3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beware the man with only one bow.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beware the man with only one bow.
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
In the last year I have sold two bows and bought none so the way that I see it when I buy the one I just made a deal on I will be at minus 1 and still have to buy two more to get to 1

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Beware of the man that can shoot ANY bow.     :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
What?  I thought all tradidional archers were bow polygamous.
I think the new term "they" are pushing at us today is "polyamorous"     :saywhat:  

It's like the old "Oak Ridge Bowyers" song-
"Tryin' to love two trad bows is like a ball and chain...   :dunno:  
But usually, it IS!" (Doesn't rhyme, but fits better for many archers)    :rolleyes:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Would rather have one bow that I know and love very well than have many bows that I hardly know. Quality vs Quanity.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
I really gave this a good hard try last year. I went so far as to sell every bow I owned as my long awaited custom was being finished and shipped. I WAS a man with one bow for about a week.

My new radical hybrid longbow was a little too radical for a longbow only shoot I attended that weekend, the next night I bought a Hill style bow off the classifieds.

A year later I'm back up to 6 but I keep telling myself if I buy one more it will be "the one" and I'll finally be a one-bow guy... Just one more....
Thom

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Have 4 but really only shoot 1. Predator Hunter is my go-to bow
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by bicster:
I may be the odd duck but I think I shoot better switching back and forth between two different bows. I mostly shoot a Black Widow recurve and a Howard Hill longbow. Both bows are completely different but I can shoot them both pretty well. I find when I try to stick to one of them, my shooting gets worse. Then I switch to the other bow and I am back to driving tacks. The only explanation I have for this is after a week or so I will pick up habits I am unaware of. So going to the other bow helps me break the routine.
I agree

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Hmm . . . I'm not there yet!  I have a handful of bows I don't want to sell and a few more that I want to try.

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
You need two bows and one cheap lighter weight bow.  Find or decide what is your ultimate bow or the one you like the most, sell or give away all of the others, keep one of your lightest bows or get a cheap one that shoots good enough as breakin/injury bow, buy a second bow that is identical to your ultimate favorite or risk it hoping that the one you have will shoot forever, when all of that is done take your archery allowance and either buy your wife stuff that she doesn't need or give it to the poor.  I will send you my address if you decide to give stuff or money to the poor.  but seriously, I know of only one archer that has shot only a Bear super kodiak since 1970, years ago he decided that his bow was looking its age so he got a new one, an identical weight Super Kodiak.  He doesn't believe in air conditioning and thinks it crazy that you cannot get a car without it. He does not have a computer or a cell phone, okay so he is a really good bow hunter, but he is also a total tight ass.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
only ONEEEE bow  :scared:

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I have one, and a much better one being built now.  I will only shoot the new one when it's done and my first will be a "loaner", or form training as it has lighter limbs.  I can't afford a bunch of nice bows.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Dave shoot one bow and use the extra money for hunting/Shoots and St.Judes Auction!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Hate to say it Bicster and Maineac, but it is a pattern for me as well to start shooting better when I change bows. Usually  when I decide to sell a bow that I have not shot recently it occurs. I'll take it out just to shoot it a few times, oops MISTAKE.

Maybe it requires fresh focus on a little different bow, I don't really know but it has happened too many times for me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I think the shooting a different bow helping your shooting, buying new ones for this or that are all symptoms of NEWBOWITIS.     :archer:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I like that concept, pavan.
I was going to one bow, but two (for a backup) and the one lighter one making sense, means I'd have 3.
I was having a bit of a hard time with the one bow idea, anyway.
And buying stuff for the wife is a good point getter...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
1 bow only here
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I only shoot one bow........at a time!
I consider myself doing well as I am down to 12 longbows. Why shoot just one when therem are so many to try?
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Developing the discipline of simplicity in our lives is an overlooked task in our culture.

I would shoot for narrowing down to three bows: Your main, your backup, and a lightweight loaner/injury bow.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
"Beware the man with but one bow" was actually first uttered by the first dude who showed up at a Trad shoot with only one bow.

Similarly, "Beware the man with but one gun" was first uttered by the first guy to show up on the skeet field with only one shotgun.

Tragically, both men died of embarrassment when they missed their first shots.
Otto

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Buying and selling bows are part of the fun for me. Have 3 bows I made the riser with a set of limbs from a master bowyer[Dye RC, Hummingbird LB, Robertson LB]. Have Widow PSAV, Robertson RC, Titan RC, and Dye RC. Have listed the Dye twice thinking there are too many, then took it off listing after shooting it again. Am hopelessly bow addicted. But the upside is it is fun, and all were bought used at a great price. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©