3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me the difference between Long bows and curves  (Read 551 times)

Offline Kanwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me the difference between Long bows and curves
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
I've been shooting recurves for 40 years and have never even shot a longbow. All of my hunting buddies have always shot wheels so I never had the chance to shoot anything other than my own bows. My forty year history has been all recurves, bear Kodak magnum, jack Howard game master jet, assenheimer, and now a blacktail. This will sound stupid to many of you but what will the differences be with some of the newer longbows, should I stick to my curves?
Black Canyon Longbow 62" 60lbs
Blacktail Recurve 62" 55lbs - 29"
Assenheimer 66" 63lbs - 29"
G 21:20 God was with the lad. He lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me the difference between Long bows and curves
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
It depends on what style longbow. There are traditional straight limb bows and hybrid reflex/deflex bows. The latter in many cases will out perform a recurve while the straight limb tends to be a bit lower than most in performance. Also you have to take into account varying grip styles of each which would effect how the bow was shot. So to answer you question it assuming you wanted a modern hybrid longbow then I would say go for it! It will shoot very simliar and maybe even out perform it in many aspects. Besides the afformentioned reasons I personally like the look of a longbow better and the tend to shoot silently when properly tuned, which is very important when hunting. I started with a recurve then moved to a traditonal style longbow and now have settled on hybrids as the bow style for me. Hope this helps.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
I am a longbow guy. I shoot both but prefer and do 95% of my hunting with a longbow. I do not think there is much, if any, of a prerformance difference in many of todays recurves and a lot of reflex/deflex hybrid longbows on the market.

There are 2 main reasons why I prefer the longbow:

1) longbows make a thud sound and recurves make a twang sound. I just can't get used to that twang sound!

2) I HATE STRINGERS! You need to use a stinger with a recurve and you don't with a longbow.

Bisch

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I shoot both and like both. IDk how much a difference there is. Both feel and shoot good for me. Speed wise my omega longbow is very fast

IDk try to play with a few and decide. Im more a recurve guy and most likely wont order anything but ILF set ups from now on
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
I am a longbow guy, although I have a recurve I love.  My major reason is how much quieter a longbow is.

I don't know where you can get your hands on some longbow to try them in Oklahoma, but I would highly recommend you do so.  There are TONS of talented bowyers out there and neighboring Texas is home to several.  If I were you I would find a way to do a few test drives.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Sheer pure simplistic joy!!

Dave Johnson of:  http://davejohnsonlongbows.com/  is near your neck of the woods. Check him and his bows out.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
just got to shoot one....  I shot recurves forever...then got a little d shaped hill style longbow with slight reflex in the limbs with a traditional dished grip...loved it.  they are usually much lighter in your hand....you have to change your shooting a little for the hand placement and such...

but depending on what you like they are either a joy and pleasure to shoot...or your arched nemesis.

i particularly like shooting all style bows...shooting longbow now but shot recurve off my rack the past three years.  Get one and dont look back.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Think about this...I have an RER LXR...the L in the name stands for longbow and the R at the end stands for recurve...so it is a takedown bow with a set of 64 inch deflex/reflex longbow limbs and a set of 62 inch static tip recurve limbs and in this case both the same weight...I would be willing to bet that you could not tell the difference shooting them blindfolded...I am pretty sure that I cannot...in my opinion that is how similar recurves and longbows can be...it all comes down to personal preferences based as much as anything on appearance

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I shot alot of recurves but just recently started shooting a takedown bow with longbow limbs. My experience with other longbows is limited. The biggest difference between the longbow limbs and recurve limbs on the same riser is the draw. The recurve draws way smoother near anchor while the longbow is very stiff stacky feeling. Not good for vertical accuracy. The second difference is release. The longbow limbs are deader in hand on release while recurve limbs jerks forward a little more and shoots louder.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:
I shot alot of recurves but just recently started shooting a takedown bow with longbow limbs. My experience with other longbows is limited. The biggest difference between the longbow limbs and recurve limbs on the same riser is the draw. The recurve draws way smoother near anchor while the longbow is very stiff stacky feeling. Not good for vertical accuracy. The second difference is release. The longbow limbs are deader in hand on release while recurve limbs jerks forward a more and shoots louder.
I shoot that RER at 30 inches and if either of those sets of limbs stack in the least I sure do not notice it...Kevin TerMaat is a long draw shooter and he pays attention to things like that when he builds limbs

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
The first time I saw a Shrew deflex/reflex longbow I said, "That's it.  That's what I want."  And I didn't get to shoot it then either.  I have one now and I wouldn't sell trade it for anything.  Small, real good speed, no hand shock and not big and bulbous like some recurves that look more like a big piece of furniture.  To me the Shrew is the ultimate hunting bow.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.  I borrowed a couple longbows from a guy and shot them extensively.  Pretty much the differences have already been stated.  I returned the two borrowed bows and bought a used Big River LB (thanks longbownut) to shoot.  I still shoot my recurve better but am starting to narrow the gap.  To me "danseitz" is spot on.  I love the sleek feeling on the longbow.
T ZZZZ

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:

Originally posted by Nativestranger:
I shot alot of recurves but just recently started shooting a takedown bow with longbow limbs. My experience with other longbows is limited. The biggest difference between the longbow limbs and recurve limbs on the same riser is the draw. The recurve draws way smoother near anchor while the longbow is very stiff stacky feeling. Not good for vertical accuracy. The second difference is release. The longbow limbs are deader in hand on release while recurve limbs jerks forward a more and shoots louder.
I shoot that RER at 30 inches and if either of those sets of limbs stack in the least I sure do not notice it...Kevin TerMaat is a long draw shooter and he pays attention to things like that when he builds limbs

DDave [/b]
That's good to know Dave. RER builds a great looking bow in the LXR. I think the proper design has a lot to do with it.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Nativestranger, if your longbow limbs are stacking on you they are not designed for your draw. I have an Orion with both longbow and recurve limbs. Neither set stacks. The same is true of my RER XR recurve and my Kanati R/D hybrid longbow.

Now, my hickory Hill style self bow does just begin to stack as I near 28", but I blame that on the bowyer (me). I could fix it, but I just haven't taken the time.

The point is, longbow limbs won't stack any more than recurve limbs if they are designed correctly for your draw.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Kanwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Gentlemen
Thank you very much for the input. Next question. I like a bow quiver. How does it effect the way the longbows shoot and what quivers would you suggest. Elk hunting is my favorite so like to carry five arrows.
Black Canyon Longbow 62" 60lbs
Blacktail Recurve 62" 55lbs - 29"
Assenheimer 66" 63lbs - 29"
G 21:20 God was with the lad. He lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Eagle's Flight Archery makes a very lightweight bow quiver. They also have a 5 arrow model. I have a 4 arrow and find that it has little or no affect on the balance of my Kanati. They are also great to deal with and are sponsors here. I've tried other quivers, but they were too heavy and seemed to throw the bow out of balance.

http://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/efa/quivers.html
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
quivers are a personal thing...maybe as much as bows.  bow quivers some love as they say it adds some stability to the shot due to extra weight....others thing it throws bow off balance.  I can go either way but so far have only truly liked the Great Northern quivers of all I have used...strap on for longbow (or the newer adjustable) and I had the quick mount on my takedown recurves....quiet, light, 5 arrows...great accessory.

that being said my GO TO quiver is an old heavy leather lakota side quiver.  Almost like holsters...got to try them for a while to see if you really like it...unfortunately many of us have more than one quiver just as I have a drawer full of holsters.  Luckily I sell them and get down to just a couple...  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I like the extra weight of a quiver and shoot with it on to get used to it for hunting.  Doesn't seem to affect my shooting much.

Not to derail, but does anyone find that the extra stability of recurve limbs resist torque better and are more forgiving?  

I have fairly similar styles of longbow and recurve - locator grips with hybrid lb limbs.  Strangely enough, I shoot noticeably better up-down with my longbow, but not as well (right now) left-right as the recurve.  I've got to work harder on my grip and pulling through my release with the lb, but it seems like when I do my part the lb is money.  Oh and the lb is a little quieter, but my recurve is pretty dang quiet.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
I narrowed it down to two hybrid longbows and one 3-pce recurve. I found out that the hybrid design suits me the best.
Can't say that there is much difference in shooting, speed or sweetness of draw. Both types draw equally smooth and are equally fast. The longbow has a little bit more vibrations in the hand after the shot, but that is because the recurve has more mass (twice as heavy as the longbows.
All my bows are very quiet.

I use a Thunderhorn sidewinder on my recurve, but I don't like bowquivers on my longbows, I feel they bring them out of balance.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Longbows because I too hate stringers!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©