3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking tips and tricks  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking tips and tricks
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I am getting cabin fever really bad, and when that happens I usually start dreaming about hunting season and replaying previous hunts gone wrong in the past. This leads to strategizing for future encounters, and a gradual organization of little tricks and tips I've learned.
My favorite hunting style is spot and stalk. Spotting animals is a whole topic in and of itself, but stalking is where every little trick could turn the tide in your favor, or blow the game completely. So I decided to share my three best tips for getting up close and personal on wild animals.

1. Patience kills critters. Having the nerve to sit tight at 70 yards until the wind gets better, or the animal faces another direction, is an excellent, if not indispensable, skill to have.

2. Play the wind when you can, trust your sent elimination scheme (if you have one), and decide if the rewards outweigh the risks when the wind is dicey.

Wind checkers are great, and cheap to make(cornstarch in a small bottle works fine).

I am a firm believer in the power of smoke as a scent eliminator(only green pine branches need apply). I have been dead downwind of 300+ cow elk(within 30 yards) and they didn't bat an eyelash.

3. Thick wool socks... you might hear guys talk about it but until you've tried them for yourself you just can't understand how much quieter you are in socks instead of shoes. I always carry these with me.

Those are my top three tips, lets hear yours!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Wear appropriate footwear-no hard boots on dry leaves.
Don't stare and never make eye contact.
Move only when they are relaxed and not looking.
Don't walk at them instead approach indirectly.
A suspicious animal will look for confirmation-like put their head down to look like they resumed feeding and all the time they are eyeballing you looking for movement.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm with ya on the cabin fever!

The above are good and ill add some new ones I I like as well...

Once I get to around 100 yards I try to always take a few extra minutes to really look around for any animals that I missed or can not account for once I'm in closer.

Pick a path from my intial spotting postion that gets me to a spot inside of 50 yards and worry about the last half once I'm there.

Be in shape... More stalks = higher odds. Not to mention shooting is easier when you are not winded.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Do not look for the animal, look for parts-ear, eye or horizontal lines

I often glass from my knees, the undergrowth hides reclining animals, but getting under the lower limbs of junipers, they appear.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Good stuff guys. I will add another.

4. Once you are in range, you need an arrow on the string at all times, even if you are still trying to get closer, or trying to maneuver for a clear shot. Did you see the video of Cade stalking hogs a couple weeks ago? Every step he took left his torso oriented in a good shooting position.
Curt, Terry, and Cade showed off some mad stalking skills down there, and we should learn from them.  :thumbsup:
Malachi C.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Also don't get diarrhea like I did stalking a Bull Elk one year. It put a halt to that stalk.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Trupkin,  I have been dead downwind of lots of critters, especially elk, and they never winded me, but I sure smelled them !    :bigsmyl:  

I hear ya.

Lots also depends o the critters you are sneakig up on. They all act different, so that knowledge is indespensible.  Like the song "you got to know when to hold em,  know when to fold em".

Always move slow. Commit to as much time as needed. Learn to always play the wind, however,  For some critters, the wind is Everything, for others, not so much.

The more you do it, the better you get.

Besides, it is pretty cool to sneak in close.
ChuckC

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I see all you guys who have posted so far are all from the west. Here in NY, stalking is almost non existent,at least where I hunt. I hunt all forested hills, with few if any fields or open places.Still hunting is an option when ground conditions are favorable.Crunchy forest floors are usually the norm during our Whitetail season, making sneaking up on them next to impossible.It's difficult even when conditions are good, as wind is always shifty due to the topography.With all that said I will attempt to add to the subject.

If the ground is noisy to walk on, there are two options while still hunting.

1} Walk abruptly until game is encountered and then attempt to intercept them upon their flight paths.

2} Work an area walking very, very slowly, using the wind and the lay of the land to hide your presence. Watch for game 90% of the time, walk (step} 10% of the time. Try to sound like a squirrel moving and feeding ect. When you stop, stop by a tree or other object to blend your body form.Once game is spotted, Crawling on hands and knees slowly like a patient cat can get you in range.
 Also, Turkey calls can be used to fool while attempting an approach.

Hunting in favorable conditions

Tracking is now possible, using the above methods and methods used by other hunters such as the Boneits.  

I could expound further, but good books have covered these subjects.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
To be successful the final approach is crucial. Have the bow up and in position with your hand on the string. Look at the ground briefly to plan your steps and look at the animal without staring directly at it. Take your time, any extra movement is liable to attract attention. Cover your face and hands with camo make up work at blending in. Practice every chance you get including animals you have no intention of shooting not all approaches are going to be successful but they will all be exciting.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Chuck C! You caught me. Meant to say upwind but was really tired.
Malachi C.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I read a story in a magazine titled "the man who could touch deer". He said nothing in the woods moves, even on windy days. So to give the illusion your not moving it should take you about a minute and a half to complete a step. I did this a few times and had success only once. It is a very fatuiging way to hunt.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I've killed two does from the ground going to my stands. Both when the leaves were as crunchy as can be. Both times I purposely did not try to be quiet or walk stealthy. One, I heard a doe walking and crouched down. She was going to pass by at 40 yards so i figured whatthe heck and i strted moving and stopped like i ws feeding like she was. She stopped and looked bt did not know what i was. I moved at an angle which brought me closer to her but from her perspective it looked like i was feeding past her. At 20 yards I was able to get a shot off with my very quiet longbow.

Another time i was walking by some mountain laurels heads,(huge thick bushes) when i heard a deer walking on the other side. I stopped and gave a bleat and then continued walking to the end and waited, sure enough the doe got curious and came around the laurels looking for me and i shot her at 10 yards.

Both times if i had walked like i was stalking them their alert system would have made them run off but since they thought i might be another deer or turkey I was able to score on them.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Chuck C! You caught me. Meant to say upwind but was really tired.
I was going to ask if you meant upwind as well. lol.

I would have to agree with the whole crunchy forest floor thing, here in arkansas in the fall, if its dry like it was last year, still hunting/spot and stalk is virtually impossible. The only days I got within spot and stalk range was a couple slightly breezey and drizzly days. But I was moving too fast, didn't expect to spook them where they were, and they bolted before I had spotted them. But I got to within 40 yards before they spooked. If I had been moving slower and actually spotting (gotta get me some good binos) I think I would have seen them and maybe even have gotten closer before I blew it lol. I actually feel lucky to have gotten so close to harvesting a deer several times my first season, I know close doesn't count, but I've heard and read about people that went years before harvesting their first trad deer and I got really, really close several times.

So to sum up, I like to still hunt and spot and stalk when theres a predictable breeze to rustle the leaves and a nice drizzle to dampen the leaves. Even then I still wear 3 pairs of Omni-wool (sams club) socks, or wool socks inside leather moccasins. Heavy boots even when its wet leaves under foot, don't transmit those small twigs and sticks your stepping on to your feet and then "crack" deer goes on alert.
Oh, and always avoid thorn vines and thorn bushes when stalking, even if you have to go way out of your way, those things will blow your cover quicker than the wind changing, nothing says "human coming" like the sound of fabric ripping and snagging on thorns 1/8-1/2" long.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I've had some fun times when it's either really windy or raining or snowing or especially all three!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
cheap water shoes with a wool sock on thme quiets down your footfalls considerably.

also remove your glasses if you can, as they flash light
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I have seen two things happen often enough that there must be something to it. One. It is fall and you have a deer tag and are stalking deer.  You will run into a fall flock of turkeys and they won't be very concerned about you, providing that you do not have a turkey tag. I have been very close to turkeys a number times when in pursuit of deer when I had no turkey tag. Two. Then in the spring and you are trying to get into position for a roving midday tom and you don't have a deer tag, you will walk into deer they will get up, look you over and then calmly go lay down a little ways away and pay very little more attention to you.  There must be something about a hunters intent that animals can pick up on.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
One tip that I don't see. Make sure its a possible stalk. I see lots of guys blow stalks that never had a chance. If it isn't there it isn't there.
is it September yet??

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
On pigs I try to watch them a bit and get ahead of where they are headed. RC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
If the area you hunt is your own back 40, and it is crunchy, take an afternoon and go rake the leaves.  Just hit a couple main trails.  The deer can tell you aren't huning them and likely as not will watch you doing it, if they are around.  Then it isn't crunchy any more !

I do this on my main walk about trail and it is amazing how quiet it can get.  Heck, I have done this on the public land I hunt.  Who cares, nobody else is crazy enough to try ground hunting anymore.
ChuckC

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Good thread Thumpkin, I like to see this type of informative thread. I have started a couple myself (prefered foods of the Whitetail)and( Natural ground blind construction) I think these threads share knowledge for the benefit all hunters, both seasoned and novice. Not only informative,but fun and should be a larger component of the
tradGang experience IMHO.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©