3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it just me or...  (Read 892 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it just me or...
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Whether it is a wheel bow or recurve I think for the most part people draw way more weight than is needed.  I dropped down to 58# on my compound 10 years ago and have since killed many deer, bear, caribou and elk.  I always get complete pass thru's unless I hit a shoulder.  Plus my accuracy has gotten way better.  When I switched to shooting traditional again I started at 43# and have no intentions of going higher than 50#.
T ZZZZ

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I shoot light stuff cause I shoot it better. I can shoot 58# but why.......my target panic flairs up and I can't shoot all day. Anything I hunt I can kill with a 45#-48# bow! When I was 40 55-60 was not an issue.....that was over 20 years ago!    :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by stagetek:
I'm shooting 48-52lbs. and it seems like alot. Used to shoot 65, than 55. Just getting older, I guess.
Same here.  Seems weird that a bow that a few years ago seemed just too light now feels just about right....if only it were 3-4# lighter.  I shoot regularly--like 4-5 times a week so it's not that I lay off too much.  I'm hitting 70 next birthday (can't believe I just typed that   :scared:  ) and your muscles just aren't what they used to be as we age.    :(
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I draw 68 lbs. I wouldn't mind bumping up to 73-75 lbs. But I'm 21 and have been shooting the same bow since I was 15(draw was originally 28" it is now 32"). I guess I kinda grew into the heavy poundage. For what it is worth, I LOVE the way a 740 grain arrow rockets down range out of my bow.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
If your wife shoots a heavier bow than you, is this something that should be made public knowlege?
:notworthy:
We only praise honesty around here...

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
If a guy/gal shoots what is comfortable for him, and not try and over do it, then he/she could probably just keep using that bow for life.  We only got the one body, and if we use our brains as much as our muscles and stay within our capabilites our body will last longer.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I'm only 25 and I'm shooting 71@28 with my 28" draw. The main reason I shoot that weight is because the bow was given to me. Now that I've shot the bow for over a year I love the weight(and of course the bow)! This is only my fourth season in traditional archery so I'm still new, but I guess my personal opinion is you should shoot the highest weight your the most accurate and comfortable with. If your shooting a tennis ball at 20 yards 5/5 shots with a 70@28, and doing the same thing with a 50@28 why go down to the 50? I get that you can shoot more arrows with the 50 but if you put in the time you can shoot that heavier one just as long. I also like the extra comfort knowing if my shot is off and hits a bone I have a better chance of getting to the goods with the extra weight. My buddy Tim tells me to drop weight everytime we talk, he says my shoulders will thank me one day     :biglaugh:     He's probably right but I'll shoot this bow until I can't get it back to anchor.

This is just my personal opinion (probably my ignorance), I'm not trying to go against the grain or ruffle anybody's feathers.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Well, I occasionally shoot with a skinny young kid (14 yrs old maybe?) that shoots 50# bare fingered. More power to him. I admire him.

This old man is a lot more comfortable with one of my lighter bows and a glove. I can still shoot my 50# curve for hunting, but I enjoy the mid-40# stuff a LOT more when it's not just one arrow.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
I've tried everything from the low 40#'s up to 67#@27",   I'm 40 yrs old now & find 55#@27" is perfect & I shoot it best.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
I'm with Jon, shoot as much weight as you can with confidence and accuracy.  I also believe strongly that your fitness level is a key component, regardless of age, in your ability to handle heavier weight bows.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Snakebit, You should listen to your friend.......seriously!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Age has a some to do with it but sometimes age causes us to not stay in good shooting shape. I know I struggle with my 60 pound bows after deer season and during the winter from not shooting regularly but as spring comes and especially after I arrive in camp in Colorado in June, I start shooting every day and in a couple weeks or so muscle tone has returned.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
I know I have moved down in weight the last 10 years. I went from 61# to 57# to 53# now. I notice that as the weather improves and I can get out and shoot more, It gets easier.
As Bill said it takes more work to maintain muscle tone as you age.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
In my 20's in the 70's my first real hunting bow (not counting my solid fiberglass when I was 12) was 45@28" went to 50@28" K-mag then 55 k-mag and Howatt hunter the same wgt.I hunted with them through the 70's,80's and 90's then bought my first takedown Bob Lee 57@28 and also used some 60@28 limbs also.In my late 50's I started going back down to my first 45/50 plus or minus a couple and am quite happy with lighter wgt.Killing them just as dead.I am almost 63 and 50@ 28 I draw app. 28 1/2" works perfect for me.Kip

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
If you listen to your body and not your poundage crazy buddy, you just might get to shoot years longer. Like someone else said in another thread, dead is dead. Age DOES make a difference. Just wait a few more decades and see...,

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
I think Mike Macredy summed it up perfectly. You don't realize the stress on joints and connective tissue until it's too late. If you can't pull your bow easily then your pulling too much weight. If your young, that's one thing, but as you start to age your body just doesn't rejuvinate itself like it once did.The result can be damaging, just ask those who have gone threw surgery,ect.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
I met a young man that had the same model longbow as mine, over 15 years ago. Except his was 51 pounds at 26" and mine was 64 at 26". His bow made three elk bleed on both sides with short blood trails all three times. Mine never went elk hunting. 40 years ago a slightly older young guy than me, we were hunting the same nice buck. He was shooting a 45@28" Bear Kodiak and pulling it just shy of 27", I  was shooting an 85 pound longbow.. It came past him and he put a cedar arrow with a four blade Bear straight through both lungs and into a creek.  There have always been those that knew that they had enough killing power even though their bows were not monsters. Perhaps once again more archers are finding that out. I had to learn the hard way by having a deer go down with a bow that was half the weight that I would normally use and the deer went down just like the heavy bows did it.  It is a wise young man that decides to go for accuracy over struggling to get more power and staying with that choice. Down the road his joints will be better off.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
Im 27 going on 90. When I started trad shooting I started with a 60lb hatfield takedown. I have had a few back and shoulder injuries and bumped down to 50lbs. Then had to quit shooting completly for a yea or two. this past september i got back able to shoot and started with 50lbs. Today I got my first bow above 50@28. It's a 56lb pronghorn... A couple weeks of shooting should tell me if my back is upto it or not. I have a fairly long hold at anchor and 50lbs is easy to hold so I'm thinking 56 should be doable for me.
Levi Bedortha

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Awhile ago I felt that I might need to go back to a lighter bow as well.  So I picked up a 48# pronghorn.  I also joined a yoga class of all things, primarily for help with my 60 year old back.

Then I read something Mr Distefano (sp?) wrote about the need to shoot year round.  So, I thought instead of waiting for spring to start shooting again, I would try  shooting all winter in my garage. Mostly to keep the strength built up, and try to hit smaller spots on my target.
 Strangely, now I can my shoot my 55# recurve very well and can do a passable job with an older 60# longbow now.  So, I use my 48 for awhile and then move up to the heavier bows. Don't know what I will hunt with for sure but am guessing I will be able to handle around 55# again.
Thanks Mr. D for the challenge!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
I am 53 and also shoot girly weights like between the 45 and 51 pounds.

But can it be maybe also the reason that modern bows become better in sence of less drawweight/higher speed?

Maybe a modern hybrid longbow these days of 45 lbs offers the same speed as an older longbow of 65 pounds??? So maybe there is less need for heigher drawweights also?

Just caressing myself here....    :dunno:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©