3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2007 Elk Scouting trip  (Read 610 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
2007 Elk Scouting trip
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Mike and Connie came out here to AZ this week and we made plansto get together for a Day of Elk Scouting. I thought it would be fun to share some pictures of our outing. There will be 2 series of pics with 3 pics in each series.

If any of you have been thinking about hunting Elk out West. Look at these pictures and ask yourself if you are in good enough shape to get in and out of the country these pics were taken in. Then ask yourself if you can do it with 80# of Elk meat strapped to your back.Twice??... Three times??

These pics also show the value of good optics in this rugged country. The first pic in each series is what we saw with the naked eye. The second pic shows the same area with a 8x digital zoom. We were hitting this area for the first time and were just mainly trying to learn the lay of the land and the road system. My wife took these pics and as she downloaded them this morning zoomed in started picking out Elk we hadn't seen...... Have fun!!

Pic #1 The sidehill Elk, naked eye view, Can you see the Elk?:

Zoomed in 8X, How about now?

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2007 Elk Scouting trip
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I have 8 bonus pts for AZ Elk....Hopefully I'll be out of breath out there next year
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Just started applying for Arizona, it will be a while, but someday I look forward to being out of breath.  Thanks for the pics.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Good Luck on your draws next year guys..... Did you fine the Elk in the pics??....   ;)   Terry

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
I did not...reminds me of time I hunted the National forest above Wickenburg for javelinas....My buddies ( Az natives) were spotting all the pigs..I couldn't figure out how till they taught me what to look for....basically a speck of pepper moving under the cacti about 1/2 mile away.....AZ hunters definitely know alot about how to use the glass...unit 9b or 9a..is my wish next year with 9 pts.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Joe... I hope you get your Unit 9 tag....That's an excellent hunt especially when the spring rains are good...... I'll post a pic showing where the Elk are after we get a couple of more guesses.....   :D  Terry

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
brown dot..just a tad above center

Offline rawshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Just above center of the 8x pic?
Jamie Johnson

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Super looking country.

Still took a little while to find the elk in the big pic after seeing it in the zoom.

Looking forward to more pics, looks like good lion country.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Looks like you guys got that one:

Yep Robin it is great Lion Country. I know a couple of guys that run their dogs there and they have some great pics every year..... From the sign we were seeing it is great bear country as well.... I plan on going back in there and doing some calling setups when the temps drop a bit..... Here's the next set of pics.

Naked Eye Pic:

Zoom In 8x:

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Guess that last one is a little too tough for you guys....   :bigsmyl:  Terry

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Dang Terry...that's where you been. Haven't seen you post in a month of Sundays. What up?

We've had the hottest summer on record I think. Like 25 days above 90 and half a weeks worth about 105. Reminds me of Mesa on a cool day ha ha

Ever get that sinew to stick? Been keeping that blade of grass cut?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
LOL... Hi Mickey.... Yep that blade is under control..... I've been scrambling with the HOAL stuff the last couple of months..... I made a goal to increase recruitment this year and you know how the saying goes "Be careful what you wish for"     :bigsmyl:  Between the kids I have on the list for AZ so far,and those with applications pending, We may very well be putting as many kids out here this year as we did the last two years combined...... Soon as I get back from Colorado I'll get the finishing touches on that stick of yours and get her out to you....... Terry

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
I see 'im, I see 'im!  He's in the lower left corner just below the crest of the ridge.  :readit:    (I think  :confused:  )
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Ya mean here Whip?

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
That ones a rock....  It had me guessing when I first saw it too.....  :D   Here's the other Elk

and I think there might be another in the shadows to the right of the cliff..... Terry

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I thought there was another one in the first pic...but it's amazing how many times I've gotten my heart rate up over rocks and stumps  :rolleyes:

Terry, your Colorado trip must be geting close...when are you going?
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm heading out of town at 3:30am on the 15th... Putting up in a hotel Saturday night and hitting camp Sunday morning......My hunt starts the next day.......I've shaved off 36# since February and am in the best shape I've been in for years.... I am ready to hit it hard ........ Terry

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Congrats Terry...your training and discipline are paying off big time.  Have a great hunt!
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Dang Terry good for you...I'd love to lose 36# (well 20# would really be ideal). Does it require excercise or stop eating or something?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©