3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A tribute to Great Northern Bows 25th Year  (Read 408 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
A tribute to Great Northern Bows 25th Year
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
It is always interesting to watch the evolution of   bow design, at least it is interesting to me, which probably means that I have way too much time on my hands.          :)      

Bow designs are constantly evolving,with speed being of great interest, followed by smoothness of draw and stability. Then there is beauty, which is expressed in a finely shaped riser, multiple overlays and multiple exotic woods, and the overall beauty of the bow shape itself. The variety is endless, which is why so many of us find more bows on our wall and less funds in our bank accounts. The trade off is completely equitable.

While many bowyers look for ways to distinguish themselves with greater speed, radical limb designs and radial limb profiles, multiple overlays, the latest modern materials coupled with chronograph results, Great Northern seems to have stood still in the midst of the constant search for the next best bow. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Great Northern went into business in 1982. Jerry and Rick, the owners of GN, have had a good look at bow designs and bow trends over the last 25 years. They have tweaked their designs too, experimenting and challenging themselves. Sometimes they liked the resulting performance and sometimes the results were less than impressive. They were looking for one thing, at least in my estimation, they were looking for what works, and what works very well, and what will stand the test of time.

Consequently, the bows of GN are simple in appearance, but with an elegance that speaks about a refinement and evolutionary process that trims the unnecessary in order to reveal the essential. Their line of bows is made up of classic designs, brought to their ultimate conclusions. Smooth drawing, stable shooting beauties, with all the speed anyone could ever require, and bombproof construction. All that and they are still made one at a time by hand.

Thank you Jerry and Rick for twenty five years of excellent bows and great bow quivers and incredible service. Here's to another twenty five years!

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A tribute to Great Northern Bows 25th Year
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
I know what you're saying. After chasing down bows for about nine years, the GN's seem to be just right for my taste. They look like they belong in the woods. I always liked the motto they used to use, "the bowhunters bow".

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I agree. I have personaly helped to keep their existence. To say I have a bunch of Great Northern's would be an under statement. Jerry and Rick are personal friends and I will miss the the day when they decide to "retire".
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Interesting thread timing Bob. I had never seen, or shot a Great Northern bow until yesterday. One of my shooting buddys showed up at the local 3D shoot with one yesterday morning. The workmanship was excellent right down to the western diamondbacks on the back. Of course I had to shoot it. The draw was smooth as silk and I could not even feel when the arrow left the bow smoking down range, probably the most zero hand shock bow I have ever shot.

Even though I am a selfbow guy I like to shoot different custom bows when I have a chance. Some impress me, some don't, this one definitely did.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Hey Eric,

I know it is a contradiction, but Great Northern bows remind me of selfbows in a way. I think it is their uncluttered looks.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Great Northern bows are , what I call,Rustics Bows in looks natural , but with all the right curves of great longbow. Some of the most sucessful bowhunters I know hunt with them. I wish I still had the Gritter gitter...  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
There are no finer men than Jerry and Rick. Their bows are fine pieces of art and done one at a time which is getting to be more scarce.
Rick has taken over the quivers and Jerry is now alone in the bow shop. This amicable split was done so each had more freedom of time and product.

Pawpaw Brumm made me this 55# Fireball with the hinge system. Sweet shooting bow.

PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Jerry and Rick are the salt of the earth.  Hard to find any finer people.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
I heard their girlfriends did all the work and they took all the credit... but I don't know Squat. bw

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Congrat's Jerry & Rick on a great 25 years, and all the best on the next 25.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
up

Offline Jim Parsell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Barry, you have it all wrong, Sharon makes the bows, quivers and answers the phone..  Jerry and Rick have been involved in a 25 year scam.  Sharon is really the brains of the company..  Just talk to all 3 of them and its quite ovbious that Sharon not only looks a lot better, she is a whole bunch smarter and articulate!!!!  Jim

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I wasn't going to say anything but Jim has it right.  :)  
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
And Sharon is charming too, but Jerry does have a sort of rustic charm I suppose.    :rolleyes:

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
I don't know either personally.  I bought a new to me Ghost a few weeks ago.  I called Jerry to discuss my find.  I told him how the bow was the most special that I have ever handled or shot, and I could "hear" him beaming through the phone.  He told me that I had really made his day.  We talked for quite a while, and I enjoyed it tremendously.  Glad to know that there is still such pride in workmanship.  Seems to be a great guy, that I would certainly want to meet some day.  As for his workmanship?  Magical, is the best term I can think of.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©