3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new to trad and 3d shoots  (Read 756 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new to trad and 3d shoots
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
I'll second what Archie and Shawn said based on my experience.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Welcome from Florida!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I Will Not Put Down Compound Bows Or The People That Shoot Them... Just think Trad Archery is a lot more fun. Once you learn how to shoot the right way, you'd be amazed on how accurate you can be!

By the way, I've missed deer at 40 yards with a rifle... Don't Ask!  :(

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
It doesn't matter where you go, or what you shoot (wheel or stick), people are people.  Some are nice, friendly, and inviting while others are standoffish, rude, and cynical.  Just enjoy what you and your kids are doing together.  Others will see that y'all are having a good time with it and then they too may give traditional a try.

At the shooting club where I am a member the number of traditional archers is growing fast.  We now have just as many Trad shooters as compound shooters at the monthly 3D shoots.  In February 2012 there were only 5 of us shooting traditional.  Now there are 20 - 25 people shooting traditional.  I remember the feeling of being "looked down upon" by a lot of the compound shooters at first but after a while they started taking interest in what I, and the others, were doing.  Then before long some of the compound shooters made the switch.

Just hang in there and have fun.  It will be contagious!!!

Offline alteredbeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Mike don't feel bad I've missed a squirrel at 30 feet with a shotgun...made up for that though by taking one at same distance in the neck with a broadhead...was hunting for deer and it wouldn't shut up...tasted good though!

Offline alteredbeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Update...Well it has turned out that now that i've been seen at the range (quite often) some of the Compound guys there have taken an interest in shooting recurve so next year i'll have a bit of competition in my class as well. Next week will be my second shoot and I can't wait. I have been learning the benefits of instinctive shooting and now shoot much tighter groups that way out to 30 yds.

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
I've actually found the opposite to be true -- at the range where I shoot, the compound archers actually seem impressed by the traditional guys. I've run into it myself when shooting. A compound shooter will ask a lot of questions about my equipment and how I shoot, realistic accuracy at distances, costs of equipment, etc. They seem to really like the look of trad gear too -- real feathers on arrows, leather armguards and quivers. Plus, a bacote and cocobola longbow is just gorgeous! Haven't made any converts, but at least the interest and respect is there.

The few times that I have actually shot with my longbow against a compound shooter has been fun. They always beat me at accuracy -- until I bring out the moving targets (a tennis ball swinging on the end of a string). That's where instinctive shooting has a definite advantage over peep sights and such.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline alteredbeast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Yep the other day a couple guys showed up at the range and they had never shot a bow before. One of the regular guys let them shoot his compound for awhile then I let them shoot my recurve after answering questions about how to aim it they did pretty good and we all had a good time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©