3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beware the man with only one bow.  (Read 1470 times)

Re: Beware the man with only one bow.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I have many bows......but......I only practice with one. I do 98% of my hunting with that same bow. It is my Sarrels Blueridge takedawn longbow. I shoot a lot of 3D and when I go I like to shoot as many rounds as I can. That is the only time my recurve and selfbow come out of the case and see the light of day!

Bisch

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I used to buy 3-4 bows a year, now I have a Toelke Super D.  It's the only bow I need or want.  Kind of boring, but I LOVE that bow.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
I am a one bow guy.  It shoots at the range well, it small game hunts well, it stump-shoots well, it gets after deer/hogs well.  The only thing that it doesn't do well is break down into two pieces to fit in my single cab truck easy.

I do have to admit though, I am not a one arrow kind of guy.  I like a quiver full of those, preferably all tuned to my one bow.   ;)
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline monsterchelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
" Out of a mans heart, The issues of life flow"

Black Widow PSR-V
               47# @ 27
              Howard Hill Montana
               50# @ 27

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bodork:
I have been making laminated longbows for over ten years yet I only use one. I keep a lightweight loaner but don't shoot it. I feel I get accustomed to one and shoot better that way. Every four or five years I make a new one for myself.  I also have and shoot the same 20 ga. shot gun that I bought in 1975! Same wife for 31 years. Same house for 28 years, same dog for 12 years, same truck for 7 years,.....am I boring or what?!!
Nice   :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm down to two...boy was that hard to finally bring myself to do, but my shooting has improved for it.

Only one...I just couldn't do it:)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
All the bows I do have shoot very similarly for me... does that count????

I've contemplated the thought of going down to two basically duplicate bows for years... but, I haven't been successful in the least...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
Having one bow would be like having only one fishing rod, or one flashlight, or one knife, or one pair of shoes, or one.... ok I'll stop there lol. I could never do it, gotta have one thats right for every situation. Sure I could catch crappie with my bass rod, but it wouldn't be the right tool for the job, just like turkey hunting with a 68" longbow in thick cover wouldn't be as effective as my 48" bow. Right now I have 5 bows, and although none of them are the thousand dollar dream sticks some of you tote they all have a place in my arsenal and I have more to add.
1. Red oak longbow backed with canvas. This was my first bow, its 72" and 35# @ 32" I only use it for plinking, won't give it up cause it was my first lol.
2. Hickory selfbow, backup/loaner for bow fishing
3. Heavier poundage hickory selfbow, my bowfishing bow.
4. 62" Osage selfbow, 45# @ 28". My deer hunting bow from last season. Hope to have something a little heavier by next season, but I still plan to take a deer with this someday.
5. 48" Bear Supermag 45# @ 28". This is my turkey/rabbit/thick cover bow.

Bows that I plan to add to the list are...

6. A 68" 55# Reflex Deflex longbow for 3D and competition shooting.
7. A 60" 60# Reflex Deflex osage selfbow for deer/bear/elk hunting.
8. Another recurve like my supermag, but in the 58-64" range 55ish draw weight.
9. Either an Attila bows Ares Horsebow, or a Bearpaw Horsebow Express, cause they look freaking awesome. Maybe both someday, the Express has a center cut arrow shelf.
10. Probably an English Yew Warbow, 100# draw just for the heck of it lol.

And honestly, I doubt I will stop there cause I would also like someday to have a static recurve osage selfbow, and a take down bow of some kind.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »
I enjoy different style bows of various designs.Its an addiction and pastime for me.

I do only shoot one of those bows about a month before the hunting season starts until it ends.

Then its back to shooting all of them.I may shoot a different bow every day after hunting season is over.Kinda like a batting order.Its fun and more interesting for me that way.I dont find it difficult to go from one bow to another really.Minor adjustment period is about it.All the bows fit me well

But I am a 1 bow guy for about 4 months out of the year.The other ones are just eye candy and wall art during hunting season.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
Once you start making your own, it's hard to stop at just one.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »
I may be the odd duck but I think I shoot better switching back and forth between two different bows. I mostly shoot a Black Widow recurve and a Howard Hill longbow. Both bows are completely different but I can shoot them both pretty well. I find when I try to stick to one of them, my shooting gets worse. Then I switch to the other bow and I am back to driving tacks. The only explanation I have for this is after a week or so I will pick up habits I am unaware of. So going to the other bow helps me break the routine.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
I would beware of the man who could shoot any bow!

bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
I'm down to one now, unfortunately it's not THE one!
For me it's about getting rid of a bunch of STUFF that's mostly gathering dust. Trying to simplify my life. Spend more time doing stuff than looking at it.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
I did this for one year ,last year.Then this year I bought two more bows.I have a hunt coming up and I have been jumping around shooting the two new ones trying to decide which one to take.well last night I took my recurve (only bow I shot for a year)out to shoot.Guess which bow I am taking on the hunt?Guess I should have stayed with just one,I shoot it better then the other two

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
I tried.....I tried...

:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
I do shoot one bow, in a way. My three Harrison HHC's are all the same draw weight, length and grip. One is a T/D I shoot the most and the other two are "just in case" because there will never be any more HHC's made and I don't want to run out someday. I picked a Harrison T/D Blackwolf from Leo last month and that is also just like the HHC's in the specs but a slight R/D to it. I can grab any one of them and it feels the same as the others to shoot.  For me, shooting the same bow, even if there are four of them makes me a much better shot.
lll

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I am with bicster.  I think switching around every so often helps my shooting.  A different draw weight and grip causes enough of a change to bring a little focus back to form that might have gotten sloppy.  I usually shoot one bow for awhile, especially before a season.  right now I have been shooting one bow for the last month to get ready for turkey season.  It is tough because I have anew to me whip that I was shooting well.  I will pick that back up in June.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
One Wife Is A Given! Just one bow ain't gonna happen, for me anyway! Can't bring myself to sell any of the ten I now own... Then, maybe... Nevermind!     :dunno:    Like 'em all so much!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
I would beware of the man who could shoot any bow!

bigjim
X2
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
My "go to" bow (21st Century, 62", 51 @ 28") has somehow become my eldest son's bow. (gladly). I now have 2 Mohawks and 2 Hills that I take turns  shooting. After Denton Hill, late July, I will choose my hunting bow for the year and shoot that one 95% of the time. I believe I am on the verge of losing my lighter Mohawk to my youngest son (gladly). So I am unwittingly getting closer to shooting 1 bow. Although, I will be cruising Denton Hill for a takedown longbow this year. :^)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©