3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting in breathable waders  (Read 523 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting in breathable waders
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I'm heading back to my old home state this fall -- Alaska -- and will be floating 100+ miles,  hunting moose with trad gear.  I'd like to avoid the wetness that comes with hip boots, from travelling in a raft and hunting in boggy country.  

Do any of you hunt in breathable waders --basically living in them for the majority of the trip -- for water, short hikes,  and everything in between?

Is there any particular wader you would recommend?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
Re: Bowhunting in breathable waders
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I floated 10 days and used Simms every day. Another hunt I killed a bear wearing them.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I had a camo set that I hunted Alaska in for 10 years. When those things wore out it about killed me. The ones I used were stocking foot and I wore good boots over them.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
My friends brother has Simms they are nice but hard on the wallet. We got Dan Bailys bare bones and they have held up better han his Simms. Good guarantee. Tough good hunting color and comfortable.  They have done well standing by their warranty too.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Nt a lot of experience with them because they were new this last duck season but the Cabelas breathables get a lot of good reviews.
Romans 8:28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Yep, I spent over a week near POW only taking a pair of Cabelas waist high stocking foot breathables off to sleep. Comfy cozy the whole time.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Last Alaska river trip I did I used Cabelas Bog Busters neoprene hip boots.  Wore them almost continuously, except for at camp.  Didn't find them clammy unless I did a lot of walking. Then condensation developed inside the boot, which it will with any boot "breathable" or not.  Just about any hip boot will do.  Turn them down and air them out each night or whenever else it's convenient to do so. Have fun.  Alaska is a blast.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Simms, and all brands I have been around are very crinkly, noisy fabric. I wish some co. would make quiet breathable waders!! KUIU guys please listen to our needs.
Some fishing friends are using Kokatat dry suit pants with good boots to reduce bulk and weight compared to waders but they are still noisy Goretex fabric. We need this product.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I used to use stocking foot neoprenes and just dealt with the moisture. A buddy of mine used Simms, but they were a lot noisier. He didn't stay a whole lot drier than I did.  I also took my  Xtratuf hip boots and alternated between the two when I could. Make sure you use merino wool undergarments.

Offline Bob4st

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
...I use an old leaky pair of Cabelas waist high breathables as rain gear...they're a little noisy but I get by...I cut off the neoprene stocking feet to simply use em as rain pants
NY Bowhunters, Inc.
Traditional Bowhunters of NY
Traditional Archery Society
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Archie - Simms stockingfoot goretex wading pants are the cats meow. Add a pair of light wading boots with the waffle rubber bottoms and you quickly forget you're wearing "waders". Not too bad for noise except for brush slaps.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
How about L.L. Bean waders?   The Simms have a great reputation,  but they cost quite a bit.

I've already bought a pair of clearance breathables (store brand) from a big-box store,  but I'm worried about them giving out on me halfway through my trip. Probably going to take them back.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
wear cotton bibs over the breathables--quieter--and less chance of rips
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement