3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASAT leafy suit  (Read 944 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
ASAT leafy suit
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Thinking of getting one.  Any pros or cons.

Do y'all have issues with string hitting leaves?

Also, I'm 5'-7" and 165#s, do I go with a medium or large?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASAT leafy suit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
I've been using one for over 20 years, it works great on the ground up here in the NE.  I really can't say I have any cons to it.  I've always worn an arm guard to keep the leaves from interfearing with the string.

I'm not sure what size I have, I think XL.  Its the light mesh suit that I wear over my regular clothing.  Had the same suit since '91.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
I like mine.  I wear an arm guard and have no problem keeping the string clear.  Occasionally the zipper to the jacket gets caught in the leaves, but that is an easy fix except when it is cold and you have to take off your gloves.  I'm 5-9 and 185 and have a large that works fine over the top of several layers.  I also like the fact that the legs have side zippers to make removal over boots easy.  It also has a fly which is handy.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
best investment you can make as far as camo.

i'm on my second set in about 12 years. the "leaves" are very soft and flexible, and do not interfere with the string. I don't even wear an arm guard.

I am 6'1" and 245, and I wear the XL. plenty roomy for fitting over clothes.

I have had turkeys walk by at 10 yards and not see me, squirrels climb down the tree and onto my leg, and deer stare right through me at 5 yards.

love it.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
I like this concept a lot because I don't have to spend a fortune on high dollar cold weather gear.
I wear my usual non-camoflauge cold gear and put the light-weight mesh leafy stuff over top.  Works just as nice when its warm,  just less clothes underneath.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Great info. Do any Trad Gang sponsors sell these? Thanks.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Sent u a pm

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Love my leafy suits. I am on my 3rd. one in about 12 years. I use a neoprene knee brace as an armguard and have never had a problem. If it is an issue you can trim the inside of the forearm sleeve. Shawn
Shawn

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I love mine
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Who sells the ASAT leafy suit?

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Put me in the love it category as well. The colors and pattern definitely look odd to the human eye but their effectiveness on deer and turkeys is remarkable. I'm 5'8" 155......go with a large if you want to wear warm clothes under it. I have a medium for spring and early fall but will be buying a large soon for winter use. My leaves are trimmed down on the inside of the arm.....just in case.
Take care,
Jason
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I've used one for 12 years with great success.  I've worn it hundreds of times, and if specific conditions don't put me in a Ghillie suit, the 3-D Vanish Pro ASAT suit is on the job.

The multiflora roses, blackberry bushes, and time have taken a toll on it, and the pattern has faded some but it still quite effective. Still, I bought a backup suit because I never want to be without one.

I wear XL in most clothes, and an XL 3D ASAT suit is OK when it is warm, but fits comfortably over warm clothes later on.  I've even used it with a t-shirt and shorts when it was 80 degrees out, and the mesh fabric helped keep me hunting.

The reason I chimed in on this thread was to let you know of a change in my backup suit.  The waist/crotch/rear area is much bigger than on my first (makes me wonder if it is a mis-marked 2XL).  If I pull them up so the legs are normal length and the crotch is close, the waistband is up around my chest.  I look like a camouflaged Steve Urkel!  Folding them over works OK, but I sure wish they fit like the Old Faithfuls.

Just thought you may want to watch for it or ask a few questions if you order some.

Daryl

PS- I use an arm guard, too, and it all works out great!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I like mine alot. As others have said, I wear an arm guard and have not had a problem with the "leaves" interfering when shooting.
To save wear and tear on mine I stuff it in the carry bag on my Huntmor 360 when walking into a stand. Pull it out when I get there and have it on in a minute or so. When I'm ready to leave I stuff it back in the bag.
The biggest challenge for me was getting the right size. The ASAT people were good to work with and let me mix and match pant and jacket sizes.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I use the top of the leafy suit and ASAT cargo pants quite often. The deer literally look though you. Nothing like it.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Had one, wore it slap out, and picked up a Shaggie suit in it's place.  While I like the Shaggie, I do miss the (lack of) weight and how easy it was to pack away in the bag.   Also worked awesome in my Treesaddle, where the Shaggie works best on the ground.

Eventually I'll get another - they just work so well, for all the right reasons.
Support the sport!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
There's nothing more practical, I've used mine all over the place and it just flat out works.

Online ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
What brands do you folks use? Would like to purchase on but not sure which one to buy!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Thought there was only one ASAT camp leafy suit.
DonD

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I love mine for whitetail hunting. Doesn't hold up real well thru thick stuff so spot n stalk can go with the regular ASAT. Treestand or ground hunting there's nothing better imo. Got minefrom Eders.com
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I love mine for whitetail hunting. Doesn't hold up real well thru thick stuff so spot n stalk can go with the regular ASAT. Treestand or ground hunting there's nothing better imo. Got minefrom Eders.com
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©