3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another True South hunt report  (Read 488 times)

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
Another True South hunt report
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
My son Cade and I returned last night from southern Florida after hunting Osceola's, hogs and bowfishing with Jim and Irv at True South Adventures.

Here is a quick recap and a few pics.  

On Thursday evening after meeting Jim at the hotel and Irv & his lovely wife at the property.  Jim, Cade, and I spooked a red deer hind walking into Cades hog stand.  Cade then proceeded to see a big hog from his stand across the fence, but it never came in for an opportunity.

Jim and I saw a hog walking into my evening blind, and a hen while trying to perform a cut off move on the hog.

Jim got charged by an armadillo and had to shoot in self defense.  Honestly, he was lucky he did not skewer his foot with his broadhead.  Talk about cool under pressure.  :scared:  

Friday morning I called a hen and gobbler in to probably 50 yards.  They never came in all the way sticking to the thick woods.  The hen was yelping and cutting, putting on a vocal show.  I do not know if I blew it, or if I was competing with her and she eventually won the day.  In the end she pulled him away.  I stayed in the blind until noon and did get some gobbles across the road on an adjoining property while walking out to eat lunch. Jim and I moved a blind and I sat for the afternoon, then switched to hog stand and missed a racoon.  We did see two toms while moving around the property in the afternoon.

My son had an uneventful morning, but went to work on the bowfishing and had an absolute blast.  This was his first attempt, and did fairly well.  One of the above toms was close to his morning blind, so he jumped in hoping to get some afternoon action.  He then sat a hog stand that evening.  No hogs, but had turkeys fly right over him going to roost.

Saturday morning found me on the outside looking in, heard some gobbles, but nothing doing.  I had some decoys set up in a the road hoping a wandering tom would see them and come in.  Save for a short lunch break I sat the whole day without any turkey action.  At dark I did have a small (40ish pounds) sow come by with her litter.  They were small and I just enjoyed the show.  I could have shot her, and one of the bigger piglets (15 pounds or so) but was not interested.  A bigger pig growled at me as I was leaving.  I walked over to the fence hoping to see it with my headlamp, but it took off.  Sounded like a much bigger pig than the small sow that was growling previously.

Cade heard some morning turkey talk but nothing came of it.  He was on to some middle of the day bowfishing.  He then sat for turkeys in the evening and heard some roost.

Sunday morning was perfect weather, the wind and rain showers had left and it was warm.  Moved a ground blind in the pre-dawn darkness.  The turkeys were really going off.  I thought, this is the morning.  One gobbler answered me and I thought the game was on.  But alas, all I called in was a hen.  I was pretty tickled though, as I had to be doing something right.

My son on the other hand, had three gobblers responding.  One did come in to about forty yards but caught him shifting in the blind.  He ended up spooking before any attempt could be made.

All summed up, we had a great time.  Neither of us were ready to leave but our time was up.  It was interesting to hunt some new country and hear the Florida country come alive in the morning, go to bed at night.  Loved seeing all the new floral and fauna.  

Cade and myself

Cade stumblebumming down the road

Tilapia

Florida gar

This last pic is what I awoke to this morning, as our plane actually landed in a semi blizzard last night.  
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Another True South hunt report
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Outstanding story and pics! Thanks for sharing and looks like good memories for you and your son!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline bculberson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the details and pics of your hunt.  We are still buried in snow up here too.  Sounds like you and your boy saw lots of game, the stars just weren't in alignment this time.

bruce
70" HHA Tembo takedown 50#
69" bamboo backed hickory 55#

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
I know that you and Cade had a blast!!  great pics
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
Sounds like a great trip.  I bet hunting with your son will be  a memory lasting forever.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing. You will always enjoy those memories
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Looks like memories made to last a lifetime. Very cool.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Memories for a lifetime, that's for sure.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Cade was a fish stalking bowfishing machine. We've never had anyone take as many gar and especially tilapia. When he connected on his second shot, I knew the fish would be in trouble over the next several days.
I took three big tilapia (that Cade shot) home for a fish fry, excellent eating!He was doing his bowfishing mid-day after sitting in a pop-up blind for 5 hours(how many 14 year olds could do that?).He was even sporting tan lines on his forearm from the armguard!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
That's awesome Cade!!! I launched about 150 arrows and only landed 2 gar and 1 tilapia!!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Gotta love it sounds like a good time!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Good stuff.!!! I gotta get me one of them Osceola`s.RC

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Chad and Cade,
Sorry I had to leave the day you guys arrived, but I sure enjoyed meeting you both.
I felt cheated, having to leave Jim there to share all the fun by himself.
Thanks for the great story.
One thing that impressed me when I met you was that it was obvious your goal was to be sure Cade obtained a True South "experience".
It's a very beautiful corner of the world, and we are lucky to have the hunting rights.
Sharing it with all of our clients and watching them enjoy themselves is what it is all about for us.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing. I am glad you had a great time!    :archer:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Sounds like a pretty cool place,looks like nice country to,glad you had a good time.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
That does sound like a nice place.  You'll both remember and cherish that forever.
-Jay

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Nice story!  Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©