3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it just me or...  (Read 891 times)

Re: Is it just me or...
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Some bows are most definitely faster than others. My Grooves Spitfire that is around 45 at my draw will out shoot a number of other bows as much as 10 pounds heavier that I compared it to shooting the same arrow.  the other part of that is that Grooves prefers to shoot the same arrow as bows ten pounds heavier as well. Today, if one wants to shoot a lighter bow, there are numerous high performance options that were not around before. however, when I was a teenager in the 60s my 55 pound Pearson was the stiffer than the others bows. Most of them were shooting 45 pounds.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I think this trend is due to many of us realizing that we are much more accurate with lighter weight bows. I'm only 35 and I've never shot anything over 60 lbs. For hunting I shoot about 53lbs. But I can shoot 40lbs. even better. No matter how much I shoot 53lbs. I can still shoot 40 better. Since I hunt whitetails and turkeys my next bow will be around 43 to 45 lbs. I have no qualms at all about shooting whitetails with that weight and I can shoot it well.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
I should add that I shoot the way Rick Welch does in that I "hold" for up to 3 seconds before release. When I used to snap shoot 60 pounds was no problem.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I can still pull and shoot 80 plus pounds, but my shoulders have gotten bad so even though I can do it, I now shoot 51-56#s and my shoulders thank me! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Yes! I used to pull a78# bow, then went to a65# bow. Had an injury and now hunt with 55# but do most of my 3D at 50#. This is due both to age (63) and the injury.
Sam

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I don't think age is the only factor and just because someone is older doesn't mean they can't draw and comfortably shoot a heavier bow. Everyone is different. I know a man (close personal friend) who shot 61# for years. He is now 71 years old and still pulls and shoots a 55# longbow everyday. So he has gone down some in weight but not to what I would consider a lower weight (especially considering all the bows I shoot are in the 55#-60# range and I'm only 19 lol). I have quite a few people in my family who are either physicians or pharmacist. It really just comes down to the person. Some people may be able to pull and shoot just as much weight the day they die as they could in their prime and others will have to move down in draw weight. I personally hope I never have to drop in poundage but if I do due to health reasons when I get older it will just be something new to embrace.
James Kerr

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by straight_arrow:
I'm with Jon, shoot as much weight as you can with confidence and accuracy.  I also believe strongly that your fitness level is a key component, regardless of age, in your ability to handle heavier weight bows.
+ 2
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
I shot low 70s till I was 55 and had neck surgery,dropped down to 60 to 63# .Last year I noticed I was having trouble with 63# so I made a 50# longbow for my whitetail trips back to wis. every year and am the process of building a 55 to 58# (I hope) one for elk.
I'm active and workout at least 5 times a week and 60 years old and going down hill  :scared:  So I think age just gets ya.
But its better then the alternative   :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©