3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A good day  (Read 670 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
A good day
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Had a very good day today in Gods Country. Been having a bit of sinus trouble the last few days and finally slept very well last night . Rolled out about 9 this Morning and decided to put on the leafy suit and a grab my bow and gear with a few turkey calls and head to the swamp. The river has been flooded for near two months but has began to fall back some. So I hoped to be able to cover a few dry spots and maybe call an old swamp Rooster up.
  There was more water than I hoped and I spent a whole lot of time walking in it. Finally hit some high ground and set up against a big pine and called some.The sinus medicine I had took the night before was still on me and I caught a nap that lasted till the thermacel ran out of gas...it got ugly for a few minutes.

I got up to move some and it hit me how beautiful the high ground I was on was.Lilies were flowered and it was just plain purty...

The ground was covered with them here...

This tree was begging for a picture...

I cut across and went to other side of this to another high spot...

I cut a good trail and could spot a few white oaks on a rise. I always like to check deep woods white oaks . If they feed its usually a good spot to remember for the fall.
 I was easing up to them and spotted a nice keepsake for the trip..

I went maybe a 100 yards farther . I was easing kinda slow because pig sign was getting thick and fresh and I felt a slight rustle in the leaves beside my foot and a slight "tap" on it. I looked down and about lost my breath for a few seconds...

If you can see the impression in the leaves and ground at the bottom right of the pic ,that is where my foot was when I saw the rascal.I dont like snakes.

I found another place to set up and call Turkeys for a while as I needed some time to regroup. No Turkey conversations again but did have a small bird land on my knee for a second. The leafy suit works good.Did not help my nerves much though. It began to get late and I wanted to get across most of the water headed back to the truck before dark . Its hard to judge water depth in the dark and the snake had me shook a bit still.
  I was headed along the edge of another small rise when I heard a stick break and a little bit of scuffling. I worked my way forward with the wind good and spotted 3 shoats. I managed to get 11 steps from one and he finally hit a small gap and I made a decent shot. Pig ran about 40 yards and fell 15 yards from the edge of a big run of water. Made it back to the truck with only a little water in the snake boots and no more reptile encounters. Never heard a Turkey the whole day but had a very good outing. Thank You Lord.RC

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A good day
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Good day indeed Robert.  Snakes are starting to move about around here as well. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Wow RC, that was a great day. I thank the Good Lord that you were not bitten by that hog of a copperhead. Did you kill the snake? Was the tap on your foot him striking? Anyway, congrats on the pig!!! I always enjoy your posts, so thanks for posting!!!

Charlie
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
RC you are a hog killin' machine!
I always read your posts.  Keep at it and congratulations.
Oh....and I hate snakes!
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Nice   :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
RC,

That Copperhead would look good on that Stalker!  I’ve yet to run across a snake this spring, which has been usual for me, and like you I don’t like running into a snake when my senses are not concentrating on the forrest floor!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey RC! A very good day indeed!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
And forgot to mention well done on another hog!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
That looks like the pig I missed in the field at Ocmulgee RC. Thanks for getting him for me.   :scared:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
The worst day hunting is better than sitting at the house or working.

Good for you RC!!

I am thankful you didn't have to deal with that slither stick much.

Thank you for sharing!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Looks like a great day out........that snake woulda freaked me out BAD though. I like snakes........just not snakes that bite. I'm a bit too far north for them poisonous ones thankfully.
Darcy
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I don`t know if he "struck" me or not. I do know I felt it on the side of my shoe. It about had to be an attempt to bite.About 10 years ago I stepped on two copperheads at the same time. I felt one hit my leg twice and saw it once. I remember as I got away from them that I thought I was bitten. I pulled my pants leg up and not a mark. The Good Lord was taking care of a swamper again. No snakeboots for me back then. I told my Wife about it and she made me promise to get some so now I wear`m. Its a bad feeling to feel a snake under your foot.
 A lot of folks scold me for killing a snake and if you don`t walk around where they are thick you may think they are cool. But let me tell you that where they are plentiful it ain`t cool to get on one.RC

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Great Day RC!       :thumbsup:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
I know how bad you hate it when you're just trying to get back to the truck, but the pigs won't let you. Good stuff Robert.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Nice hog.
 :scared:  Don't much like snakes though,couple close calls with rattlers in Eastern Wa.is why!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
An excellent day RC and great harvest! Glad all was good with the snake though. Really hate them little suckers!!   :eek:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline TRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
Nice pig RC.  I agree with you about the snakes!  I hate them, esp. the poisonous ones.  They can ruin a good hunt quick when you get surprised!  Again, nice pig!  You live in some beautiful country.  Thanks for the pics also.
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV)

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 03:59:00 AM »
That is a beautiful bit of swamp mate. That snake sure does have the camo idea sorted. Cheers for sharing.

Offline Sam Zirkle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
nice
i

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Very nice RC!
Shoot Straight..