3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some limb advice - What goes with Macassar? *Updated with decision pics!*  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi all,

So I'm getting a new bow built. This one is going to be a real looker, one piece Siren with horn work. I wanted Macassar ebony in there somewhere and based on the bowyer's advice I'm putting it in the riser.

Now I'm racking my brain trying to work out what to put on the limbs. I like the darker colours (but maybe not too dark since it shows streaks in the glass) - and since most people on here appear to be gentlemen of refined taste when it comes to bows I thought it might be wise to ask some opinions since I've still got a little while on the waiting list before my name comes up and I can afford a bit of umming and ahhing.

Thanks!

Scott.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
A real figured Myrtle Burl, with lots of dark in it. I really like quilted Sapelle as well, but that is not too dark, but you could have Jim hit the quilted Sapelle with a bit of darkish stain!(oh my!!) Shawn
Shawn

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
My choice would be bocote veneers. I have seen them in both a lighter and darker version (Black Widow catalog has pictures of both color bocote laminations).

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
YEW!!!  YEW is beautiful when complimented with a darker riser ... so does brown glass with yew or tempered boo cores ... sexy!!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have one that is as Shawn stated with myrtle burl it should be coming in the mail any time. It is a buffalo bow from Big Jim.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
Tulipwood

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
x2 Myrtle!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
Eucalyptus and Macassar Ebony compliment each other well or Permali if you want to keep it darker.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Myrtle can be amazing!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Seems to me that from the pictures I have seen there is quite a bit of colour variation in macassar ebony...I would think that before you make a final decision on what you want for limb veneers you will need to have some idea about the actual tone of your riser material...my Gharing takedown is macassar with a padauk stripe and light colored bamboo limbs...I am not even going to attempt to post a pic here but I will email you some if you are interested...there is some gorgeous figure in my piece of macassar which only really pops in good sunlight

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Black and white ebony or yew or red elm.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
Ive got an ebony riser bow on order with Cari-bow, limb veneers black and white ebony. also getting water buff horn overlays on the heel and cap!
cant wait

pretty dont come cheap in bows as in life

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
You should check out cari-bows website. He has a ton of wood combinations, and they are all absolutely stunning!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
So what do you guys think about waterfall bubinga? I was having a look around and I'm getting more and more fond of the idea.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
I have had several with waterfall bubinga , not enough contrast for me. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
Bocote would look really sharp.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Macassar and zebra look really well to me.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
I'll post pics later today of bows I built with East Indian Rosewood, macassar ebony and nice figured Bubinga.. all dark brown with dark figure..

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
BW ebony - the right veneers can look awesome
Myrtle - used alot
Koa - my favorite
Bocote - great combo

I have an ebony addiction.......
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement