3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black widow longbows  (Read 865 times)

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
Black widow longbows
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
What's the deal on bw longbows?  I have been looking to buy a used one 43-45# range for a couple months and there is hardly any that come up for sale. My question is are they that awesome of a bow that no one wants to part with them or is it that there is not that many of them out there? Just thinking out loud, looking for input as to weather to spend the money for a new bw bow.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black widow longbows
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Probably a little of both.  Black Widow is known for their recurves more than their longbows.  Mainly because they have been making recurves longer.  So there are more BW recurves out there than BW longbows.  Their longbow is very good.  Good luck in your search.

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Have you gone over to black widow and checked out the classified adds over there

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Agree with Hermon completely.  For what it's worth, most people that have them really seem to like them a lot.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Just got to keep an eye out for them, they come up every once in awhile. I seem to run into them quite abit.  I guess when youre not looking for them, you just trip over them!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
They are a good tuff longbow that shoots very good!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I agree they are a very good bow  I love thier grip and mass weight. A very solid shooting bow! I think folks hang on to them. I wish I had.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Love mine , we have a good time together . PLX Osage. 54#@28".
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline PRK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I bought a BW TD longbow a couple of years ago and yes they are an awesome bow.  I don't think I've shot any of my other bows since.
Paul

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I was kicking around picking one up when I get a little extra "mad" money. Now I'm a recurve guy, but I shot a few that Roger and Toby brought to bear camp, and I gotta say they were pretty sweet!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Sound like I might have to break open my piggy bank and sell my moab if something doesn't show up soon.

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Sound like I might have to break open my piggy bank and sell my moab and buy a new one if something doesn't show up soon.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
With black widow your paying for the name, lots of bowyers make just as good a bow for less. Shot a black widow last summer at a show, really liked it, asked the guy how much & nearly dropped it along with my jaw when he said $1500.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I`ve owned a couple. They are fine bows. A Friends Dad bought a Big Jim buffalo about a month after I got mine. I shot it a few times and tried to trade the buffalo for it...He would not swap.RC

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Wes,I know they don't come cheap. I have bought,and sold quite a few bows over the past couple years. And my PLX is my favorite longbow I've ever owned. Great mass,pointability,speed,
and hitting power. They look great,hold their value,and for me just shoot where I look more than any other. If you get one,do yourself a favor and try some 2018 easton XX75's out of it Wes. You'll fall in love! Good luck in your quest.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
I have had a 62" plx Osage take down for several years. Yes, it is that awesome of a bow that I will never part with it.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Lots of people say they cost a lot.   They do.   But they are very well-made bows with a lot of ongoing support from the company that makes them.   I'm a witness of the fact that Black Widow's warranty and customer service are even better than what they promise when you buy a new bow from them.  My absolutely gorgeous take-down PLX cost me $1300. You're not going to find that one in the classifieds.  I don't regret it for a second,  and I'm saving to buy another heavier one.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Well, I guess I'm in the minority, I don't care for their longbow.  I've had their old LAG, a PLX t/d, and a PLGA, and they don't perform like the longbows I shoot, seem noisier, and have more hand shock then I like in a bow.  Well made, yes, great customer service, yes... I love their recurves, but steer away from their longbows.

Not every bow fits each of us the same, if it shoots for you then shoot it... I know what shoots for me, so that is what I shoot...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
With black widow your paying for the name,...
Not just a name, but a reputation built up over years and years--not an easy task.

I didn't care for the "old" model BW longbows I've shot, but the ones made in the last...5 (?) years or so surprised and impressed me.

If there's any question as to whether or not they will get the job done...just ask Denny Sturgis Jr.  He'd make me sick with jealousy if he wasn't such a nice guy.

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Well, I haven't owned one, but I have shot one, I'll tell you what they are a sweet shooter! With that in mind, I will agree, that was one of the best bows I have ever shot shot, although.... there are many out that are just as nice, or just as good as that bow. A friend of mine, who owns the BW that I tried has gone through probably 50 long bows or so searching for his nirvana, and finally just gave up and bought the one he now owns. Looking back on it, he's spent a small fortune in bows before he finally settled one this one. Not saying that these bows are for everyone, nor am I trying to promote them, but like I said before there are many out there that are comparable or just as good, for half the price. My suggestion is find what fits you best, and stick with it, who's ever name on a bow doesn't necessarily its the best bow for you, always try to test drive one before you make that final commitment, you wouldn't buy a truck before you tried it out first would you? I believe black widow has a test drive program...
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©