I'll take the high road and just say I was happy to trade it away. I have had a lot of fun trying the different bows and finding what works for me.  I hope you have as much fun as I have in finding what works for you.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Its not a free lunch. Statics are prone to be hard to string compared to most working recurves. However with a little practice and a good block stringer that is not an insurmountable problem. Statics require greater torsional stability which can be tricky , especially in the lower weights.

The need is generated because the tip does not bend with the rest of the limb so it is critical to have great torsional stability . How this is achieved directly effects the efficiency and overall performance of the bow. It is why I personally prefer the static to be accomplished with very little additional weight if any. Geometry , hense my coining geometric static as a type, is the best way to accomplish this as it it not necessery to add any weight. No heavy overlays or wedges. The materials you use in the bow limb also have a lot to do with the static design working properly. length of working limb, height of recurve to notch,ect.

A good amount of help can be hade with 45 45 weave carbon or glass added to the stack to give torsional stability plus belly strength, however that is accomplished it contributes to the bows stability and performance.
A strong belly adds a lot to torsional stability.
Sooooooooooo, To answer , are they a free lunch? Not unless the bow is extremely well designed. Then I see absolutely no down side.
God bless, Steve

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »
I have had quite a few static recurves and I like em.I have 2 right now.Thier are many full working recurves that are very quiet as well IMO.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I just received my Stalker coyote fxt with static limbs last week and I have to say its fantastic and extremely quiet ! I'm planning on ordering another soon !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Stability, yep...well said Steve.

It gets interesting when you look at the top shooters at the IBO trad nationals and the top few shot this style of limb.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I I have a commanche static by Curtis byrd neat bow if you dont draw more than 28
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I I have a commanche static by Curtis byrd neat bow if you dont draw more than 28
Arrow_Flynn

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sharpend60:
Recurve sound different.
Perhaps that is what your are interpreting as loud.

Have a buddy shoot your set up while your standing nearby, see what ya think then.
^^^^^^^^ That's it for me! Longbows go "thud" and recurves go "twang". I don't know that my recurve is really all that much louder than my longbow, but I just can't stand that "twang"!

Bisch

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
yes sir my Kwyk Styks are quiet 8 strand 452x string with beaver fur of muskrat work well for me I like 7.5 brace ,, the bow will tell you which brace is best for Jacks bows ,, my 56"s a bit more Quiet than my 58" , we refer to Jacks strings as tow ropes ,,  however they are fairly Quiet   :biglaugh:
Gord

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
I have developed a new limb that will work great on both top mount or belly mount. It is designed specifically for the belly mount bow though and has wonderful stability with as good speed as the top mount static. I believe it to be a first of its kind. I just sent the first one off for a customer but have several more on order. I hunted with my test bow this season and just love it. Its as quiet or quieter than the Talon 11 and considerably faster. I will be introducing it with some pics soon. Its a bit modernistic looking due to what I had to do to get that stability in the belly mount limb but please forgive for that. I'[m more interested in performance and shootability than particular looks.

God bless, Steve Will try to get some pics up in the next couple of days.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
I have been shooting TallTines for the last few years, they are super quiet!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
I have had quite a few static tipped recurves and I like them.Right now I have an RER Arroyo and its a great bow and shoots quietly.

I have other recurve bows on the rack that are not static and they shoot very quiet.

I dont think just because its not a Static recurve it must be noisy.Depends on the bow and how its its set up as well.I have had had many full working recurves that are very quiet.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
I have a Javaman Assyrian that is a very quick bow with static limbs and just lets out a dull thump when shot. Perfectly quiet.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
steve - looking forward to the belly mount static pics........
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Though not a static, take a look at a Fox Breed. Hands down both the quietest and fastest bow I have ever shot. If I could have gotten used to the longbow like grip I would still be shooting one.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©