3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock alignment & runout on wood arrows  (Read 1783 times)

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nock alignment & runout on wood arrows
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Which way should the runout on wood arrows face towards the nock or away? Pictures would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock alignment & runout on wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
The pointers on the top of the shaft should point to the target.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Best and most concise description I've heard yet. Suffices for a 200 word explanation.  Do what Rick says.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Just don't shoot four fletch. Then you've got a 50% chance of loosing your arrow upside down.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
The best shafts have no runouts, those are hard to come by.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
True, Guy, but it doesn't make any difference.  Any run out, if there is any, and most times there is, should be on the point end of the arrow.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
What if you shoot left handed ?
ChuckC

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Chuck, left or right doesn't make a difference. The runout will be on the top or bottom of the shaft. Run out should point toward the point and be on the top side of the arrow. Theory being if it does break the rear portion of the arrow will go in the same direction, ramping off the front half of the arrow and over your bow hand and not down into it.

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
That is unless you were talking about shooting a right handed arrow out of a left handed bow. In which case it would be upside down...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Exactly. . .
ChuckC

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Buy some premium Surewood fir shafts.  Run out is not much of a problem if you get the premiums. Almost non existant in the shafts I've ordered from Bob Marshall @ Surewood.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:17:00 AM »
Thanks for your help guys.

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by 58WINTERS:
Buy some premium Surewood fir shafts.  Run out is not much of a problem if you get the premiums. Almost non existant in the shafts I've ordered from Bob Marshall @ Surewood.
X2 for Surewoods I have not seen a run out on my orders and I have been trying really hard to find some....  :clapper:
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
"The pointers on the top of the shaft should point to the target.

Posted by Orion (Member # 2759) on April 09, 2013 10:43 AM:

Best and most concise description I've heard yet. Suffices for a 200 word explanation. Do what Rick says."

Yep, gotta agree, simplest explanation I've heard on the subject....

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
The pointers on the top of the shaft should point to the target.
Totally agree and one further thought along that line--that means there are left hand and right hand arrows.  :saywhat:   Arrows made up so the pointers on top of the shaft point toward the target will be on the bottom pointing right at your hand if anything goes wrong and the arrow breaks along the grain line if you shoot them on the other side of the bow with the normal cock feather out arrangement.  Let's say if Fletcher made me some arrows as he normally would for a right handed shooter, when I put the same arrow on my left handed bow, the pointy ends will be on the bottom facing forward (toward my bow hand).  I locate the nocks on my arrows to keep the little pointy devils on top should an arrow blow along grain lines at release.....Hope I made myself clear on this  :rolleyes:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Totally agree and one further thought along that line--that means there are left hand and right hand arrows.   :saywhat:    Arrows made up so the pointers on top of the shaft point toward the target will be on the bottom pointing right at your hand if anything goes wrong and the arrow breaks along the grain line if you shoot them on the other side of the bow with the normal cock feather out arrangement.  Let's say if Fletcher made me some arrows as he normally would for a right handed shooter, when I put the same arrow on my left handed bow, the pointy ends will be on the bottom facing forward (toward my bow hand).  I locate the nocks on my arrows to keep the little pointy devils on top should an arrow blow along grain lines at release.....Hope I made myself clear on this   :rolleyes:  
And that is exactly my point about four fletch. Everything being equal four fletch users are shooting their arrows dangerously upside down half the time.
But we never hear about their arrows exploding and driving into their hand.
Which leads me to wonder if anyone has ever seen an arrow splinter along the grain lines like this? I know I haven't.
How many custom arrow makers ask their customers if they are left or right handed? I do, but I've seen it stated here on TG that it's a silly question.
All the arrows I make are to the above standard. I do it for uniformity and because it's what people expect. But I'm not convinced it's as necessary as it's stated to be.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving for a shoot in an hour or so so I won't be able to follow this until I return next week.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Grey, I totally agree that it's probably an extremely low probability that an arrow will fracture along grain lines, however, an ounce of prevention never hurt!  ;)  Have fun at the shoot.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Guy:  I've only had one arrow break on the bow in 50 years of shooting, and I think I cracked that arrow on a glancing shot previously.  Received a pretty good rap on my bicep, which turned black and blue, then yellow.  Long story short, very few wood arrows break regardless of grain orientation, because we know a lot of folks don't pay any attention to grain orientation.

Another reason I put the pointers toward the target is that the straightest grain, which is less susceptible to bending/warping, is then on the nock end of the shaft.  So, that end of the shaft is straightest to begin with and stays the straightest. It's no fun trying to straighten a bend in the fletched area of the shaft.

Of course, because the grain is also straightest there, it should also be strongest and less likely to break there.  Maybe overkill, but doesn't take much  work to orient the shaft appropriately, and it provides an extra margin of safety.

Oops.  We're getting close to that 200 word explanation.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Well I have seen it happen along growth rings. The person who got me started in archery in 1958 had an arrow separate along a growth ring. The arrow went through his forearm and came out the back of his wrist. I wasn't there when it happened, but saw the two pieces of the arrow the next day. Tom and I took them to a local sports store and the gentleman there told us that the riffs on top of the arrow should be pointing away from the shooter. He said that would give the shooter the most protection in case of a shaft separation, but it wasn't foolproof, that you could still have it run through you arm or hand even if it was assembled correctly. He also said that the most problems came from shafts with dark growth rings. To this day I discard them.
Hap

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©