3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maine Moose Hunting  (Read 1040 times)

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maine Moose Hunting
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Todd-  I hoped you'd chime in about your hunt with Eldon.  It's hard to describe how much fun those days in Northern Maine were- from floating hidden rivers to stalking clearcuts, the excitement of calling, and lots of close encounters!  I've been putting in every year since I took my bull, waiting for the chance to do it all again.  Talked to Eldon recently and got the "fever" all over again.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I was a 20 year wait person.  Lucky for me the year I drew they added another year of waiting until I can re-apply.  Oh well I will put in again as soon as I can.  Hopefully the next time I get drawn the weather will cooperate a bit more.  Temps in the 80's really shuts down the daytime activity.  No matter, it was still one of the best adventures I have ever been on.

Here is link to the video of the high points of my self-guided adventure.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
up
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Let me put on my ski mask.
Just curious, what other states offer non res- no guide moose? I know Idaho is res only once a lifetime. I bumped many moose there!!
lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Let me put on my ski mask.
Just curious, what other states offer non res- no guide moose? I know Idaho is res only once a lifetime. I bumped many moose there!!
can you apply group in maine?

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Non residents can apply in MT but the odds are steep.Because of wolves,all areas aren't as good as they used to be.You would want to research that before applying.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Reviving this thread.
Another question, I thought of:  
Can you camp most anywhere on the open public lands, or are there designated areas for camping.

Is there an advantage to going in deep to get away from the crowds,  or are you just as well off to camp off the road and walk into an area.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Northwoods runner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
NH and VT allow non resident applications, but NH has drastically reduced the number of permits due to a declining herd. Been waiting 17 years on all three states. Guess that's why I don't buy lottery tickets!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
I gave up on Maine and bit the arrow and went to Newfoundland and had a great time.You do have to have a guide there but lots of moose.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline bigb3303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
whats it cost to enter the maine drawing?

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I'm not aware that you build any poiint one year to the next.  It was my understanding you apply by buying and many chances as you want.  I did it for about 5 years then gave up.  I have 14 Moose points for Utah that I am hoping to draw one day.
T ZZZZ

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigb3303:
whats it cost to enter the maine drawing?
I believe it was $15.00 when I bought a point this past Spring.  I was going to Colorado this past fall and knew I wouldn't be able to do Maine as well, (not that I would have got drawn on my first try anyway) so I just took the point. My son and I are each going to put in every year,  so if one of us lucks out the other can hunt as a permittee on the others tag.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
I call it the "moose donation"-- been putting in since the first year they did it, no results.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Anyone have any information on where camping is allowed?

Offline Northwoods runner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Northern Maine is not like areas in the west in that camping is only allowed at designated campsites. Best to contact The North Maine Woods Assoc. for info concerning their campsites, and The Maine Dept. of Conservation for info on theirs. As an example, the Allagash River corridor is managed by the Dept. of Conservation, but you have to cross thru North Maine Woods managed lands to get there. There are also a few private campgrounds within the NMW Assoc. lands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©