3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie Trad  (Read 397 times)

Offline ROSSBOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie Trad
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Hello all, I have recently hung up my compound and began shooting trad and I love it. I bought a brand new samick recurve off of craigslist. Now I want a long bow, and am looking for suggestions on which long bow to strat out with. I dont have a ton of cash, but am in the market around 300. I love the look of the Bear montana, but dont really knwo if that is what I should get. I am looking for a little advice. thank you.
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” -Fred Bear

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie Trad
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Welcome Paul!    :campfire:  I've heard nothing but good things about the Montana, especially the newest version with the grip and tips tweaked a little...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Welcome    :archer2:   but sorry I can't help you with the Montana question.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Paul - welcome.  

Since you are fairly close, I would recommend you hold off on another bow until you get a chance to shoot a few options at some of the trad shoots / shows in the area.  There are a bunch in PA later in the spring/summer.  Check the "Trad Events and Gatherings" forum.  The Baltimore shoot in May is a good one and should afford you the opportunity to shoot a bunch of different used and new bows from both vendors and participants alike.  I think if you read through all of the threads here asking for advice on finding the "right bow" you will find that there is one common piece of advice - that is the grip is critical.  The grip that works for one person won't necessarily work for another.  Going to a shoot and trying a bunch will give you the ability to narrow down your choices.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Welcome Paul. As far as a longbow goes for around 300 I would keep a eye on the classifieds. You can get a real high end bow that may have a couple years on it for a whole lot less than what it were new. Plus,if you go to sell later,it don't sting as bad as if you bought new. Have fun,rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Welcome,to the gang...I'm sure others here can give good advice on a longbow.  :wavey:

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Paul   :wavey:   WELCOME from N.C.  :campfire:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the journey!   :wavey:

X2 on the classifieds but, if you are not in a real hurry, you can get a Lynn Harrelson longbow with minimal wait time for $450.00 with the woods you want. Also Two Tracks builds an awesome longbow. Somethings to think about.   :D
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
Welcome    :campfire:  
  X3 on the classifieds
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
Welcome!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Welcome to the ranks. You are going to have sooooooo much fun!! LOL There are no right and wrong answers here. You will learn to shoot whatever you shoot the most. So long as all things are equal.No absolutes. Its an art not a science.
There are lots of things to consider however. You'll likely have a harder time going from a recurve to a self bow for a variety of reasons. Straight limb "D" bow will have more hand shock than a RF/DF in general. Arrow spine is less critical on a bow cut to center. Silly stuff like that. HA!
Do your home work. Shoot lots of bows. Ask lots of questions. Every one has an opinion. Form yours as you go. Most of all be patient. That is why they make so many different models. We all like things just a little off the beaten path. Traditional archers are like that. ENJOY!
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Paul. Enjoy all the fun.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by ROSSBOWHUNTER:
Hello all, I have recently hung up my compound and began shooting trad and I love it. I bought a brand new samick recurve off of craigslist. Now I want a long bow, and am looking for suggestions on which long bow to strat out with. I dont have a ton of cash, but am in the market around 300. I love the look of the Bear montana, but dont really knwo if that is what I should get. I am looking for a little advice. thank you.
read this, if you haven't already -  www.tradgang.com/docs/trad.html

yer in jersey, yer in luck - come to the whittingham trad event, you will get a great trad education and be well on your way down the right trad archery/bowhunting path.

i'll be there on saturday for the TANJ meeting (11am in the main house).  at noon we'll get some lunch and do some archery talking ... then do some shooting at the muzzy course.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
LIVE THE DREAM, MY GOOD MAN!!!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Welcome!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"