3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Almost season selfbow Woes!!!!!!!  (Read 506 times)

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
Almost season selfbow Woes!!!!!!!
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
I made my first boardbow this spring,It is very slow with alot of follow ,but still shoots.I decided to make a heavier bow to hunt with this year.My second board bow broke on me.My third boardbow turned out to be 56# @28,fairly quick and a good shooter.I also made two stave bows out of locust and osage.They were out of very thin inferior staves,and both these bows turned out very light.They were good experience anyway.Now hunting season is aproaching and my third boardbow started to crack.I had one dry stave left it was Ash.I started making it into a bow yesterday.It turned out 50# with alot of follow.I decided to wrap the handle and finish it today,thought I may have made this years hunting bow.After 20 or 30 arrows it broke.So now I am against season with no selfbow this year.I could use my first boardbow,butit is down to 40# and very slow,I would not feel comfortable past 10 yards.I am depressed ,practiced all summer with a bow that broke before season.Just had to vent.  :(    :(  ....Joe

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Almost season selfbow Woes!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
My philosophy is that I learn more from my failures than from my successes and I'm brilliant, if I do say so myself. I don't know if that helps, but I hope so.

Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Dang Joe,,, I hate to hear that. Do you have another bow you can use to hunt with?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
What Joe said. Do you have a bow you can hunt this year?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Joe, just read your other post. I highly recommend looking into a bow stave from Dryad or Gary Davis(rattlestick bows I think). As close as we are to hunting season, you can't go wrong with these guys, and you won't be as rushed to make your hunting bow. IMO......Terry

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
Take your 40# bow, reflex it about 4" and glue on a backing strip of hickory or bamboo. Either will raise the poundage to what ever you want, speed up the bow and keep it together.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Great advice from Eric!

The other positive is that you get faster at making bows! I noticed you talked about how much string follow you keep running into. I would just say that when you start tillering, slow down a bit, excercise the limbs often without over pulling them. A lot of limbs get stressed too far too early on first bows. We've all been there.

Hey, 10 yards isn't so bad. Makes the hunt exciting!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.I have alot of lam longbows and recurves to hunt with.I just wanted to hunt with my own homemade selfbow.I got alot of personal e-mail offers for abow to hunt with.Sorry if I mislead anyone by saying bowless,I am a little brainless.Thanks everyone

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Hold on a minute,I just read Eric's reply.I don't think I'll mess with the 40# boardbow I made as it was my first and my son helped me,but I do have a 35# osage stave bow I made and quit working on when it turned out to light.What can I do to it?If it breaks or blows It won't hurt my feelings.I'm getting used to breaking my selfbows.Any suggestions?.....Joe

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Sinew maybe?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
No offense but it sounds like you are getting in too big of a hurry. Making a selfbow isn't a fast affair. You shouldn't be trying to make a bow as fast as possible. Take it slow, watch and listen to the wood and exercise it properly. I would bet your success rate will improve greatly if you do.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
I agree ,I've never been a very patient person.Now somebody give me some advice Right now ,I aint got all night!!  :goldtooth:  Just kidding,you are correct.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
LOL. I was hoping I didn't make you mad. I applaud your enthusiasm and hang in there. You'll work it out and start making plenty of shooters.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Something else you have accomplished, Bowjo - it makes for a very interesting and informative thread. Good luck on the Osage (I'll be interested to hear Eric's suggestion for it - and others too of course.)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Bamboo and about this much reflex on your osage bow should give you a finished bow of about 50#.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
I like that idea. I have a Bamboo Backed Osage (by Frank Razo of GA) that is 50#@29" and it's a real arrow spitter! I don't draw 50# on it but it is still fast and packs a wallop at the target, anyway. I likes Bamboo in the mix most anytime/anyway - LOL - got about 4 bows with Bamboo one way or another.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
I have never tried to recurve a bow before.Do you back it first?Do you steam the limbs?Where do you get the bamboo?Got lots of questions now.....Joe

Offline Bowjo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Too many questions?

Online ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
I like the idea of sinew backing for your situation.
 Eric mentioned "reflexing" , that would be different than "recurve". Recurve is putting a nice symetrical curve on the limb tips(maybe the last third of the working limb}. Reflexing usually means bending the entire working portion of the limbs. Both can be occomplished with dry heat or steaming.
 Seams to me that adding a bamboo backing would be more work than what it is worth on an already tillered selfbow. Eric-please correct me if I am wrong, because I have never tried this. But would'nt you have to flatten out your bow back to accept a good glue joint with the bamboo? With all of my osage selfbows, the back has had way too many waves and dips to leave enough limb thickness to accomplish this. The bow in the pic looks like a typical glue-up to me. I have often wondered how you put a bamboo or hickory back {for that matter} on a selfbow that has a natural back on it. I would like to learn something here myself....Terry

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Yes, you would have to flatten the bows back to glue on a backing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©